What is the worst thing a guest has done in your home?

3 nights turned into 11. Never. Again.

3 nights turned into 11 nights? Is that what you meant? or 11 months, or 11 years?

Our current situation is a family member who asked if they could stay with us (in our basement family room, which is the only place we had available) during a transition period between the house he was renting being sold at the end of Oct 2018 and him finding a new place. He led us to believe he would not need to stay longer than until just after the holidays. I took that to mean a month, maybe two. It's almost the end of Feb and he has zero plans to leave. My family room has become his studio apartment. :headache: 4 months now. He recently told DH that his "goal" is to TRY to find something by St. Patricks Day, but definitely by Easter.

Really!! Next time, I am clarifying WHICH holiday someone is talking about, before I say they can stay with us!

3 nights turned into 11 nights? Is that what you meant? or 11 months, or 11 years?

Our current situation is a family member who asked if they could stay with us (in our basement family room, which is the only place we had available) during a transition period between the house he was renting being sold at the end of Oct 2018 and him finding a new place. He led us to believe he would not need to stay longer than until just after the holidays. I took that to mean a month, maybe two. It's almost the end of Feb and he has zero plans to leave. My family room has become his studio apartment. :headache: 4 months now. He recently told DH that his "goal" is to TRY to find something by St. Patricks Day, but definitely by Easter.

Really!! Next time, I am clarifying WHICH holiday someone is talking about, before I say they can stay with us!

You need to have a sit-down and give him a date. I would say 30-45 days is sufficient. At this point, he should've saved enough for deposits, etc. (assuming he works) and you're completely within your rights to do so.

To quote Ann Landers: "No one can take advantage of you without your permission."

this happened to my mother.

My adult brother, who was living with mom at the time, had a girl over. This girl went to the bathroom at one point and some time after she left, it discovered that the toilet was clogged. OK, that happens. Mom could not get it unclogged despite all of the plungering that anyone can do. She had to call a plumber and when he snaked the toilet, a cucumber popped out. Yes, a cucumber. Who in the heck does something like that? And how premeditated does this have to be for someone to bring the cucumber into someone's home to start with?

Never figured out a motive. Mom couldn't think of anything she said to inspire this girl to do this.

3 nights ended up being 11 nights. DH had a friend who was supposed to be in town for a long weekend to look at some homes/apartments because he was going to be moving this way. I'm not a fan of the friend, but DH likes him so for 3 nights whatever. HE WOULD NOT LEAVE! One excuse turned into another, and he was so needy. DH & I would leave to go to work and "friend" would just stay at the house and watch TV/play video games, then get annoyed when it took me a while to prepare dinner for everyone when I got back from work. He was very rude. I about lost it on him when he was irritated that my washing machine was not available when he wanted it (did not realize I was a hotel, restaurant, and laundromat). Also, he routinely argued with me while freeloading at my own house. All I wanted was my peace and quiet back. I started finding reasons to work late it was so bad! Said friend is not allowed at the house ever again. He probably would have stayed longer but I had just had it at that point and kicked him out.

29 yr old nephew puked all over the living room rug after one of our Christmas bonfires. I have pics of him scrubbing the heck out of the rug the next day with his wife watching over him for him to do it correctly. I actually felt kind of bad for him as he really wasn't feeling good while cleaning the carpet.

this happened to my mother.

My adult brother, who was living with mom at the time, had a girl over. This girl went to the bathroom at one point and some time after she left, it discovered that the toilet was clogged. OK, that happens. Mom could not get it unclogged despite all of the plungering that anyone can do. She had to call a plumber and when he snaked the toilet, a cucumber popped out. Yes, a cucumber. Who in the heck does something like that? And how premeditated does this have to be for someone to bring the cucumber into someone's home to start with?

Never figured out a motive. Mom couldn't think of anything she said to inspire this girl to do this.

WTH!

SET A DATE YOU WANT HIM OUT.

a neighbor had a similar situation and it took over 2 years to get the guy out. at least she had the foresight to research landlord tenant laws b/c we know of others who accepted a few bucks 'just to help with the utilities' and got stuck with the freeloader using tenants rights laws to stay on/run up the homeowner's legal bills (while they used free legal aid).

dh had a close friend and when we moved out of state he started making comments about wanting to come visit 'for a few days'. i told dh 'no way' b/c when he visited us and lived locally a short visit would stretch to overnight to a few days-we would literally have to get him into a car and dump him back at his apartment/wherever he was crashing at the time. no way was i going to have him show up and decide he wanted to relocate-to our home.

This was before DH and I were married, but his brother came to visit unexpectedly while DH was in grad school. He was 32 at the time but picked up an undergrad in the local bars and brought her home, to my house. She basically moved in for almost 2 weeks. NOT that I saw much of them, as they spent most of the time in bed, for two weeks!!

My FIL came to visit and took over the entire house. He rewired all our electronics (stereo, radio, VCR, TV... this was back in the early 80s) to work through one remote control. He knew I'd bought cherries to make pie for dessert for Christmas, but HE wanted to make the pies so he threw the cherries into the yard and bought canned pie filling instead. He rearranged all the furniture in the family room, and rearranged the kitchen cabinets. NEVER let people stay in the house while you are at work- they take over!!

We like to host big parties and during one of them several years ago, a friend of DS11 carted DS7's Cozy Coupe upstairs and started riding it on the second-floor landing in front of the railing. I discovered it and put a stop to it just when he was about to ride it down the stairs. When it was time to leave, he decided to hide from his mom in a closet. She looked for him for 15 minutes and couldn't find him. Since she's a pretty wimpy mom I ended up having to yell for him and threaten him to get him to reappear. I've had to do that before or since with any of my kids' friends. He wasn't invited over after that.

I saw this meme today and just couldn't help but think of this thread :rotfl:

oh-hey-youre-home-early-weknowmemes-35557138.png

When I was younger, we went to Disneyland. We lived next door to my aunt & uncle at the time. They got a delivery of about 100 baby chickens. They didn't have a chicken coop ready so my uncle blocked off the kitchen in our house and left them there while we were gone. We came home to a huge mess and a very smelly house. It caused a lot of problems between our family and theirs. My aunt and uncle divorced not too long after.

Last edited:
If it’s his Dad’s house isn’t it his house too?
She said “DHs college age son” which leads me to think he is her stepson. So no, a college age guy should know better than to walk around naked in a home where he might encounter his stepmother. .

My story. We had a surprise 40 th birthday for DHs best friend. It included his aunts, uncles, cousins and friends. So one of the cousins and the cousin’s fiancée go into the bathroom together. They’re in there “quite a while” and making a bit of noise. I only had one bathroom at the time and a line was forming. Finally the cousin’s mother bangs on the door and shouts “whatever is going on in there, wrap it up. There’s people out here who need the bathroom”. I’m guessing that having his mother bang on the door probably wrapped things up pretty quickly. ;). The 2 of them came out of the bathroom. Neither looked all that embarrassed. I looked at the next person in line and said “can you hold it a couple of minutes while I bleach things in there?” Their response was “ABSOLUTELY”.

Same party same couple. Apparently they weren’t on the same page about what kind of first home to buy. He wanted a reasonable “starter” home. She wanted a large home which apparently she felt fit her station in life as a 30 something who likes to get busy in other peoples bathrooms. So he’s going on andvon about our house, what a nice size it is etc. She says “yes. It’s a cute little house but I don’t want to live all cramped like this”. Mind you I live in an 1800 SF Cape Cod style home which held the 40 people who were at the party she was attending at that moment quite comfortably.

They didnt stay married long. Big surprise.

Last edited:
About 12 years ago my brother and his ex-wife came and stayed at our place. It was supposed to be an opportunity for him to tour the college campus and meet with people to discuss their programs. Instead the ex-wife (gf at the time) decided that sleeping all day and staying out all night and encouraging my brother to skip the appointments was a better use of their time. They got mad at us because we made too much noise! Our girls were 2yo and 6 months! And we were functional with jobs and had to be up early to get their to daycare. The highlight was finding out that ex-wife was doing cocaine in our bathroom. Kicked them out and scrubbed the bathroom. Found random pills in the living room where they were staying. Needless to say we were not invited to the wedding.

When I was younger, we went to Disneyland. We lived next door to my aunt & uncle at the time. They got a delivery of about 100 baby chickens. They didn't have a chicken coop ready so my uncle blocked off the kitchen in our house and left them there while we were gone. We came home to a huge mess and a very smelly house. It caused a lot of problems between our family and theirs. My aunt and uncle divorced not too long after.

Sounds like this would make a good "I Love Lucy" episode. ;)

pic_ep172c.jpg

Last edited:
I'm guessing the uncle was a wanna-be chicken farmer with no experience, or at least I sure hope so. Chicken guano smells to high heaven of ammonia if it is left to sit for awhile; if it was on your floors (as opposed to a portable coop to keep them contained in a temporary situation), the house would smell like a meth lab.

I'm guessing the uncle was a wanna-be chicken farmer with no experience, or at least I sure hope so. Chicken guano smells to high heaven of ammonia if it is left to sit for awhile; if it was on your floors (as opposed to a portable coop to keep them contained in a temporary situation), the house would smell like a meth lab.

The smell was really awful. My dad was furious. It caused a lot of problems within the family.

And, no, my uncle wasn’t an experienced chicken farmer. I’m sure that’s obvious!

I'll be the only one to admit to being bad guests! We had a couple weeks before closing on a house before we got married, so stayed with DH's parents until we could move in.

One night, we were out with friends, and DH drank too much. I drove him home, and then sent him to the bathroom while I got ready for bed. He exited the bathroom and made a wrong turn into his parents bedroom where he belly-flopped between them while they were sound asleep. His dad woke up disoriented, thought DH was their big dog, so was kicking and cussing at the "damn dog" for getting into bed with them. All the ruckus scared his mom, so she jumped out of bed screaming.

Funniest thing ever. His mom told that story until the day she died.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter