What kind of unique dishes are from your area?

I'm from North NJ. We have a famous sub at a famous deli nearby called "The Godfodda" (and yes, you have to pronounce it like that when you order it!) The sandwich is made up of a fried chicken cutlet with mozzarella, bacon, and Russian dressing.

Ooooh, sounds yummy!

Sugar cream pie and deep fried breaded pork tenderloins.

I'd never heard of sugar cream pie, so I had to look it up:

https://sweets.seriouseats.com/2012/05/american-classics-hoosier-sugar-cream-pie.html

That looks good as well!

NC barbecue. It's made for every occasion here. Someone dies...make barbecue for the family. Raising money for a charity...sell barbecue. A celebration...serve barbecue. I hate the stuff!

I live in the Buffalo area, but frequently go to Rochester.

Garbage Plates (or the variations NOT official from Nick Tahou; Trash Plate, Genny Plate at the Genesee Brew House, Junk Pile, Pig Plates) with home fries or french fries, Mac salad, baked beans, topped with a hot dog or hamburger or both, covered with meat sauce, onions, mustard, and ketchup. It varies what's on them, but it's usually a pile of food on a plate.

I live in WNY...
chicken wings, blue cheese, beef on weck, fish fry. hamburgers...

Don't forget Buffalo-style pizza, the great halfway between NYC and Chicago style.

More from Buffalo: Chicken finger subs, pierogi, sponge candy,
Chiavetta's (or Cornell BBQ) chicken...

And every hole in the wall pizza place has pretty good wings, pizza, chicken finger subs, and beef on weck. Fish fries too, but I don't eat fish, so...

All this talk of regional cooking decided me what to do with the 2 extra potatoes the man bought that I didn't ask for- he's like an ethnic grandma when it comes to buying food: more is more. We rarely eat starches/carbs (wellll I don't), so smh and figured I'd have to work them into the week's menu before they started to turn green.

Boiled 'em with about a 1/2 cup of kosher salt for 30 minutes, melted some butter and shallots (chives are traditional) in the nuker, let the potatoes dry, and served with the butter placed in a lil pitcher to pour over the taters. So we ate my version of salt potatoes, a Syracuse fav. Maybe I'll try Cornell chicken next week.

Gotta try making the Hoosier sugar pie one of these days! The technique reminds me of another pie....maybe shoofly?

Bmore..

Soft shell crab sandwiches
Steamed crabs
Cream of Crab soup
Maryland Crab soup
Uhhh, you get the idea

Buffalo...
Pizza
Wings
Beef on Weck
Fish Fry (most popular during Lent)

Too many to name :)

Gumbo
Anything with crawfish in it
Mirliton casserole
Red beans and rice
Hurricane (drink)
Beignets
Jambalaya
King cake !!!!!!

Etc etc
That was going to be my exact quote “too many to name”
I’ll add
Etouffe
And king cake should be mentioned twice! Lol! I am a king snob too!

I honestly can’t think of anything that’s truly regional here. I guess like a PP said the closest thing I can think of is Stone Crabs. But because we’re in the middle of the state and not a southern coast it’s not the same.

But I guess to my area the restaurant Beefy King (I’ve never been there, it’s a sandwich place) has been around for like 50 years and some famous people have come to our non-tourist side of the city to eat there.

Stuffed ham. Usually around the holidays. Stuffed with combination of cabbage and kale with spices then boiled or baked.

Sucre’ is my all time favorite king cake.
I’m a Randazzo’s & Haydel’s girl. But I like Sucre’ too. It’s just different. By snob I mean I don’t do grocery store king cake & I’ve yet to have any outside of NOLA that I like.

neither of which I like. LOL!!!!

Lobstah roll - the real deal not that rock lobster. Nothing like the good bugs

We oddly have savage lobster rolls a 1 minute walk from my place. The owner is from Maine and won “best lobster roll in the country” last year at a contest in Maine.

But the real local specialty is funeral potatoes.

Fish boils.
Lake Trout, boiled in big kettles over an open fire, with red potatoes and pearl onions.

Deep fried cheese curds-the best are made with brick cheese.

I’m a Randazzo’s & Haydel’s girl. But I like Sucre’ too. It’s just different. By snob I mean I don’t do grocery store king cake & I’ve yet to have any outside of NOLA that I like.

I like Gambinos for a more traditional one.

Springfield, IL is home of the Horseshoe Sandwich.

A piece of toasted bread (usually Texas Toast), topped with the meat of your choice (a hamburger, turkey, or ham are the favorites), smothered in homemade cheese sauce (not nacho cheese), and topped with french fries.

Places are judged on their cheese sauce, and we even have Horseshoe making contests.

They are so amazing, but a heart attack on a plate, for sure.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter