• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What kind of unique dishes are from your area?

I have never had a lobster roll but they look sooo tasty!

Is there a particular roll that is exactly for lobster rolls? I honestly thought they used hot dog rolls
A lobster roll can also be called a split top bun which is great for keeping the meat from falling on to your plate. Also the better one's are made from a denser dough then some regular hot dog buns. Lobster roll buns also tend to have squared off ends which could be to distinguish one style from the other at the bakery or to give more texture; dunno just guessing, LOL.

This is what it looks like:

split-top-lobster-roll-example.jpg

and if you are traveling in New England Pepperidge Farms version are easy to find in the supermarket or the various Pepperidge Farms outlets. They also freeze nicely especially if you plan to toast 'em.

A lobster roll can also be called a split top bun which is great for keeping the meat from falling on to your plate. Also the better one's are made from a denser dough then some regular hot dog buns. Lobster roll buns also tend to have squared off ends which could be to distinguish one style from the other at the bakery or to give more texture; dunno just guessing, LOL.

This is what it looks like:

split-top-lobster-roll-example.jpg

and if you are traveling in New England Pepperidge Farms version are easy to find in the supermarket or the various Pepperidge Farms outlets. They also freeze nicely especially if you plan to toast 'em.

Ohhhh. I see! Very different from hot dog rolls!

Well, since New England has been covered pretty well, I will pick a dish from my back home area and say Saskatoon Berry Pie (or anything made with Saskatoon berries).
Ahem....no one has mentioned Rhode Island's version of clam chowder and it's stone ground johnnie cakes or even NH's grapenut ice cream but but OK:D.
Still haven't toured much of Canada besides parts of the east coast (cretons are not just for breakfast!) but I'm a total sucker for berries. Now added to my culinary bucket list:).

@luvsJack : ...smile, when you say that, pardner! Errrrrrrr I get a lil tiny bit passionate about food;).

Ahem....no one has mentioned Rhode Island's version of clam chowder and it's stone ground johnnie cakes or even NH's grapenut ice cream but but OK:D.
Still haven't toured much of Canada besides parts of the east coast (cretons are not just for breakfast!) but I'm a total sucker for berries. Now added to my culinary bucket list:).

@luvsJack : ...smile, when you say that, pardner! Errrrrrrr I get a lil tiny bit passionate about food;).

I love arguing chowdah with people and then quietly dropping Rhode Island style on them. My favorite chowdah I bought during my life in NE was at a shop called Menemsha Fish Market on MV. Done properly and not thickened.

I like these so well, I talked DH into carrying them in his store. Now he just brings them home and I cook them in my air Fryer!

I love these threads, I google and pintress lots of things!
What’s the name of his store? I’ll send a sample of my condiment there. I wouldn’t expect him to carry it, but just to share it with ya.

Abbott's Lobsters in Noank, CT makes both a mean lobster roll AND a Rhode Island (broth-based) chowder. If you can pull yourself away from the so-fresh-it's kicking-when-you-order whole lobsters. They serve lobster rolls both hot (with melted butter) and cold (mixed with a touch of mayo and celery). I grew up there, my sister still lives in the area, so we go when we visit in the summer months. You eat outside on a dock, fighting off seagulls while the lobster boats pull up with their catches. Not fancy at all, but man, it's good eating!

I have lived here for nearly 14 years and have NEVER ONCE heard of Rhode Island clam chowder. I had to look it up. Now I need to take a short road trip to find some to try. I learn something new on the Disboards nearly every day!

I love arguing chowdah with people and then quietly dropping Rhode Island style on them. My favorite chowdah I bought during my life in NE was at a shop called Menemsha Fish Market on MV. Done properly and not thickened.
RI chowder is da best for when you feel icky sticky ill and I've been working on perfecting the making of it for a few years now. Got to get the right mixture of quahogs to steamers and I just haven't done it yet; still have time.
Gotta say that Menemsha is a blast from my past name and unfortunately I've never been there or anywhere in Chilmark. Used to bicycle camp on the island and mostly explored Edgartown, Oak Bluff and the Haven. There was a limit on how far the legs would take you, LOL. Stayed in a now long closed campground probably in Tisbury so food shopping was normally a straight run. I need to get back there with a car, LOL.

RI chowder is da best for when you feel icky sticky ill and I've been working on perfecting the making of it for a few years now. Got to get the right mixture of quahogs to steamers and I just haven't done it yet; still have time.
Gotta say that Menemsha is a blast from my past name and unfortunately I've never been there or anywhere in Chilmark. Used to bicycle camp on the island and mostly explored Edgartown, Oak Bluff and the Haven. There was a limit on how far the legs would take you, LOL. Stayed in a long closed campground probably in Tisbury so food shopping was normally a straight run. I need to get back there with a car, LOL.

I do believe that campground is still there, although I permanently moved away a few years back. It was supposed to be a couple of years there at the Harborview and then back to NYC, but, uhhh, things got in the way.

I live in Richmond, Va but went to college an hour away in Williamsburg, Va. The Cheese Shop is an institution in Williamsburg. I always get the smoked turkey with cheddar on french bread with extra house dressing. It's the house dressing that makes it. People buy bags of the bread ends and containers of the dressing just for dipping the bread in. It's that good!

20110924-221104.jpg

o.jpg

:faint:

Now there is no doubt that there is a place and time for a typical NE cold lobby roll but but don't be dissing my nabes up I-95 in CT.
Their version can be eaten all winter long since it's served hot (if you can find any place opened besides Lenny and Joe's:D) with big chunks of butter glistening claws, knuckle and tail meat, again on the proper roll (lightly toasted) because well a hotdog roll is obviously fer something else

CZ_EedNUMAAavsQ.jpg

:littleangel:

Nope not a real lobstah roll. Not a proper roll & warm, nope. But then again CT so yeah maybe.

I don't think any of the dishes San Francisco is known for are unique any more. They're so good, everyone tries to copy them.

While not technically in the city, Chez Panisse was an innovator that has been copied all around the country. They were ground zero for California Cuisine. They were doing farm to market far sooner than it caught on anywhere else.

While not technically in the city, Chez Panisse was an innovator that has been copied all around the country. They were ground zero for California Cuisine. They were doing farm to market far sooner than it caught on anywhere else.

Unfortunately now that a bunch of people are doing farm to table all across the country, it has become a bit compromised. Lots of places simply lie these days.

Unfortunately now that a bunch of people are doing farm to table all across the country, it has become a bit compromised. Lots of places simply lie these days.

Agreed. Last time I was in Las Vegas even the Whole Foods was using the local produce marketing plug. I thought we are in the middle of the desert and nothing grows within miles of Las Vegas. None of it is local. At least they were somewhat honest and actually gave the name of the farm and how my miles is was from Las Vegas. Many of the farms were 150 miles away.

Agreed. Last time I was in Las Vegas even the Whole Foods was using the local produce marketing plug. I thought we are in the middle of the desert and nothing grows within miles of Las Vegas. None of it is local. At least they were somewhat honest and actually gave the name of the farm and how my miles is was from Las Vegas. Many of the farms were 150 miles away.

I don't consider that too far away. That's less than the distance that a lot of farmers travel to farmers markets in my area. You can grow almost anything in the desert with enough water - especially tropical plants that need the heat. Central California is practically a desert, but it's considered the most fertile farmland in the United States.

Haven't read the whole thread but I will steal the Upper Peninsula of Michigan's signature dish..... pasties. Yum!! :)

BEC bacon egg and cheese on a roll
Pizza
Bagels

Those are the 3 things I can think of that everyone who comes back to Long Island wants to have.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter