What kind of unique dishes are from your area?

Sonoran hot dogs - this manna from heaven includes:
- hot dog wrapped in bacon
- pinto beans (not refried beans)
- a bit of shredded cheese
- pico de gallo
- sour cream - none of that thick "dollop of Daisy" stuff. This stuff is runny
- Mexican guacamole - not the traditional American guac that's thick & chunky. This guacamole is runny & they drizzle it on top
- if you want, some pickled red onion
- salsa of your choice (usually 3 or 4 options that you spoon on yourself)

And then there's Indian fry bread tacos...
Yes, that's really what they're called. The local Native Americans call it that. Fried dough in the shape of a tortilla, but thicker. Topped with a couple of different options:
- dessert style w/hone & powdered sugar
- red chile (not chili, that's different) beef
- green chile beef

You can also get the meat topped with beans, lettuce, tomatoes, & cheese if you want. Inexpensive, but very filling & very tasty. Sorry, no gluten free options available.

Any dish made with fresh local ingredients. Dungeness crab steamed, sockeye salmon grilled over a cedar plank, oysters prepared simply, spot prawns, morels/porcini/chanterelles mushrooms.

Calabash seafood! I had never heard of it before we moved here. The batter is super thin and crispy--not a huge mouthful of breading like you get other places.

Southern fried chicken is amazing. I had thought fried chicken was fried chicken, but...no.

Barbecue means very different things in different states. In the Northeast, we became accustomed to ketchup-based sauce. But in NC, it's vinegar-based, while SC it's mustard-based. Both with pork, as opposed to Texas where it's beef, and Kentucky where it's mutton.

Another tasty one is Carolina Pie/Atlantic Beach Pie. It's like a key lime pie with a crushed saltine crust. Sweet and creamy and tart and salty, all rolled into one.

Homemade Southern Fried Chicken... the outside must be so crispy and the inside so moist and tasty... My grandmother's was the best... she has passed on now, she gave me her " chicken pan" which I cherish.

Lemon Meringue Pie

BBQ with sweet coleslaw on top.

Sweet Iced Tea... the real sweet tea, with real sugar.

Kitchen sink cookies...

Homemade Southern Fried Chicken... the outside must be so crispy and the inside so moist and tasty... My grandmother's was the best... she has passed on now, she gave me her " chicken pan" which I cherish.

Lemon Meringue Pie

BBQ with sweet coleslaw on top.

Sweet Iced Tea... the real sweet tea, with real sugar.

Kitchen sink cookies...

See, I used to make fried chicken, and I thought I was fairly good at it. But now--I know I'm out of my league down here. Heck, the Colonel is out of his league--much better places to get amazing fried chicken (we like Smithfield's, but even Hardee's and Bojangles to a better job than KFC!)

I have to confess, I can't drink Sweet Tea. I love regular iced tea, but the syrupy-thick sweet tea is just "diabetes in a cup" to me--I can't choke it down.

We oddly have savage lobster rolls a 1 minute walk from my place. The owner is from Maine and won “best lobster roll in the country” last year at a contest in Maine.

But the real local specialty is funeral potatoes.

Obviously Haddads’s lobstah roll was not entered. :thumbsup2:rotfl2: They are the absolute best. And if a place serves it anything other than cold in a New England style roll - not a real lobstah roll.

American Chop Suey

:confused3 Nothing really; Alberta Triple-A beef is pretty renowned across the country for it's premium quality, so I guess there's that. If I had to think of something more distinctive I could say pies, jelly and preserves made from saskatoons, a wild berry that are native to the Canadian prairies. Most people will have never heard of them but the annual saskatoon harvest is still a pretty big deal.

Obviously Haddads’s lobstah roll was not entered. :thumbsup2:rotfl2: They are the absolute best. And if a place serves it anything other than cold in a New England style roll - not a real lobstah roll.

American Chop Suey

:faint:

Now there is no doubt that there is a place and time for a typical NE cold lobby roll but but don't be dissing my nabes up I-95 in CT.
Their version can be eaten all winter long since it's served hot (if you can find any place opened besides Lenny and Joe's:D) with big chunks of butter glistening claws, knuckle and tail meat, again on the proper roll (lightly toasted) because well a hotdog roll is obviously fer something else

CZ_EedNUMAAavsQ.jpg

:littleangel:

Now there is no doubt that there is a place and time for a typical NE cold lobby roll but but don't be dissing my nabes up I-95 in CT.
Their version can be eaten all winter long since it's served hot (if you can find any place opened besides Lenny and Joe's:D) with big chunks of butter glistening claws, knuckle and tail meat, again on the proper roll (lightly toasted) because well a hotdog roll is obviously fer something else

CZ_EedNUMAAavsQ.jpg

I have never had a lobster roll but they look sooo tasty!

Is there a particular roll that is exactly for lobster rolls? I honestly thought they used hot dog rolls

Fired chicken and sweet tea from the south have already been mentioned so I will have to say:

Fried MS farm raised catfish.

Other things I don’t know if they are particularly southern but all southern Mississippi grandmas know how to make:

Southern homemade biscuits
Tomato gravy
Sausage gravy
Pecan pie
Chicken and dumplings (rolled out dumplings)
Cornbread dressing with or without chicken

I love a hot lobster roll, I love a lobster salad roll. Any singular characteristic doesn’t make it good or bad to me, except for that the lobster is properly cooked and not cooked to an eraser texture is what’s important.

upload_2018-10-7_10-9-53.jpeg

I don't think any of the dishes San Francisco is known for are unique any more. They're so good, everyone tries to copy them.

Cioppino.
It's It Ice cream cookie sandwiches.
Crab Louis
Mission Style Burritos.
Green Goddess dressing.
Sourdough bread.
Ghirardelli chocolates
Rice A Roni.
Dungeness crab.

About the only ones I don't see imitated or sold all over the county are Joe's special or a hangtown fry or Kung Pao Pastrami.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter