Which Planned/ Heavily Rumored Projects will Get Cancelled?

Disney has lots of projects planned for the next 5 years. Some announced, some heavily rumored. While we all hope they follow through and complete all that is planned, Disney has a long history of cutting projects prematurely due to costs, recessions, and other factors.

Which of the latest projects rumored or announced will get cancelled? Speculation and armchair imagineers welcome.

I just don't see a super high-tech "Pirates of the Caribbean Shanghai"-style ride coming to a new World Showcase pavilion (I know the rumor was Brasil). I'd LOVE it, but I think they've got more than enough E-ticket rides in the Epcot slate right now.

I just don't see a super high-tech "Pirates of the Caribbean Shanghai"-style ride coming to a new World Showcase pavilion (I know the rumor was Brasil). I'd LOVE it, but I think they've got more than enough E-ticket rides in the Epcot slate right now.
Actually by multiple insiders there will be no Shanghai tech Pirates in US at all for the foreseeable future due to cost of the tech.

My money is on Brazil in WS. This has been rumored so many times and it just seems like there is no Disney corporate interest in WS additions. And I get it. If you need somewhere to eat, and you don't have reservations, you can ALWAYS go somewhere in WS. They don't need more restaurants, though they just added the Japan one. The gift shops are generally crappy and generic. A new land without a ride is going to be a lukewarm add. It requires bringing in more help from another country and managing it. All this is small stuff, but it adds up to where is the upside? Really the only upside is WS is pretty stale. I don't know, I could be way off on this one. But I just don't see the monetary upside of another pavilion out there. It's not going to drive customers like a new ride will.

My money is on Brazil in WS. This has been rumored so many times and it just seems like there is no Disney corporate interest in WS additions. And I get it. If you need somewhere to eat, and you don't have reservations, you can ALWAYS go somewhere in WS. They don't need more restaurants, though they just added the Japan one. The gift shops are generally crappy and generic. A new land without a ride is going to be a lukewarm add. It requires bringing in more help from another country and managing it. All this is small stuff, but it adds up to where is the upside? Really the only upside is WS is pretty stale. I don't know, I could be way off on this one. But I just don't see the monetary upside of another pavilion out there. It's not going to drive customers like a new ride will.
I don't disagree with anything you said. One thing to keep in mind, though, is the frequency in which Brazilian tourists visit. From what I understand the parks have seen a huge dip in Brazilian visitors due to the state of their economy right now, but I could see them using it as a big pull - especially if they have plans eventually to add a Brazilian attraction.

Did you just say the WS gift shops are crappy and generic? Blasphemy!!

I don't disagree with anything you said. One thing to keep in mind, though, is the frequency in which Brazilian tourists visit. From what I understand the parks have seen a huge dip in Brazilian visitors due to the state of their economy right now, but I could see them using it as a big pull - especially if they have plans eventually to add a Brazilian attraction.
I’ve never understood the “Brazilian visitors come here, we should make a fanciful imitation of their home” argument. If I was an American traveling overseas, I don’t think id want to spend time in an imitation of the statue of liberty or the Golden Gate Bridge at a foreign theme park.

I’ve never understood the “Brazilian visitors come here, we should make a fanciful imitation of their home” argument. If I was an American traveling overseas, I don’t think id want to spend time in an imitation of the statue of liberty or the Golden Gate Bridge at a foreign theme park.
I agree, personally. It's part of the reason the OG California Adventure failed so spectacularly. Just saying that there is a precedent for it.

I agree, personally. It's part of the reason the OG California Adventure failed so spectacularly. Just saying that there is a precedent for it.
I guess the question would be is there a *positive* precedent for it? As we all know who CA did at opening

Although some of the original theming was better than what they have now. Orange Stinger was better than Silly Symphony Swings and Mulholland Drive was better than Goofy’s Sky School. A couple of the rides are county fair quality, so that doesn’t help (wheel of death and Golden Zephyr) The rest is pretty solid though.

Exactly what I was thinking. I'm not a big fan of Brazil being in the WS anyway.

Did you just say the WS gift shops are crappy and generic? Blasphemy!!
The shops look the same and carry the same stuff they have had since 2009 at least. I was kind of excited when I saw they were doing work at Mitsukoshi , but then I went after they were done and it just moved a few things. I get it's tough, there needs to be some familiarity for people that don't go often, and they can't change everything all the time for those that go frequently, but IMO, it is pretty stale walking through WS. Even food and Wine has mostly the same stands with the same food year after year. I guess people love it though so what do I know.

Exactly what I was thinking. I'm not a big fan of Brazil being in the WS anyway.
I have no problem with Brazil being in the showcase, but I really don’t think this rationale would be why Disney would choose it over others. Ultimately if it ever happens it’ll come down to how much a third party company is willing to put up for construction and running of the pavilion

I have no problem with Brazil being in the showcase, but I really don’t think this rationale would be why Disney would choose it over others. Ultimately if it ever happens it’ll come down to how much a third party company is willing to put up for construction and running of the pavilion
My guess is $$$$ Per multiple reports they are getting $$$ from some corporate sponsorship from Brazil, since Disney isn't fitting the whole bill, they may be more open to that country.

I could see it going either way. Most of the reported projects are already in production to some degree so less liekly to be dropped than the rumored stuff Brazil pavilion seems to be the biggest rumor which gives it more precedence to make it but seems the easiest to drop as well, especially with the history of the rumors of it over the years. One big thing I could see hindering it is Disney push to add IPs into the lands to draw in families and they don't really have a major IP tied to Brazil. There was very strong rumors of a Spain pavilion to come out tied in with an attraction based around Little but when the movie got cancelled so was teh land. Think corporate/government sponsorship would be the big thing to push it through.

It's probably, because they decided to spend their billions on buying FOX instead.

And, ESPN is hemorrhaging money, and they've spent a lot on the streaming service. I've read where revenues from the parks are offsetting losses in other areas.

That doesn't leave a lot for a big expansion or another gate.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter