Another relationship question

Political beliefs? I can discuss this type of difference politely if need be and prefer to.Should there be a romantic spark doubt political differences would matter.

Religious beliefs? The die was set for me when my R.C. mother married the probable atheist son of an Episcopalian priest whose second wife was a holy rolling Baptist.

I need integrity and intellectual stimulation for a long-term relationship and if you're cute and fit that helps too...oops.

No. It would be a deal breaker.

It always has been for me. My friends would laugh because I have always maintained that I've never slept with someone of a different party. That has obviously not worked out for me, so I went into the new year thinking of dating different types of men. I thought the Dis would provide me with a cross - section and some perspectives, and it is.

I thank all ya'll so much.

Political beliefs? I can discuss this type of difference politely if need be and prefer to.Should there be a romantic spark doubt political differences would matter.

Religious beliefs? The die was set for me when my R.C. mother married the probable atheist son of an Episcopalian priest whose second wife was a holy rolling Baptist.

I need integrity and intellectual stimulation for a long-term relationship and if you're cute and fit that helps too...oops

I think this is where I'm landing.

My ex-husband and I had slightly differing political views--he is conservative while I am very liberal, but we are both registered democrats. Then he voted for Romney and we had a bit of a fight about it but that's not what sunk our marriage or anything. We are both very different religions and that caused a lot of friction for us too but again, not what killed our marriage.

In the past, and I'm talking about more than 25 years ago, we had very different political views. That said, over the years I think we've both managed to come together and meet somewhat in the middle. Given todays climate, there's no way I could have polar opposite political views of the man I married (or dated). In fact, considering what's going on in today's world, if he was ok with what's happening, I wouldn't respect him at all and would think he was unintelligent and a racist pig.

As for religion, we are both atheists. I think it would be weird if he was religious and I wasn't. There would probably be a lack of respect between us if we had different views on religion.

Last edited:
I think I could handle it as long as the other person is intellectually honest. If you’re one of those “everything this side does is perfect and everything that side does is crap” kind of people, you probably have issues extending way beyond politics. And I couldn’t blame the failure on politics were that the case.

My husband and I have different political views. We have been together 28 years. We know what topics push each other buttons and tend to stay away from them. We each voted for a different presidential candidate.
Same here. We can have conversations and sometimes we both come away with a new view on things. When it starts to get heated we step away.

Should be fun since we’re taking a sociology class together this semester that is heavy on class discussion lol.

Yes, DW and I are different. She has political views. I go out of my way to avoid any and all politics...I can't stand them. We simply don't talk about them because I wouldn't know what she's talking about anyway.

Religion isn't an issue...neither one of us have a religious fiber in our body.

DH is not political at all - whereas I march, read a ton, and contribute to political campaigns. I just find other friends to discuss politics and debate. He asks me who to vote for and goes along.
We are also not the same religion.

Can I just say I find it odd and disturbing that an adult would ask another adult who to vote for? I wouldn't even tell my own children who to vote for however, I would give my opinion and tell them to do the research. I think that's the trouble with democracy. I can tell another uninformed person who to vote for and he will and it counts.

Yes, DW and I are different. She has political views. I go out of my way to avoid any and all politics...I can't stand them. We simply don't talk about them because I wouldn't know what she's talking about anyway.

Religion isn't an issue...neither one of us have a religious fiber in our body.

I'm not religious nor an atheist and I'm pretty down with attending services but it's just a non-issue to me, and to this particular gentleman as well.

I'd say it depends on how "into it" they are. It's one thing to have some different beliefs. It's another when someone is always talking about them, wanting to "debate," and not accepting of opposing viewpoints. That would cause a problem.

This is how it has become in our house. I am much less passionate about politics than dh is and since we do have our differences it is hard to discuss things with someone who is very passionate. I like to go with the flow, accept the things I cannot change....ranting doesn't do anything and sometimes I feel the "discussion" is just an opening for dh to start ranting.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter