Anyone decide to pack it in and cancel trip later this year?

We have at trip scheduled over New Year's. As of now, we plan on going. I think it's hard to say what the situation will look like by then. We've already had a couple trips cancelled this year. My kids will be very disappointed if this one doesn't work out either (honestly, I'll be a bit disappointed too). It's only June and I know my whole family is ready to start a new year already.

We have a trip planned to BLT in early November with our son and his girlfriend who will be a first-timer. Of course we were delighted that our son’s love of Disney has resurfaced as a young professional and That he wanted to share it with his serious girlfriend.

We are all signed up for the Wine and Dine race which looks like it will be cancelled. DH and I were discussing the fact that Disney is not an inexpensive trip to not be able to have the full experience or something close. Tickets cost the same with a lesser experience. Restaurant experiences will not be the same. Covid necessities will have an impact on the experience. I know a first-timer will not have a frame of reference but we would like the experience to be so much more. Many of the experiences our son would like to share with his soon to be fiance will not be available. And now we are dealing with waiting to purchase our son’s girlfriend’s park ticket and hope to still be able to secure park reservations. Ironically, the fear of Covid is not a factor in considering to cancel.

Has anyone else cancelled or Is considering cancelling for the same reasons?
Personally, I would defer till a better time whenever that may be...too expensive to have limited experiences.

I'm holding a January reservation...just kind of wait and see what happens. I have plenty of time to cancel if things go wrong.

I have a Dec trip and it will be cancelled unless Disney gets it together. In no way will I pay top dollar to go to Disney and not be sure of getting park tickets at top price for a watered down version. I understand that they are financially hurting but if Iger had not mortgaged the future, things might not be so bad

Last edited:

I have a Dec trip and it will be cancelled unless Disney gets it together. In no way will I pay top dollar to go to Disney and not be sure of getting park tickets at top price for a watered down version. I understand that they are financially hurting but if zinger had not mortgaged the future, things might not be so bad

You should go ahead and cancel then. These restrictions will be in place well into 2021 and maybe beyond. The park reservation system for instance goes all the way until September 2021 already.

While the reservation software is active through September 2021, if things do greatly improve, or more likely, if a vaccine if proven effective, they can quickly go back to the way things were...fastpasses, dining, and so forth, no need to develop new software. But for now, it is just wait and see. No one can predict what will happen. But I agree, with things where they are now, there isn't a lot of optimism for changes by December 2020.

Our friends decided to cancel their Jersey Week reservations. Especially without park tickets, I don’t blame them.

I think DVC is still putting borrowed points back into 2021. Does anyone here know?

I am fortunate to have about 600 DVC points and usually go 2-3 times a month - we live about an hour from WDW. Just cancelled 2 July trips, 3 August trips, and 5 Sept trips (bday month). Not going to use points for watered down experiences. Will wait to see how the parks are if they open before i cancel more reservations. The only good part of this for me is that i probably won't have to borrow points from next year for the first time in 18 years.

Last edited:
If it was a big expense and, in OPs situation, the first time a travel companion would get to experience Disney, yes, I would cancel for sure.

We like to go in the fall. For us, we have the points and many were banked so they expire no matter what. So, why not use them. We have annual passes that we have not yet activated which I guess we could ask for a refund, but even if we cancelled we’d probably just leave them in our account. And, we have southwest credit from a cancelled summer trip, so, most, of not all of our flight should be covered.
Granted, we could use all these items in the first half of 2021 (before our banked points expire), but we don’t want to travel then and there is no guarantee anything will be better. So, for now, we plan on keeping our November trip. We hope with reduced capacity we will have shorter waits and can enjoy a low key, more down time trip. If things get bad though, we will cancel and look at next spring or next summer, or just take the loss on the points .

We just cancelled our 16 night at GCV and moved it to February, as it doesn't look like we will be allowed to fly in to the US from the UK due to the Covid-19 restrictions.

The cancellation wouldn't go through online so I called and waited 50 minutes, the lady cancelled the booking but said she was unable to rebook us as they wasn't sure when California would reopen bookings, I told her it was available online but she still said she couldn't do it, so I just rebooked it myself online.

it's sad not to be going in September but hopefully come February we will be over the worst of the virus, we wasn't looking forward to wearing a mask all day in the heat.

I'm holding a January reservation...just kind of wait and see what happens. I have plenty of time to cancel if things go wrong.
Me, too. Rescheduled an October trip to last week of January. Might have to cancel that one, too. If we do, will hope to go for 2021 F&W and Holiday season both

We did Disneyland last year, so its been two looong years for WDW for our December 2020 trip. But we both have high risk factors, so we're really unsure about both airline travel and being at the parks. At least Delta (so far) has their priorities straight in terms of safe air travel (still requiring masks and empty seats etc) but we're still nervous about it.

We did already make one compromise - we moved from BLT to Saratoga. We already accept our "normal" trip isn't happening (we don't typically rent a car, we do lots of park time & hopping around, lots of dining). We figure at Saratoga there is much more open space for safety, we can use a rental car to get around easier, Springs is right there for plenty of dining options without going to a park... so we're hoping. We even figured we might only go to a park for a single day or evening party (if they have an after-hours event then...) and we'd be okay with that.

But, that's a lot of risk and compromises for a still very expensive vacation. The good news is we totally tapped out borrowed points, so we could skip and not really lose points. But still, airfare for four plus food plus some tickets and souvenirs.... and maybe a big road trip somewhere closer to home is a better choice this year.

But we love Disney, this just breaks our hearts. UGH. Stupid virus!!

We are in wait and see mode for August but canceled Thanksgiving and Christmas to just after New Year. I’m not even sure we will go in August but we will decide in July if we pull the plug on that, too.

So I redid a January trip to move it to a couples trip instead of a family trip (parents are nervous so made sense to just cancel now). We have points that will expire in April so using those now on the couples trip.

Moved the parents trip to May (for now) but might end up moving it further back in the summer next year to be "safer".

Who knows still thinking.

With the numbers rising in Florida, the only reason I'm keeping my August trip is because the points are expiring. I already had MS reallocate points to use the 2018 ones up. I modified my trip down from 10 nights to 6 so that I was only using expiring points + the few necessary to complete the last night. These points should have been used back in April, but that trip was cancelled. I'm still considering transferring them in to RCI instead.

Honestly I want to quit thinking about reservations, points, etc. I make my reservations 11 months out and then sit back and relax. Lately the conversations in my house are all about new plans, contingency plans, and back up plans.

Yessssss

Looks like it will be a hybrid Flower and Garden and Food and Wine. Topiaries might have been left up.

It will be like walking into my classroom in mid-June with "March 16" written on the board and shamrocks on the walls. :shamrock:

Unless the 14 day quarantine order is lifted I'm not chancing it. But I do have to admit the recent uptick in cases there gave me pause to ask myself should I really go. My check in is a little more than a month away

The numbers in Florida are very much giving me pause for my August trip.

We canceled April, then August, my son and his GF are going in Jan. as long as they don't cancel the half marathon. But as for me not before next Summer ,,,,maybe

I had my April trip cancelled, and August isn't looking good either.
I'm signed up for runDisney for both November and January. November in particular does not look likely, given the NYC Marathon is the week prior and they already cancelled.

We cancelled three, no actually four, WDW vacations. Bank most of our points, but had to use the remainder before April 2021 so we reserved a Beach Cottage in Vero Beach for September. Right now it's a wait and watch the Florida COVID numbers and quarantine restrictions. My feeling right now is a Beach Cottage to ourselves (separate from the resort), a request for no housekeeping (which I've read we can now do) and driving down with our own food and just enjoying the beach is relatively safe. Final decision will be in August.

So far I'm only at one cancelled Disney vacation, but it could go up to four. I have reservations for an inn room at Vero in August that I'm really looking forward to, but I just don't know about going. I have to fly across the country to get there.

We did Disneyland last year, so its been two looong years for WDW for our December 2020 trip. But we both have high risk factors, so we're really unsure about both airline travel and being at the parks. At least Delta (so far) has their priorities straight in terms of safe air travel (still requiring masks and empty seats etc) but we're still nervous about it.

We did already make one compromise - we moved from BLT to Saratoga. We already accept our "normal" trip isn't happening (we don't typically rent a car, we do lots of park time & hopping around, lots of dining). We figure at Saratoga there is much more open space for safety, we can use a rental car to get around easier, Springs is right there for plenty of dining options without going to a park... so we're hoping. We even figured we might only go to a park for a single day or evening party (if they have an after-hours event then...) and we'd be okay with that.

But, that's a lot of risk and compromises for a still very expensive vacation. The good news is we totally tapped out borrowed points, so we could skip and not really lose points. But still, airfare for four plus food plus some tickets and souvenirs.... and maybe a big road trip somewhere closer to home is a better choice this year.

But we love Disney, this just breaks our hearts. UGH. Stupid virus!!

I'm flying Delta in August, and I am glad they're still taking safety seriously. I feel like both Delta and Alaska are very focused on passenger safety and customer service, more so than many other US airlines.

I am booked at Saratoga after Vero, for the same reasons as you. I am also considering cancelling and driving to the Pacific coast instead.

Cancelled long weekend for August today. My requirement for “vacation” is no bs restrictions, so could be a long time waiting. Disney will realize quickly they lost less money being closed than sort of reopening I think.

Cancelled long weekend for August today. My requirement for “vacation” is no bs restrictions, so could be a long time waiting. Disney will realize quickly they lost less money being closed than sort of reopening I think.

You couldn't pay me enough to be a Guest Services CM right now or the first few days of opening. Nope.

Me too, booked with points from a July cancelled trip, waiting and watching. I have until Nov 30 to cancel.

Cancelled a October 7-13 (OKW) the other day, in the high risk category and with the rise in Florida not worth the risk. Will bank my points in August and try next year to get a GV for the whole family in the fall.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter