Dunkirk

I want to see this movie, not sure if I can. A previous poster mentioned a site called "Kids in Mind" and I looked up the info on Dunkirk. A couple of things in the movie would really bother me. My dad was in the British Merchant Marine & was on a ship that was torpedoed in WWII. He survived because he had a habit of sleeping with his life jacket on. I do want to see Dunkirk though, but I'm glad to have an idea of what to expect. The gore doesn't bother me, it's the scenes of people in the water pleading not to be left behind.

I cannot explain sufficiently in words how well done this movie is. I don't want to reveal details of the movie, but any movie lover would be a total fool to not see this movie. And it's a movie that deserves to be seen on a big screen with a big sound system.

I was on the edge of my seat the entire time.

You said it was the best movie of the year - did you see Get Out? Its a much more stripped down movie than a war movie, but I think it's the best thing I've seen this year. Of course, it's a horror movie, so probably won't get nominated, but I thought it was good.

You said it was the best movie of the year - did you see Get Out? Its a much more stripped down movie than a war movie, but I think it's the best thing I've seen this year. Of course, it's a horror movie, so probably won't get nominated, but I thought it was good.
My husband and I saw "Get Out" we really enjoyed it and thought it was very different premise than many other movies.

We just saw Baby Driver last week and we really enjoyed that. It was the way they mixed the music with the driving with the characterizations of characters. It just worked for us.

My husband and I saw "Get Out" we really enjoyed it and thought it was very different premise than many other movies.

We just saw Baby Driver last week and we really enjoyed that. It was the way they mixed the music with the driving with the characterizations of characters. It just worked for us.

That's why I liked "Get Out" so much, it was a different story.

I've heard good things about Baby Driver. I'll have to go out and see it. Depending on the grass pollen, it may be a good day for a double matinee tomorrow.

I'm wanting to see Dunkirk but I'll probably see it when it is released on premium (HBO/Starz, etc) or Netflix or gets to the library as no one else around me is interested in seeing it (not into going to the movies by myself). It looks like a really good movie.

I want to see this movie, not sure if I can. A previous poster mentioned a site called "Kids in Mind" and I looked up the info on Dunkirk. A couple of things in the movie would really bother me. My dad was in the British Merchant Marine & was on a ship that was torpedoed in WWII. He survived because he had a habit of sleeping with his life jacket on. I do want to see Dunkirk though, but I'm glad to have an idea of what to expect. The gore doesn't bother me, it's the scenes of people in the water pleading not to be left behind.

There are scenes of soldiers in the water, but the movie doesn't show them pleading not to be left behind. It shows civilian vessels saving them.

There are scenes of soldiers in the water, but the movie doesn't show them pleading not to be left behind. It shows civilian vessels saving them.

Wow! The score to set up the anticipation and general anxiety of the situation was so powerful. It was a very well done movie. I think it'll be in the top 10 war movie lists moving forward. Loved it! I have a very few pitnicky things about it, but man, that was great. The directing was nothing short of perfect. I think seeing, really more important to hear it, in the theater is the way to go. My dad hates going to the theater, but I even recommended he go see this one - tonight.

ETA: The last thing I really suggested dad see in the theaters was "There Will Be Blood" this movie is in that caliber.

Wow! The score to set up the anticipation and general anxiety of the situation was so powerful. It was a very well done movie. I think it'll be in the top 10 war movie lists moving forward. Loved it! I have a very few pitnicky things about it, but man, that was great. The directing was nothing short of perfect. I think seeing, really more important to hear it, in the theater is the way to go. My dad hates going to the theater, but I even recommended he go see this one - tonight.

ETA: The last thing I really suggested dad see in the theaters was "There Will Be Blood" this movie is in that caliber.

Gachk, There Will Be Blood is easily the worst movie I've seen in the past decade - and yes, I've seen Grown Ups 2. I certainly hope I enjoy Dunkirk more!!

Gachk, There Will Be Blood is easily the worst movie I've seen in the past decade - and yes, I've seen Grown Ups 2. I certainly hope I enjoy Dunkirk more!!

What? That was amazing! It could have been "No Country for Old Men." 2007 was extra. Those 2, and "Darjeeling Limited" - good stuff. What didn't you like about "There Will Be Blood?" I'm genuinely interested.

What? That was amazing! It could have been "No Country for Old Men." 2007 was extra. Those 2, and "Darjeeling Limited" - good stuff. What didn't you like about "There Will Be Blood?" I'm genuinely interested.

I think No Country For Old Men was well done, but not phenomenal. As for There Will Be Blood and what I didn't like, well pretty much all of it. My film-addicted daughter & I watched it together and she called it "the most pointless movie I've ever seen".

I think No Country For Old Men was well done, but not phenomenal. As for There Will Be Blood and what I didn't like, well pretty much all of it. My film-addicted daughter & I watched it together and she called it "the most pointless movie I've ever seen".

Weird. I've never heard much bad about those films. I love them and think they are timeless. To each their own:)

Omg, I think we actually agree on something. There Will Be Blood is totally overrated.
I really think it's one of those movies critics rave about so people just say it's great because they think they are supposed to.

My husband and I saw Dunkirk this afternoon and my husband wasn't impressed at all. While I thought it was good, IMO it was far from the best war movie I've ever seen. I think Hacksaw Ridge was 10 times better and Saving Private Ryan a million times. Maybe because for me there was no emotional connection to the characters.

Having said that, it was not gory at all.

My husband and I saw Dunkirk this afternoon and my husband wasn't impressed at all. While I thought it was good, IMO it was far from the best war movie I've ever seen. I think Hacksaw Ridge was 10 times better and Saving Private Ryan a million times. Maybe because for me there was no emotional connection to the characters.

I agree with you. While I thought the movie was well done from a cinematic standpoint, I didn't actually like the movie much. The sound design and score were fantastic. But, there was almost no emotional connection to the characters. The civilians on the boat were the only ones I felt a connection with.

My husband and I saw Dunkirk this afternoon and my husband wasn't impressed at all. While I thought it was good, IMO it was far from the best war movie I've ever seen. I think Hacksaw Ridge was 10 times better and Saving Private Ryan a million times.

"Saving Private Ryan" is not a re-watch, too much of relying on emotional silliness for me. The *for me* is always important:)

My husband and son saw it last night. I didn't, it isn't my type of movie.

Neither were terribly impressed. At all. In fact, when I asked my husband how it was, he responded with an, "eh."

Glad they went during the cheap time at the theater.

It's overrated because it got so much praise.
Besides, an actor can give a great performance in a not so great movie.

The movie won two Oscars and was nominated for best picture and best director. I understand not liking a movie but to claim it's the worst movie in the past decade is patently absurd.

My husband and I saw this today in an IMAX theater. He is a military history buff, and is especially well-versed in the events surrounding Dunkirk. He was impressed with the historical accuracy of the actual events, and though the individual storylines are obviously composites, felt they were very well done and conveyed the spirit of the evacuation.

I enjoy history but was not up to speed with on Dunkirk. DH offered a readers digest tutorial on the drive over which I feel helped me understand the gravity of the events as they unfolded.

Gore: practically zero. I've seen more gore on prime time network television. Families: I noticed one "major" curse word - the f bomb - and I feel that my 9 and 11 year old sons can see this next week.

The music was fantastic and there was plenty of tension building up despite the lack of dialogue. Even though I reaaallllyyy needed to use the ladies room halfway through, I could not make myself leave for fear of missing something big.

We both plan to see it again in the next few days with our 2 oldest sons.

Great movie.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter