Everthing you wanted to know about Uber/Lyft at WDW

Wondering if anyone can confirm that Uber or Lyft can still pick up at the Contemporary? I'm thinking of using one for the Halloween party and getting dropped off at the TTC. (have to pick up tix at will call) And then walking to the Contemporary after the party for pick up.
TIA!

Wondering if anyone can confirm that Uber or Lyft can still pick up at the Contemporary? I'm thinking of using one for the Halloween party and getting dropped off at the TTC. (have to pick up tix at will call) And then walking to the Contemporary after the party for pick up.
TIA!
Yes. Uber and Lyft can generally go anywhere regular traffic can go. And actually, the Contemporary is the preferred dropoff and pickup point for MK unless you just want to ride the monorail or ferry.

Yes. Uber and Lyft can generally go anywhere regular traffic can go. And actually, the Contemporary is the preferred dropoff and pickup point for MK unless you just want to ride the monorail or ferry.
Thanks!
I would much prefer to be dropped off at the Contemporary, however the type of tickets we have for the party need to be picked up at the TTC window. I was hoping to walk to the Contemporary after the party and grab a ride there for the way home.

Thanks!
I would much prefer to be dropped off at the Contemporary, however the type of tickets we have for the party need to be picked up at the TTC window. I was hoping to walk to the Contemporary after the party and grab a ride there for the way home.

Why do the tickets have to be picked up at the TTC window? I've been on the MNSSHP thread for two years and I don't recall anybody saying they had tickets which had to be picked up there. (Unless they are military tickets; I don't pay attention to those rules because I don't qualify.)

Why do the tickets have to be picked up at the TTC window? I've been on the MNSSHP thread for two years and I don't recall anybody saying they had tickets which had to be picked up there. (Unless they are military tickets; I don't pay attention to those rules because I don't qualify.)
They're not regular tickets. My situation doesn't/won't apply to anyone else. That's all I'm going to share about it. :thumbsup2

They're not regular tickets. My situation doesn't/won't apply to anyone else. That's all I'm going to share about it. :thumbsup2

Ok. Getting picked up at the Contemporary is easy, but if you’re exhausted the walk from MK to Contemporary might feel longer than anticipated so just keep that in mind.

Ok. Getting picked up at the Contemporary is easy, but if you’re exhausted the walk from MK to Contemporary might feel longer than anticipated so just keep that in mind.
No worries, we’ve been at BLT with DVC family so I’m familiar with the walk. I have just never tried Uber or Lyft and not exactly sure where pick up is over there.

TIA!
Was picked up at CR last Saturday night. So yes.

No worries, we’ve been at BLT with DVC family so I’m familiar with the walk. I have just never tried Uber or Lyft and not exactly sure where pick up is over there.
Same place a private car would go to drop off bags and other members of the party when checking in

A heads-up about Lyft

Lyft has a new plan, the supposed goal of which is to encourage (or force) drivers to take long-distance pickups of 15-20 minutes or more.

The root problem is that Lyft has neither the customer base nor the number of drivers Uber has, so their riders and drivers tend to be quite a bit farther apart.

Most drivers drive for both companies, so why would you accept a 20 minute pickup from Lyft when you can wait a couple of minutes and get a 2-minute pickup ride from Uber? The result has been a big problem for Lyft for a long time, but they haven't been able to improve the rider or driver pools.

So someone in SFO came up with this idea... :rolleyes:.

Lyft is testing a new pay cut scheme in Las Vegas, Phoenix, Minneapolis, and I think Charlotte where they pay drivers about half their normal rate, but pay them from the point where they accept the ride to dropoff. But the pay is half, or less than half.

Drivers in those test cities are revolting once they realize they are not making the money promised by Lyft, but much, much less. A few are pulling crazy stunts, but most are just turning Lyft off and driving for other companies. Some drivers are asking Lyft to close their driver accounts (Lyft refuses), or simply uninstalling the app.

So if you're in one of those cities and can't get a Lyft ride -- now you know why.

Hopefully Lyft will realize their mistake and abandon this bad idea -- but they have an awful track record on learning from mistakes.

Just a quick note to say that Lyft worked wonderfully for us this past weekend! We used Lyft because I had a 25% off the next 10 rides as a promo. We got into Orlando on Friday but there were major gas shortages due to the unpredictable hurricane Dorian, so we decided to park our car with a full tank to save for when we had to leave. We used Lyft and it was so convienent and easy. The only issue we had, which really wasn't an issue at all, was leaving Epcot at night after a 10 PM Illuminations (due to F&W) so the ride share pick up location was jammed with people leaving and it took us a few minutes to find our driver. We got a notice on the app that the driver was ready to leave while we were still trying to find him! But we did find him a minute later and were off. Part of the issue may be because of the construction in front of Epcot where the rideshare drivers pick up, so you have to walk down the line of cars waiting, along the parking lot to find your driver. No other issues beyond that, whatsoever! We may be going down again in October with family and won't have a car so we will be relying on rideshare the whole time.

Question....is there a way to request a specific driver? We found a lady we really liked who drives for Lyft. She picked us up at the Contemporary and we are from the same neck of the woods up North. Super, super nice and easy to talk to.

So thankful for everyone who contributes to this thread! Thanks for the info!!

Just a quick note to say that Lyft worked wonderfully for us this past weekend! We used Lyft because I had a 25% off the next 10 rides as a promo. We got into Orlando on Friday but there were major gas shortages due to the unpredictable hurricane Dorian, so we decided to park our car with a full tank to save for when we had to leave. We used Lyft and it was so convienent and easy. The only issue we had, which really wasn't an issue at all, was leaving Epcot at night after a 10 PM Illuminations (due to F&W) so the ride share pick up location was jammed with people leaving and it took us a few minutes to find our driver. We got a notice on the app that the driver was ready to leave while we were still trying to find him! But we did find him a minute later and were off. Part of the issue may be because of the construction in front of Epcot where the rideshare drivers pick up, so you have to walk down the line of cars waiting, along the parking lot to find your driver. No other issues beyond that, whatsoever! We may be going down again in October with family and won't have a car so we will be relying on rideshare the whole time.

Question....is there a way to request a specific driver? We found a lady we really liked who drives for Lyft. She picked us up at the Contemporary and we are from the same neck of the woods up North. Super, super nice and easy to talk to.

So thankful for everyone who contributes to this thread! Thanks for the info!!
No, there is no way to request a specific driver. You can make prior arrangements with the driver, but for everyday rides that is difficult to impossible to do.

Drivers go where the rides take us -- I often find myself 50-60 miles from home after a few rides. So it is very difficult to plan on being at a certain place at a certain time, unless that time just happens to be at the start of a shift.

No, there is no way to request a specific driver. You can make prior arrangements with the driver, but for everyday rides that is difficult to impossible to do.

Drivers go where the rides take us -- I often find myself 50-60 miles from home after a few rides. So it is very difficult to plan on being at a certain place at a certain time, unless that time just happens to be at the start of a shift.
Are you in the Orlando area? 50 - 60 miles out of the area seem really far!

Are you in the Orlando area? 50 - 60 miles out of the area seem really far!
No, Miami. I live SW of the city of Miami, but often get rides to FLL or further north.

One day, my first ride took me from Miami Executive Airport to Palm Beach International Airport. I had just gotten gas at Costco and got a request from Miami Executive. Because it was a Lyft XL ride, I knew it was probably a NetJets flight crew, and it was. They usually just go to a local hotel, but they had to go pick up another aircraft, so an hour and a half later I was 88 miles from home!

That's not normal, but my neighborhood to FLL is pretty common because neither SW nor Jet Blue fly into MIA.

Wondering if anyone can tell me the ride share pickup location for Hollywood Studios? I looked on the first page of this thread and it states:
Hollywood Studios: We are in the main parking lot, right next to the taxi queue. There will be a white sandwichboard sign for pickup/dropoff.
But that was in 2015 before the parking lot changes. I have not been to HS since they opened the new entrance and not sure where anything is. We're looking at getting dropped off by my daughter after breakfast one day and using uber/lyft to get back to the resort at night. (offsite)

One of our Lyft drivers this past weekend told us they moved the Animal Kingdom ride share area from directly in front, but I'm not sure where. I *think* she was describing the area near the little covered taxi stand (not sure if that's what it is!) a little further away from the front. Does anyone know anything a bout that either?

Thanks!

At DHS it is easy to find. Good signs, and I think nearby posts were marked blue. Not far from entrance. As you leave the park I think the signs said “rideshare.”

At AK it felt like you were in the middle of the parking lot. No covered taxi stand that I saw. There was a cast member stationed there telling people where to go. Getting dropped off wasn’t bad but it seemed like it would be a hassle to find your driver when being picked up because it was so busy. When I left the park I took a Disney bus to Animal Kingdom Lodge - Jambo House. I got a cupcake at The Mara, looked at the animals and then requested a Lyft from the front of the hotel.

This was mid August 2019.

At DHS it is easy to find. Good signs, and I think nearby posts were marked blue. Not far from entrance. As you leave the park I think the signs said “rideshare.”

At AK it felt like you were in the middle of the parking lot. No covered taxi stand that I saw. There was a cast member stationed there telling people where to go. Getting dropped off wasn’t bad but it seemed like it would be a hassle to find your driver when being picked up because it was so busy. When I left the park I took a Disney bus to Animal Kingdom Lodge - Jambo House. I got a cupcake at The Mara, looked at the animals and then requested a Lyft from the front of the hotel.

This was mid August 2019.
Thank you! I haven't seen the new area in AK for ride share yet, but the way our driver was explaining it she mentioned a little covered area, which I thought was that taxi stand thing. As you exit AK and go left on the sidewalk, where they used to pick up, I believe that stand is in the parking lot in that direction, but I don't remember too much about it.

Thank you! I haven't seen the new area in AK for ride share yet, but the way our driver was explaining it she mentioned a little covered area, which I thought was that taxi stand thing. As you exit AK and go left on the sidewalk, where they used to pick up, I believe that stand is in the parking lot in that direction, but I don't remember too much about it.
As I recall, at AK it was not along the sidewalk. The cars were in a line which was perpendicular to the sidewalk.

I'm going to be using Uber/Lyft to go from MCO to PBH. I want to pickup some water, bottled and distilled. Walgreens works. Is a $10 cash tip reasonable? Otherwise I'll walk over to Walgreens and use Uber to get back.
Prime Now would cost $5 delivery plus tip. PBH has the deliver to the business center with a per pound acceptance fee.

I'm going to be using Uber/Lyft to go from MCO to PBH. I want to pickup some water, bottled and distilled. Walgreens works. Is a $10 cash tip reasonable? Otherwise I'll walk over to Walgreens and use Uber to get back.
Prime Now would cost $5 delivery plus tip. PBH has the deliver to the business center with a per pound acceptance fee.
Honestly, I'd use Prime Now.

Uber and Lyft have the option of adding a stop, but those stops are really meant to pick up or drop off a fellow rider -- not for shopping. Typically when people are going shopping, they order a ride TO the store and another ride back.

I realize you intend to just run in, grab your water and come right back out, but most drivers will not wait for someone to go shopping. The rider intends to just be a couple of minutes, but it never works out that way. Especially at Orlando's pathetically low rates, the driver really needs to keep moving.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter