Has anyone seen the "news" going around about being able to keep the towel animals Mousekeeping make

Me neither. I've always heard of people getting them. I think we might have gotten a little bunny made from a washcloth once, but that was in our room when we arrived and it looked pretty beat up. We've had 5 stays at mods and one at POP and have only gotten the Mickey upon arrival. Are the towel animals really that common?
same here...been going to Disney for the last 15 years and YET to get a towel animal for the kids ( and myself hehe) despite tipping VERY well and even lowering myself last year to asking if they had any....Im at the point of should I just make one and take it with me?..LOL

Hopefully the folks taking the towel animals have the courtesy to leave generous tips behind for the CM's making them. Heck, I'd leave a nice tip and not take the towel, just because I appreciate the effort they are putting into it.

This just seems to go with the mentality that some people will take anything that isn't nailed down. Are the towel animals cute? Sure. Are they fun? Yea. Does every single thing that is cute and fun have to come home? Nope. I guess if my kids saw them and loved them I'd let them have one each, but the last thing I want to do is deal with a pile of folded towels when they have much better quality plush animals and other toys that aren't going to fall apart if they sleep with them.

Actually, no... now that I think about it I'd tell my kids to leave them there. I don't want them growing up thinking they can take home everything they like. Sometimes you just have to appreciate something for what it is and just take your memory of it.

it's absurd to take a towel home.

Why are so many people so vehemently against this. No one stole YOUR towels. Again, we've been told multiple times by staff to take them.

And for those that say they are just going to fall apart when they get home, we have set up our guest bedroom with a Disney theme, including an old Pop Century bedsheet that we did indeed BUY. We have a shelf that we put several towel animals on to give it that Disney feel when people come to stay. They've lasted years, though we do eventually throw them out.

Is the confusion here on the TYPE of towel animal? I've definitely see on cruises where they make quick animals without glue or decorations. These seem meant to be used. But WDW also makes more elaborate ones with glue, stickers, eyes, etc. Those are the ones people want to take home.

The fact that the Mom's Panel on a Disney operated site said it was okay seems to settle the matter for me. You know they can't post anything that Disney didn't fully approve first.

The fact that the Mom's Panel on a Disney operated site said it was okay seems to settle the matter for me. You know they can't post anything that Disney didn't fully approve first.

Actually, I've seen them give flat out incorrect information before.

The last time we were at a resort (this past September), our housekeeper was coming to clean our room as we were leaving with our suit cases to check out. She approached us and asked why we had left the towel animals in the room because she had made them as a gift for our son and she wanted us to take them. We would have never thought to take them if she hadn't insisted. My son, however, was thrilled. They were very cute and he still has all of them sitting on his bed with the rest of his stuffed animals.

As the title states, has anyone seen anything in the past few days about being able to actually take home the towel animals that mousekeeping leave in your room?
I saw it on facebook (I know, don't believe everything you read online) but I wonder if there IS any truth to it?

when we were there in 2009 (and years prior) we ran into housekeeping on our check out day and she told us we could take them. We only took the smaller ones but it brought the magic home with us.

I have a friend who is a WDW resort manager and she said guests are encouraged to take them home.

The best and most animals I have ever received was last year at the All Stars Sports Resort. I was traveling solo, my children. I received a new animal every night - a mickey head, turtle, giraffe, elephant, rabbit,another animal that might have been a second elephant, and on my last night I received a 3 foot alligator.....yes, it was 3 feet long, it covered the entire bed from side to side. I was shocked and excited, of course. I tried to post a picture, but it said the file was too large.

Oh, and I did take two of the small animals home with me.

That RFID link is a bit of a joke. It only works as long as the towel is on property. So yea, it's fine and dandy for tracking a pool towel and finding it discarded in a hotel room. But the second that towel leaves the premises, well, at that point you can't track it anymore. For an RFID network to work you have to have a huge web of RFID chips. For example, a company called Trackr makes these little bluetooth keytags that you can put in your wallet or on your keychain to help you find them if you loose them. The biggest problem with the technology right now is that it will only show up in the locator app if it happens to be near someone else who has a Trackr. So the pitch is - get everyone you know to buy one of these, because the more that are out there, the better our tracking network becomes. But that is a closed system. A hotel can't use Trackr's RFID network to triangulate their towel. And even if they could, what then? Waste money and harm reputation by trying to collect said towel? Locate the address, look for someone who lives at that address that stayed on property recently and retroactively charge them for a towel? Of course not. There is no way to actually follow through with this process that doesn't damage the hotel's image.

I get the impression that article, and by extension the technology, is meant to scare customers more than anything else. I'm sure the sign about the RFID enabled towels is next to the one that warns you the water will change color (and follow you!) if you pee in the pool.

Well, darn. We got a little face cloth mouse the other week, but I didn't think I should bring it home. :( Oh well. Maybe another time.

Oh no my vacation is ruined I might as well cancel my vacation and go to work unpaid that week

Oh no my vacation is ruined I might as well cancel my vacation and go to work unpaid that week
Don't worry about it. They don't even do towel animals any more.

There are two types of towel animals: Permanently altered worn out towels and washclothes. They are glued with things affixed to them and will not be reused. They are in addition to all your regular towels and washclothes.They can be taken if you wish. The other towel animals are when a housekeeper takes a regular towel and folds it to make an animal without eyes, glue, or alterations. These are NOT to be taken. I have received the later kind but never the former. However old towels and washclothes, however entertaingly folded, are not my type of souvenir. :)

there are is only 1 type of towel animal, NONE. they stopped this.
we were there the last two weeks of August and although we did not get them there were people that we knew that did get them just last month. The instances of people getting them has fallen significantly but I do believe there are still mousekeepers out there providing the magic.

I read this post, and then looked to the left of my computer to see my collection of towel mice.

So, I would say yes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter