Indiana Jones land coming to Animal Kingdom

Right now Disney is talking about how they can make Indy more relatable to younger audiences. So I wouldn't be surprised if that shows in the next movie.

Right now Disney is talking about how they can make Indy more relatable to younger audiences. So I wouldn't be surprised if that shows in the next movie.

I think that will almost entirely come down to who they cast as the "next Indy", they need someone younger to succeed Harrison Ford whether it be an actual younger Indy, or a new character. I think this is what they were trying to do with Shia LaBeouf, but that just didn't work out.

(You may want to mute the video. The person riding it is annoying and uncourteous)

I've heard the Indy rollercoaster would be most similar to the "Big Grizzly Mountain Runaway Mine Cars" in Hong Kong. The large crater in the film would block the track at one point and the ride would have to go backwards.

Disclaimer: Everything I just mentioned is not guaranteed to happen. For now at least it has just been discussed behind closed doors.

Last edited:
I don't know why they wouldn't replace Harrison Ford in the next one. To put it kindly he is a tad on the old side.

Don't see it happening. I do see potentially expansion of INDY, but not all that.

My gut says they keep Star Tours, but retheme it, I could see it being a Indy mine train ride like in Indy 2, that actually could be fun.

I don't see that working thematically since you're inside a capsule. I could see something Incredibles or GoTG related though.

It is because the last one was such a steaming pile of you know what. They couldn't let Ford and Spielberg go out like that.

I suppose Lucas may be more detached from the story since it was sold to Disney. I am sure he will get a credit of some sort, but as long as he is not integral to the story process there is hope.

The biggest problem is Ford can no longer carry a movie as a leading man. He has lost the energy/youth/swagger. I would much perfer some kind of movie where an older Ford flashes back to a younger self now played by the new Indy actor whoever that may be and re-boot the series.

I suppose Lucas may be more detached from the story since it was sold to Disney. I am sure he will get a credit of some sort, but as long as he is not integral to the story process there is hope.

The biggest problem is Ford can no longer carry a movie as a leading man. He has lost the energy/youth/swagger. I would much perfer some kind of movie where an older Ford flashes back to a younger self now played by the new Indy actor whoever that may be and re-boot the series.

That's kind of how I envisioned one working well. Not necessarily him telling a story but an adventure that connects back to one from his past so it has story bits with both Ford and a younger Indy, who could then carry on the franchise with future installments. Think this would be a great way to introduce a new Indy as it would feel a little less like a replacement/reboot by having them in a movie alongside Ford's Indy as well. This would also allow for bigger stunt segments with the younger actor that Ford couldn't do anymore but still keep him involved for a final adventure.

That's odd my 10yo loves the old ones, Temple of Doom is her current favorite. But she also watches M.A.S.H. and Gone with the Wind so not sure she's the "typical kid"

Whoa, she definitely isn't your average kid. I love that she's into those things though, it gives me hope for the future.

I was the same way when I was younger, watching Halloween and Jaws when I was still in my diapers. Thankfully I didn't turn into a homicidal maniac, at least not yet.

Last edited:
They'll definitely want to expand the Indy store as well. It's an insult to Doctor Henry Walton Jones Junior. Afterall who wouldn't want more Indy merchandise?

They'll definitely want to expand the Indy store as well. It's an insult to Doctor Henry Walton Jones Junior. Afterall who wouldn't want more Indy merchandise?

To be honest I don’t see Indy merchandise selling so chances of theaming an entire land after him are slim to none. The new movies have to show they can bring in MAJOR bucks.

Indy is one of my most beloved franchises since I was a child, I wish there was more widespread love. I'm not a big merch person but I'd buy something to show my solidarity, lol.

Think it defintley has the potential to big a big franchise for them if treated right. Could easily span movies and/or tv(maybe a Disney+ series)
Could potentially build lots pf park merchandise. Not sure how big it would be for kids toys but could see it do well in park paired with an attraction or miniland

Think it defintley has the potential to big a big franchise for them if treated right. Could easily span movies and/or tv(maybe a Disney+ series)
Could potentially build lots pf park merchandise. Not sure how big it would be for kids toys but could see it do well in park paired with an attraction or miniland
IMO they have to reboot. If Star Wars and Star Trek can reboot and build the franchise, so can Indy. The original 3 Indy movies were astounding! To redo that, but reboot to allow for new Indy, or some type of pass on by Harrison Ford will make this a viable franchise to merch out.

In no time at all you will have kids in one area of the park fighting with light sabers, while in another area, you will have whips and hats flying :D

IMO they have to reboot. If Star Wars and Star Trek can reboot and build the franchise, so can Indy. The original 3 Indy movies were astounding! To redo that, but reboot to allow for new Indy, or some type of pass on by Harrison Ford will make this a viable franchise to merch out.

In no time at all you will have kids in one area of the park fighting with light sabers, while in another area, you will have whips and hats flying :D
The problem is that many many studios have attempted to recreate it. There are dozens of films just like them, but none find the same success. Ultimately the concept and property just aren’t all that special overall. Ford and Spielberg are why it’s worked so well. Reproducing the magic is an incredibly difficult thing. Star Wars and Trek have the benefit of the universe being the more important aspect of the franchise. Indy was built around Ford.

I think if you cast Chris Pratt as Indy in the reboot then you got something. He's a proven commodity with a nice balance of funny and badass.

The problem is that many many studios have attempted to recreate it. There are dozens of films just like them, but none find the same success. Ultimately the concept and property just aren’t all that special overall. Ford and Spielberg are why it’s worked so well. Reproducing the magic is an incredibly difficult thing. Star Wars and Trek have the benefit of the universe being the more important aspect of the franchise. Indy was built around Ford.
I will agree with @Dfan79 in that you just need to find the right combination. Lets be obvious here, you had Spielberg and Ford for #4 and it was...... well anyway ;)

You have to find the right character actor, and the right director(if no Spielberg) and go from there.

I also disagree with your point on Star Wars and Star Trek. While the whole universe was a key role, you cannot have Star Wars without Luke, Han and Leia and Darth - or their replacements in the new ones(please note I am totally ignoring the prequils( now 1 - 3) as they are awful IMO.) - and what is Star Trek without Kirk, Spock and McCoy.

I will agree with @Dfan79 in that you just need to find the right combination. Lets be obvious here, you had Spielberg and Ford for #4 and it was...... well anyway ;)

You have to find the right character actor, and the right director(if no Spielberg) and go from there.

I also disagree with your point on Star Wars and Star Trek. While the whole universe was a key role, you cannot have Star Wars without Luke, Han and Leia and Darth - or their replacements in the new ones(please note I am totally ignoring the prequils( now 1 - 3) as they are awful IMO.) - and what is Star Trek without Kirk, Spock and McCoy.

Rogue One worked quite well, and still would if you cut out the minimal Leia and Vader parts, as did lots of the video games and Star Tours, and even the shows that didn’t always feature any of those characters. Then you could get into the books and other EU stuff if you want but I’m not terrible familiar with most of that. Star Trek has been wildly successful without the original characters. Everything Indy related has to feature Indy, otherwise it’s just a different franchise. All the novels, games, films, and show have featured him as the entire franchise, it’s very different from Star Wars.

I do think there’s a way to make it work, and I think most will acknowledge that 4 was a misfire. And that was with the right people. The right replacement is critical, which they have managed multiple times now (too bad we lost River Phoenix), but it’s still a tall order.

I just don’t think every franchise needs to be everlasting.

Last edited:
Rogue One worked quite well, and still would if you cut out the minimal Leia and Vader parts, as did lots of the video games and Star Tours, and even the shows that didn’t always feature any of those characters. Then you could get into the books and other EU stuff if you want but I’m not terrible familiar with most of that. Star Trek has been wildly successful without the original characters. Everything Indy related has to feature Indy, otherwise it’s just a different franchise. All the novels, games, films, and show have featured him as the entire franchise, it’s very different from Star Wars.

I do think there’s a way to make it work, and I think most will acknowledge that 4 was a misfire. And that was with the right people. The right replacement is critical, which they have managed multiple times now (too bad we lost River Phoenix), but it’s still a tall order.

I just don’t think every franchise needs to be everlasting.
Well I am not sure we totally disagree...

First Rogue One was extremely good but was based on story line that was created with the major stars - so there was pull.
Plus as you say there are books, and animated features and such that are sucessful

Star Trek I will disagree with a bit - of all the Star Trek versions the only versions successful was Main and Next Gen. Animated didn't last long, and other TV versions faded quickly. I will add that Next Gen kept success by getting rubs from main characters of original movie. The reboot to me was extremely well done, not just due to actor choices but keeping a similar theme and tie in to first version.

As for Indy, we have to wait and see, what leeks from what this next one is. I believe whole heartedly that if done correct this franchise could keep going.

Off the record - I desperately want a theme park with Star Trek...I can't tell you how much I wish someone would do it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter