Latest Artist Point and Whispering Canyon Rumors

I agree. I've eaten at quite a few signatures at Disney, and I live within an hour or so of dozens of restaurants that are much better than the best I've had at Disney.

But, as you can read on here nearly daily, there are many who believe Disney food is the greatest thing on earth...and I'm talking about people who live in or near such restaurant "paradises" as NYC, Chicago, SF, etc, and let you know about their discriminating, "superior" palates...

Different strokes.

Hmmm, are you jealous of my superior palate from Chicago? :p

I think the whole signature designation should be done away with anyways. If it's great food and service, people will go. Our favorite dinners have been from non-signature restaurants. (although we have had great dinners at some signatures)

For the dining plan, just make it two credits based on price point since signature status doesn't always seem to mean the best.

Sales of CCR won’t be affected. At all. Many new buyers don’t want or need a sig. Plus, as far as dining goes, WDW has some good places, but even the sigs don’t measure up at all to fine dining in most cities. We didn’t buy CCR because of AP. Most people aren’t heading to the World to eat. They’re heading to the parks or other experiences. I know some really loved AP. But if it was always full it wouldn’t be in limbo. It is not worth getting worked up over. None of the DVC contracts had anything about having to have a sig.

I can't believe anyone can afford to eat at a sig after buying in for what they are going for now. (I bought in in 1999 lol).

I think you are 100% right, no one is buying CCR because of AP. IF they were, with the influx of CCR owners would be full tables at AP. That is not the case.

I agree. I've eaten at quite a few signatures at Disney, and I live within an hour or so of dozens of restaurants that are much better than the best I've had at Disney.

But, as you can read on here nearly daily, there are many who believe Disney food is the greatest thing on earth...and I'm talking about people who live in or near such restaurant "paradises" as NYC, Chicago, SF, etc, and let you know about their discriminating, "superior" palates...

Different strokes.

It's not a binary. I can't imagine paying money for resort amenities I don't use, and hanging out at a theme park for hours hasn't been a thrill for more than 15 years for us. Good cocktails and wine and decent food prepared with care matters to us.

Fortunately, Disney realized long ago, like the rest of America, that the fried horrors and food decaying in buffet line steamers of the 1970s and 1980s weren't going to cut it. Having one's home Vacation Club resort not offer anything but a character meal is a step backward.

Last edited:
On another note: the nomenclature of "Signature" vs non-Signature, like the classifications of resort levels, is archaic and classist.

Different strokes.

I live in Washington DC. To go to restaurant here with food comparable to a Disney signature costs upwards of $400 for two people, and I can't take my kids. I love disney - we can have a family meal and still eat well, and with the deluxe dining plan the cost savings is incredible!

I can think of a lot of very good food I've had at WDW. and yes I am from a major metropolitan area. And it can be a lot more expensive to eat out here.

On another note: the nomenclature of "Signature" vs non-Signature, like the classifications of resort levels, is archaic and classist.

So there shouldn't be any "upscale" restaurants or resorts at WDW, or they just shouldn't be designated as such?

I live in Miami and spend part of the year in Chicago, and, yeah, I don't see much difference in price b/w my good dining experiences in those cities and WDW (I don't eat at chains). Quality is uneven at both. Disney, however, has more generous pours.

I go back to the Wilderness Lodge before it was a DVC property. So much has changed since then. Some of you may remember the wonderful uniqueness of the Wilderness Lodge including:

The flag family

Ranger Stan

Kids activities in the lobby for FREE

Beautiful natural areas where we saw deer, armadillos, ducks, otter, etc.

Cub’s Den

AP, WCC, RF for food options

A Christmas gift on your door knob Christmas morning

I’m sure there are some more things I’ve forgotten. So for me, it’s not just the loss of Artist Point, it’s the loss of one more thing from the list of so many things.

This is not the end of the world, but it does make me sad.

What a shame. We've already cancelled WCC due to the changes. It was a recent discovery for us and we couldn't wait to go back and take some new visitors with us. Disappointing but now it's just a breakfast with no draw card, we can really do anything. We've decided that this day may as well be breakfast in the camper at FW. After much deliberation DH and I had decided on AP for our date night. Just waiting to book. Looks like we need to plan something else now.

In 17 years of stays at WL, BRV, and CCV we have eaten at AP exactly 1 time. (It was good and Donald was our server). I don't have the attachment many of my fellow posters on this thread have for AP though I can certainly sympathize with the long time AP patrons. Unfortunately, it seems the love for AP doesn't translate into enough reservations to keep it going in its current format. From a business perspective it's an easy call to make, but I have hope that any changes won't throw the baby out with the bathwater. I just can't see any sane reason to go character meals all day and night, it seems like a ridiculous idea even saying it. So I remain hopeful for the evening dining experience.

yup, unfortunately they've already broken their own rule. Not that I really feel that the Poly is diminished by the options it DOES have, to be honest. But I'm sure there's no real signature because they have a very expensive dinner show. Which must make Ft. Wilderness a Deluxe x2 because it's got 2 of those.

If you're walking all the way to Spirit of Aloha, you'll find it's a very short walk down that same path to the Grand Floridian, which is graced with 2 signatures (Narcoosee's and Citrico's) AND Victoria & Alberts (which isn't technically a signature, because it doesn't take any of the dining plans).

If you're walking all the way to Spirit of Aloha, you'll find it's a very short walk down that same path to the Grand Floridian, which is graced with 2 signatures (Narcoosee's and Citrico's) AND Victoria & Alberts (which isn't technically a signature, because it doesn't take any of the dining plans).

THIS. Cab from WL to either the Contemporary, or GF, is about $10 a leg, with serious 20% tip. No Sig Restaurant? Go elsewhere :).
All personal opinion - I'm not necessarily right, no one else is necessarily wrong.

I go back to the Wilderness Lodge before it was a DVC property. So much has changed since then. Some of you may remember the wonderful uniqueness of the Wilderness Lodge including:

The flag family

Ranger Stan

Kids activities in the lobby for FREE

Beautiful natural areas where we saw deer, armadillos, ducks, otter, etc.

Cub’s Den

AP, WCC, RF for food options

A Christmas gift on your door knob Christmas morning

I’m sure there are some more things I’ve forgotten. So for me, it’s not just the loss of Artist Point, it’s the loss of one more thing from the list of so many things.

This is not the end of the world, but it does make me sad.
We've owned DVC at WL for 18 years now and most of those things were there during these years.

I haven’t read the entire thread but I booked our first dinner at AP for October 7. I started checking to see when the last day with availability came up and I found that October 28 was the day. I’m hoping our experience won’t suffer because of the change.

I'm confused. Some people seem to be saying that a DVC resort has to have a signature restaurant. Did I get that right? If so, what about SSR? OKW?

I'm confused. Some people seem to be saying that a DVC resort has to have a signature restaurant. Did I get that right? If so, what about SSR? OKW?
Oh yeah, so true. I guess they're attached to DS who has a few. But then one could argue BWV and BCV are attached to Epcot and HS that have a few too. And Swalphin. Hmmm???

I'll be honest, SSR and OKW are the bottom of my list. And I like to eat (much to DH's 'el cheapo' chagrin) at signatures. After BWV and BCV I have AKV and BRV/CCV on my order of preference. I admit, without AP it may get bumped out for BLT.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter