Lightspeed ahead to a healthier you! April 2016 WISH challenge... all are welcome!

Okay..... gonna start out with this warning......:offtopic:,
I need a moment and a place to rant, so this is the place and time.... and I am totally honest in saying that if you don't want to read because this truly honestly has NOTHING to do with weight loss, exercise, or anything else even remotely related to this challenge, I understand and I am okay if you just cruise right on by.

DS's robotics team ended yesterday near the bottom of the pack.... they weren't chosen for an alliance and so didn't end up in any of the finals. They did not receive even a SINGLE award (our team is often a shoe-in for the Image Award or Team Spirit Award, at least). Now, I get it.... this is not the end of the world in the grand scheme of life. But I am feeling an overwhelming sadness about this.... I think a big reason is because it means it is OVER. His 9 years of FIRST robotics is over.... and it ended on a sad note. And it seems to be becoming REAL to me that this is the end of his life as a high school student, which means he is that much closer to being out of the house. As long as we had another robotics tournament to look towards, it seemed to keep the "end" at bay. So in addition to being absolutely CRUSHED for my DS and his team in regards to how his team finished their season, I am feeling an overwhelming sadness for me that DS will soon be out of the house and GONE. My heart is absolutely breaking that suddenly my life as a "Mom" and being needed by my kids is over.

I want to run into DS's room right now and grab him and hug him and never let go to try and freeze time. I knew I'd miss DD when she left for school and I cried many, many tears.... but this is suddenly hitting me MUCH harder than I ever imagined. Maybe because when DD left, my best friend was moving away, but I still had "responsibilities" as a Mom with DS still here... but now....

Anyhow... as you were warned, that was a rant and a ramble with no real end. But I had to get it out. I tried SO HARD not to cry yesterday at the event.... I knew that DS was already really sad (as was the entire team and parents and mentors), and I didn't want him to feel some sort of misplaced guilt for my sadness. And when I got home late last night I just said goodnight and dropped into bed .... but I was awake very early this morning and cannot seem to shake this sad feeling today. I have a physical ache in my gut right now..... but I need to get it out and get over it before DS is up and moving.

I know I'll probably feel better tomorrow.... but today is just a sad day for me.

GO HUG YOUR KIDS! .....................P

:grouphug: for you. That is hugely disappointing for you son. Your post made me teary - feeling sad for you and a heads up of what's to come for me! My oldest is only in year 10 at the moment but at the end of this year he can get his driving learners permit - I can just see it all being over in a blink and being where you are at.

There is a Dr. Seuss quote that makes a lot of sense but it is hard to accept as parents.

"Don't cry because it is over but smile because it happened."

I love this quote - but sometimes it I so hard to do.

Thank you, thank you, thank you ALL for the love, hugs, kind words and support. I am feeling a little better now. DS woke up in a good mood.... he isn't the type to let things drag him down for long and that made me feel better. Plus he came right in to sit and snuggle with me for a bit when he got up..... like he intuitively KNEW what I needed today!

Dona, I do LOVE that saying....it may have to be my mantra for the next few months (or years!). And I knew, as the Mom of grown boys, that you would definitely understand how I was feeling.

DS and I spent some time today looking at his three top choices for schools online and planning out a road trip for next weekend to try and get to all of them... not sure if will all happen in one weekend, but he needs to give all of the schools an answer by 5/1, so we don't have much time left to do this!

I've been torn today between letting this be a day to rest and relax a bit after a crazy few days.... but I'm not one to sit still much, so I've also been tempted to get into some sort of big project today. I've found a happy medium with some housework, laundry, cleaning out a closet, some Pinterest time, and watching some tv with my men. Seems like it is one more "high carb" day for DH (the popcorn pot is dirty), so I've offered to make homemade pizza for them for dinner (you think they'd be tired of pizza and burgers after three days of them!). I'll probably make myself a low carb flatbread pizza. Eating for most of the weekend was a combination of right-on-track with a bit of "why-did-I-eat-that?" thrown in (mostly in liquid "hops and barley" form). I refuse to "throw in the towel" and eat like crap today though. The next bite is a chance to get it right?.... RIGHT??!!

I'll be back in the morning with a fresh and fun QOTD!!..........................P

Glad you are feeling a bit better and you have a wonderful son who gave you a good hug - maybe he is feeling some of these same things deep down about the end of robotics and going to college soon.

12991096_10101262320277040_6607091875797208931_n.jpg

I conquered the rolling hills of Raleigh this weekend - despite a knee injury and 32 degree starting weather (brr, my thin So Cal blood was so cold!). My official finishing time according to Rock n Roll was 3:12:18 - which sets me up for a new personal record by two minutes! The big bus I'm holding in the pic (and upper far right) is a heavy medal - you start to earn these as you do 2, 3, 4, etc races through 10. This marks number 5 and I am now 33.3% of the way to my goal of 15 races. At race 15 I'll get a huge award that weighs about 10 pounds :P

I am a firm believer that all things are mental. My knee hurt. I wanted to quit about every .1 miles during the last 3 miles because of said knee and my ankle being sore as well from the hills. But I kept going and shut that little voice up inside my head. I think this applies to everyone in anything they try - so persevere and keep going! :D

3 week break until my next race - Nashville and then the next weekend is Tinkerbell 10k. My 10K time looks to be right on the cusp of the much-needed 1:20 POT for the Dumbo Double Dare. Going to take it easy in Nashville so that I don't exhaust myself - three weeks to recover. Woohoo.

So sorry to hear about your Dad - prayers for you.

Thank you!

I just wanted to say I will keep you and your family in my thoughts. My dad was diagnosed with stage 3 lung cancer 6 years ago. He has had it return twice in other locations (brain and adrenal gland) but has been cancer free for 4 years now. Stage 3 was a scary diagnosis, but there is so much more they are able to do these days it is far more treatable than 10 years ago. Taking some time for yourself is important, but I think adjusting your goals so they still feel attainable despite your increased demands this month is a smart choice. Focus on making healthy choices and go easy on yourself if you falter! I hope everything goes well for him!

Thank so much for this - love to hear of folks who overcame their cancer!

REPORT -- Gained a pound. Argh!
0%

View attachment 161250

I conquered the rolling hills of Raleigh this weekend - despite a knee injury and 32 degree starting weather (brr, my thin So Cal blood was so cold!). My official finishing time according to Rock n Roll was 3:12:18 - which sets me up for a new personal record by two minutes! The big bus I'm holding in the pic (and upper far right) is a heavy medal - you start to earn these as you do 2, 3, 4, etc races through 10. This marks number 5 and I am now 33.3% of the way to my goal of 15 races. At race 15 I'll get a huge award that weighs about 10 pounds :P

I am a firm believer that all things are mental. My knee hurt. I wanted to quit about every .1 miles during the last 3 miles because of said knee and my ankle being sore as well from the hills. But I kept going and shut that little voice up inside my head. I think this applies to everyone in anything they try - so persevere and keep going! :D

3 week break until my next race - Nashville and then the next weekend is Tinkerbell 10k. My 10K time looks to be right on the cusp of the much-needed 1:20 POT for the Dumbo Double Dare. Going to take it easy in Nashville so that I don't exhaust myself - three weeks to recover. Woohoo.
Congratulations on a terrific race!

Quick check in. Just finished my long run: 6.35 km (3.95 miles) in 45 minutes. Very happy with this and I still have nearly two months to go until my 10k. The great thing is that I could have gone on, but since I want to build distance slowly, I did stick with my 45 minute goal. Next Sunday I will increase the distance again.

Great Job!

View attachment 161250

Great job! Sound like a cold hard race. Being able to power through is a great skill to have :). You are improving with each race and that is awesome.

ETA:
I'm on my iPad and multiquote is being wonky, but great job on the first 10 days everyone! I see a lot of progress. Even those whose scales are not showing progress, I see it in how many of you are evaluating what you are doing and changes you need to make.

As for my own progress I'm at 25%. My goals were 6 hours a week for exercise (12.5%) and staying under my MFP calorie goal for the week (12.5%). Accomplished both of those.

Last edited:
I need a moment and a place to rant, so this is the place and time.... and I am totally honest in saying that if you don't want to read because this truly honestly has NOTHING to do with weight loss, exercise, or anything else even remotely related to this challenge, I understand and I am okay if you just cruise right on by.

DS's robotics team ended yesterday near the bottom of the pack.... they weren't chosen for an alliance and so didn't end up in any of the finals. They did not receive even a SINGLE award (our team is often a shoe-in for the Image Award or Team Spirit Award, at least). Now, I get it.... this is not the end of the world in the grand scheme of life. But I am feeling an overwhelming sadness about this.... I think a big reason is because it means it is OVER. His 9 years of FIRST robotics is over.... and it ended on a sad note. And it seems to be becoming REAL to me that this is the end of his life as a high school student, which means he is that much closer to being out of the house. As long as we had another robotics tournament to look towards, it seemed to keep the "end" at bay. So in addition to being absolutely CRUSHED for my DS and his team in regards to how his team finished their season, I am feeling an overwhelming sadness for me that DS will soon be out of the house and GONE. My heart is absolutely breaking that suddenly my life as a "Mom" and being needed by my kids is over.

I want to run into DS's room right now and grab him and hug him and never let go to try and freeze time. I knew I'd miss DD when she left for school and I cried many, many tears.... but this is suddenly hitting me MUCH harder than I ever imagined. Maybe because when DD left, my best friend was moving away, but I still had "responsibilities" as a Mom with DS still here... but now....

Anyhow... as you were warned, that was a rant and a ramble with no real end. But I had to get it out. I tried SO HARD not to cry yesterday at the event.... I knew that DS was already really sad (as was the entire team and parents and mentors), and I didn't want him to feel some sort of misplaced guilt for my sadness. And when I got home late last night I just said goodnight and dropped into bed .... but I was awake very early this morning and cannot seem to shake this sad feeling today. I have a physical ache in my gut right now..... but I need to get it out and get over it before DS is up and moving.

I know I'll probably feel better tomorrow.... but today is just a sad day for me.

Hugs for you - I'm not there yet in life, but I can only imagine I will feel the same way. It's got to be so tough. Hang in there; I'm sure tomorrow will be better.

Progress - 15%

I only missed one workout, but I had a hard time getting enough water this week. Wednesday - Saturday I was at a conference with students and even though I packed bottled water I still didn't drink enough :confused3

Looking forward to getting back into my normal routine tomorrow. Wishing everyone a good week!

My scale is all over the place currently. On Friday I had a tiny loss and did not like it and then the scale jumped wildly up from there the following days... I know it is just fluctuation, but it is annoying nevertheless. So, I am reporting in with my Friday weight. 10% towards goal.

Saturday turned out to be quite a bad evening regardless. My self control just goes out of the window in situations like where there is lots of food available. As @Dr Gunnie stated, I just really like bad food like chips, salted nuts, pizza. At least I stopped at the chocolate because that is something that I can leave. BUT when I woke up Sunday morning, I realized that my body was telling me that it did not need to be fueled just yet. This is something that I noticed whenever I managed to get into a good eating routine. If I overdo it, my body lets me skip a meal. And I need to listen to this. When I was in college I always marveled at my skinny friends who would say after a big meal how full they are and how they will more or less not eat the next day. I thought that was crazy and for me a big meal did not mean at all that I was not hungry the next day, more likely I was going to be more hungry because my tummy got used to good portions. However, I have found out that this can be changed when I am good at eating portions that my brain tells me are sensible over a period of time my body gets used to it and can develop that same mechanism. There is a reason after all why my skinny friends were skinny... (They still are, after three babies they all still have am BMI of 19). So, I made Sunday a good day, ate very healthy stuff and only ate when I was hungry and that was not a lot! So, hopefully the Saturday damage will be not so bad.

I hope everyone has a great start into the new week! Here it is sunny and I feel full of energy!

Good morning my friends! I just want to give a heads up to you all about reporting your progress.... I will be doing the progress report this evening, so if you haven't reported in it is not too late! Remember, I am mathematically challenged, so PLEASE report your percentage of progress toward your monthly goal.

I'll be back in a bit with the QOTD.................P

Good morning and happy MONDAY to everyone! Welcome to your QOTD for April 11, 2016!

4-the-force-awakens-Yoda-meme.jpg

Well.... I don't know about you, but Monday mornings are the HARDEST morning to get up! No matter how much rest I've gotten over the weekend, the alarm is always too loud and too early! :yoda: Like Yoda there, I'd like just 5 more minutes (and then 5 more minutes and then.... well, you understand).

Sleep.... it is a magical thing.... it feels SO GOOD and it is GOOD for us!! If you don't believe me, just read this article on how sleep relates to weight loss.... (yes guys, I know it is from WOMEN'S health.... sorry :rolleyes1)
http://www.womenshealthmag.com/weight-loss/sleep-weight-loss

How much sleep do you actually get every night (on average)? Do you think it is enough? It not, what are you doing to try and get MORE quality sleep? Have you ever noticed a connection between sleep and weight loss or other health issues?

How much sleep do you actually get every night (on average)? Do you think it is enough? It not, what are you doing to try and get MORE quality sleep? Have you ever noticed a connection between sleep and weight loss or other health issues?

Ah, this is a topic that was quite a revelation to me some time ago!! I really can see a difference in how easy it is for me to lose weight depending on how much sleep I get. I have found that if I sleep 7 hours 30 minutes, pounds come off much easier. The strange thing is also that if I don't sleep properly, I find it more difficult to go to bed at a reasonable time. It is a vicious circle that is very difficult to break out of.

So, 7 hours 30 minutes is my goal on average. Currently I only average about 7 hours 15 minutes, especially since I had some "short" nights with 6 hours 50 minutes (data all according to my fitbit which does a pretty accurate job with my sleep monitoring). My problem isn't that I don't have the time to sleep, but that I just find it so difficult to move myself into bed and then switch off the light.

I have found that one thing that helps me in this regard is that I have my fitbit set on an alarm at 10:30pm, which is when I ought to start getting ready for bed. Sometimes it works better than other days, but at least it is a daily reminder to stop whatever I am doing and go and brush my teeth.

I have also realised that for me it is important to try to maintain a constant sleep schedule. As much as I love sleeping in on the weekends, it does not really do me any good. It is easier for me to get up early on the weekends as well. Of course there might be the odd occasion now and then when I stay up very late. And I usually set the alarm for 30 minutes or an hour later than during the week, but I can't do sleep until 10am on a Sunday and then get up at 6:30am on Monday. And I have found out that I actually enjoy being up early on the weekends!!! :scared1: (But only if I managed to get a nice amount of sleep of course...).

Well.... I don't know about you, but Monday mornings are the HARDEST morning to get up! No matter how much rest I've gotten over the weekend, the alarm is always too loud and too early! :yoda: Like Yoda there, I'd like just 5 more minutes (and then 5 more minutes and then.... well, you understand).

Sleep.... it is a magical thing.... it feels SO GOOD and it is GOOD for us!! If you don't believe me, just read this article on how sleep relates to weight loss.... (yes guys, I know it is from WOMEN'S health.... sorry :rolleyes1)

Interesting read :D I probably getting about 7 hours a night average - some nights less some nights more, some nights much more when I have fallen asleep on the couch at 7.30pm from sheer exhaustion. I tend to need a daytime nap on the weekends - sometimes both Saturday and Sunday - I am hoping that starting by current B12 and iron supplements will help with that somewhat. I know that I definitely snack more at night when I am up later and it makes sense that I would look for high energy sugary foods to also boost energy temporarily when needed throughout the day - but in saying that I am a sweet tooth and a bit of a sugar addict anyway. Today was my first day back at work after 2 weeks and by 3pm I was fighting to keep my eyes open - I did not have any snacks with me by then (good or bad) or soft drink handy enough lol - I ended up giving up and having a long chat with one of my work friends :oops: I have had a pretty good day food wise today though so that is a positive and I even got in 2 serves of fruit - that is unusual for me so I am happy with that. My appointment with the dietician and exercise physiologist is on Monday so I will hopefully have more of a plan and supports in place. Have a great week everyone.

QOTD - Being a night shift RN, this is a challenge! I can attest that lack of sleep plays havoc with metabolism and general health. I've recently changed my schedule to 2 day shifts and 2 night shifts, and that extra sleep is heavenly! I usually sleep 8 hours each night. On my night shift days, I sleep 3 hours before work, then have a 3-4 nap when I get home from work. I miss that nap when I'm driving my Dad to appts

I completely understand. I was this way last week with my son. Though I still have several years of him at home, I can only imagine how I will feel when he is getting ready to leave. I don't have many words of wisdom other then many of us have been in the same situation and you are not alone. Sending you big hugs.

Good morning and happy MONDAY to everyone! Welcome to your QOTD for April 11, 2016!

View attachment 161328

I get about 5.5 hours to 6.5 hours a night during the week before my alarm goes off. Then I hit snooze every 10 minutes for about an hour before I get up and start running around my house because I am going to be late to work. This is why I can't work out in the morning before work. I am the worst person to wake up in the morning. On the weekend I usually get about 8 hours. It would be more but my daughter (who is 8) starts waking me up at like 8 begging for breakfast. I then usually get up make breakfast then sit on the couch half asleep for about another hour or so. I have always loved my sleep. As a baby my mom said I would sleep 12 hours a night and I still did that until I had kids and I do miss it.

I have not noticed a connection in weight loss.

Check in. I lost 1 pound this week. I am at 20% of my goal.

I was shocked that I lost a pound. I did not get any workouts in this week and did not his 10,000 at all. I did really watch what i was eating though. This week should be much better. I should be able to work out at least 3 days if not more this week. I am feeling very determined to get to my goal before my trip. I have about 50 days today and about 10 pounds. I really need to kick this into high gear.

Oh Blah - sleep is a huge problem for me. I average about 5.5 hours a night (according to my fitbit) and while I function OK on that much sleep, I could really use about 7.5 to actually feel good.

My biggest obstacles to good sleep are:

(1) I love the peace and quiet in the house when everyone is asleep. I, selfishly, just can't go to sleep when the kids go to sleep. My house is so loud and crazy, that I feel I NEED the quiet as much or more than I need sleep. Sometimes I just sit in the quiet, other times I read, work on projects, watch reruns or dvr'd shows - it's very much MY time and I don't want to give it up.

(2) disrupted sleep. My daughter has type 1 (juvenile) diabetes and, especially with her being 13 and extremely hormonal, her blood sugar is all over the place. She wears a continuous glucose monitor (an absolute godsend) that alarms when she has either high blood glucose and low blood glucose. I take care of all overnight alarms so she can sleep. I get woken up overnight (where I have to get out of bed and deal with one or the other) about 3 or 4 times a week. Sometimes I'm up for an hour at a time overnight. If you've ever taken care of a newborn, it's kind of like that - but the baby never grows up (well, it will become a lot more sensible once she's done being a teenager!). Disrupted sleep stinks!

I don't know if it affects weightloss. I guess I'd have to get a lot of sleep to find out!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter