Official Dopey 2017 Thread

@pixarmom @sammykster I run in a zero drop show as well and don't require much breakin. I have three pairs of shoes all by the same maker.
Skora Fit will be used for the 5k
Then I will alternate between two pair of Skora Tempos for the 10k through the full.

@pixarmom Which brand are your shoes? I'm not sure but Skora is having trouble business wise and I may need to pan on switching shoes. I'm probably around 5 to 600 miles on both my Tempos. Still feel good but I know it's just a matter of time.

@pixarmom @sammykster I run in a zero drop show as well and don't require much breakin. I have three pairs of shoes all by the same maker.
Skora Fit will be used for the 5k
Then I will alternate between two pair of Skora Tempos for the 10k through the full.

@pixarmom Which brand are your shoes? I'm not sure but Skora is having trouble business wise and I may need to pan on switching shoes. I'm probably around 5 to 600 miles on both my Tempos. Still feel good but I know it's just a matter of time.

Merrell! About 5 years ago, I switched to 0 drop and started with Merrell Pace Glove.

Merrell Pace Glove: I have two pairs of this style and they are really beat up. Too much leather on the shoe for me, and not enough mesh. The sole is kind of rounded, which was fine at first until I found . . .

Merrell Road Glove II. Then I bought Merrell Road Glove II and prefer those - more breathable, more space for toes, sole is flat, more durable (don't look or feel beat up as easily.) Also, I like the way the Road Glove looks - more like a running shoe. They discontinued Road Glove II so I bought two pairs of the Vapor Glove.

Merrell Vapor Glove. They are really flimsy and I don't like the look as much. I wore this style for the 2015 marathon and had no complaints during the run, but because they are flimsy they tore at the toe. Shortly after that, my other pair of Vapor Gloves tore at the toe. Boo. These are one of the last 0 drop Merrell styles standing. I read that they fixed the durability issue in the Vapor Glove II, but I'm not enough of a fan of this style to try.

Merrell Bare Access Arc 3 Trail. In terms of looks, these are my favorite. But the cushion is 8mm, which is way too much for me on distance runs. So these are shoes I would wear for a 5K or walking around the parks, or when coaching cross country so that I could run but not at longer distances or my usual pace. The new version of this - Arc 4 - goes up higher on the heel (yuck for me) and has an overall yucky feel. So once again, I had to stalk Amazon for a pair version 3 in my size.

Merrell Road Glove III. This is my new find. Like the Road Glove II, it's discontinued. Again, Amazon stalking. This is the one I ordered three times until they sent me the right size (always mismarked on the box.) They have a 0 drop, roomy toe box, flat sole, heel is low in back, snug around the arch (love that - way better than any of my other shoes) mesh all around without leather or plastic so very breathable.

Unfortunately, the only two styles that are not discontinued are my two least favorite - Vapor Glove (now in version 2) and Pace Glove (not sure which version.) I know lots of Road Glove IV are available on Amazon, but that goes too high on the heel for me. But they might work for you!

Anyone else with good 0 drop recommendations?

Hello!! I have never ran disney before but I really want to do the Dopey Challenge 2018. Am I crazy? Should I experience a disney race first? Anyone willing to answer a few questions?

Hello!! I have never ran disney before but I really want to do the Dopey Challenge 2018. Am I crazy? Should I experience a disney race first? Anyone willing to answer a few questions?
What kinds of questions?

Disney is such a huge race that running another Disney race *might* make Dopey less overwhelming...I'd highly recommend running a standalone marathon first but no one listens to me when I say that. :)

Is anyone else settling into that mild panic where you realize you have to do a marathon and it's probably going to be kind of warm out and you're just hoping to survive and bargaining with god? This will be year 4 for me and each year I think "this is it, this is the year I don't make it."

Is anyone else settling into that mild panic where you realize you have to do a marathon and it's probably going to be kind of warm out and you're just hoping to survive and bargaining with god? This will be year 4 for me and each year I think "this is it, this is the year I don't make it."

Me! This is second year for the marathon but first for Dopey. For some reason I'm just now remembering how terrible I felt through the full last year and remembering I get to run before that too, oops! I felt so good after though so it's just double that right ;) Fingers crossed we survive the heat. I just keep saying my goal is to finish alive so I feel pretty confident I can reach that.

No! This is my second marathon and first Dopey, and I'm really not feeling the panic. I just clicked on your blog and saw that you ran the Navy Air Force Half. I'm originally from California, grew up in NoVa. And last year, I was back "home" for a week and ran that Navy Air Force Half. It was my least favorite race of all time, and if you can run that you can pretty much do anything. (Really hope they aren't still giving out RedBull instead of Gatorade at the end - I had to buy a gatorade from a street vendor on the way to the metro - what???) If it's hot, you will just slow down. D.C. humidity is a crazy thing, and if you've experienced that + slow down to account for it, all will be well! :)

Not for me, but I am concerned for DW. She can handle the first three no problem. She was pretty strong at the end of Lumiere's challenge, and I think she could cruise (albeit uncomfortably) through the marathon, but the heat will be a problem if the forecast holds up. I'm hoping for rain.

On the plus side, partner in crime I mentioned before got cleared to run and was able to handle 13 without trouble during a test run last week. What happened was he finished a pretty tough ultra (50m), then slightly twisted his ankle just before MCM, which he also ran too soon after the ultra, so he didn't have enough time to recover. Turns out he had fluid around the tendons in the ankle, but no tears. Plus, his fat pad got destroyed somewhere along the way so he's in Hokas now with some taping to build that up.

So thanks to weather and all that, we'll just be cruising along, getting pictures, riding rides, goofing off, enjoying the sites, and grabbing a beer before perhaps jetting to spectator spot or two to catch the DWs on the course.

How many miles do you guys usually put on shoes before you use them in a race?
Depends on what makes then "new"... totally new shoe make/model that I've never run in before, or even the same make.model but new version of it, it gets a solid 50 miles and at least one run close to the intended race distance before I decide if it's a keeper. But a new pair of the exact same make/model/version/year shoe I like to put 5-10 miles on just to let it shape to my feet and for the laces to get some of that early stretching out of the way. My Dopey line-up is:

5K: Saucony Guide 9 in white, 115 miles on them
10K: Saucony Guide 9 in pink, 5 miles on them (technically, they're meant to be in a box until my oldest pair wears out, but the pink match my outfit, so...)
1/2: Saucony Guide 9 turquoise, 80 miles
Full: Saucony Guide 9 in teal, 40 miles

The inaugural Dopey was my first marathon. I am honestly glad I was at Disney for my first marathon. There are so many things going on, they are very slowpoke (me) friendly etc etc. What questions do you have?

I guess this is it! Back at the resort resting in hopes to fall asleep at a reasonable hour to start off the races. I'm in a tiny bit of a panic mode which started while walking into the expo but I know all will be fine and it's going to be a great time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter