OKW buildings 30-33 are occupied as of today!

The Turtle Pond Pool and associated facilities will be down for rehab April to mid-July according to an email I received, as I have a trip planned during that time.

The Turtle Pond Pool and associated facilities will be down for rehab April to mid-July according to an email I received, as I have a trip planned during that time.

You got an Email-from DVC? We also have reservations in April and the only way I knew about the Turtle Pond being closed is reading it here. I wonder if we'll be officially notified.

After watching the video I have to say I like what I saw. We have been to OKW since our friends bought in the 90's. I thought the peach color was getting dated along with the large orange tiles in the bath. Everything looks clean now, except the bed looks like it's not made since there is no color to it. I liked the bed scarves. The living room rug reminds me of coral to go along with the shadow boxes of different colored coral.

I don't want to stay in a place that looks like the Golden Girls would walk through the door.

If anyone takes another video of the units, please stand back from what you are videotaping. You can't see anything when you are six to twelve inches from the item. Get someone to open the doors and cabinets for you. I will definitely miss the armoire in the master bedroom. There was a lot of storage space in that thing. And I will also miss the drawers in the bathroom. I hate not having them. I always used them. I'll also miss the "shelf" in the shower. It was a lot bigger than the skinny little alcove in the wall. But without the map and coral on the walls in the shadow box, you get absolutely no Key West in that villa. Key West doesn't really have much of a beach either. More rocky; so that picture of Minnie and Mickey in the chairs is more Beach Club or Vero Beach than Key West. The rug in the living room looks like BLT.

I don't have a stay at OKW until Dec and I bet that sofa will be badly stained by then. Far too much tan in the villa.

If anyone takes another video of the units, please stand back from what you are videotaping. You can't see anything when you are six to twelve inches from the item. Get someone to open the doors and cabinets for you. I will definitely miss the armoire in the master bedroom. There was a lot of storage space in that thing. And I will also miss the drawers in the bathroom. I hate not having them. I always used them. I'll also miss the "shelf" in the shower. It was a lot bigger than the skinny little alcove in the wall. But without the map and coral on the walls in the shadow box, you get absolutely no Key West in that villa. Key West doesn't really have much of a beach either. More rocky; so that picture of Minnie and Mickey in the chairs is more Beach Club or Vero Beach than Key West. The rug in the living room looks like BLT.

I don't have a stay at OKW until Dec and I bet that sofa will be badly stained by then. Far too much tan in the villa.
Agree re the staining. We just got back from BWV and the couch was badly stained. They need to find a hardy fabric—Sunbrella maybe—that will take abuse. What they use now, does not allow for frequent spot cleaning. I had sunbrella seat covers in my kitchen when my twins were infants. I could rub that fabric down and restore the covers to new in a moment. They wore like iron.

After watching the video I have to say I like what I saw. We have been to OKW since our friends bought in the 90's. I thought the peach color was getting dated along with the large orange tiles in the bath. Everything looks clean now, except the bed looks like it's not made since there is no color to it. I liked the bed scarves. The living room rug reminds me of coral to go along with the shadow boxes of different colored coral.

I don't want to stay in a place that looks like the Golden Girls would walk through the door.

The resort is called OLD Key West not modern Key West. It's supposed to look dated...that's the theme. At least that's what it was when it was built.

I have mixed feelings about this rehab. It's like they did another half baked re-hab. Leaving the tables, headboard and window treatments. Looks like the dining chairs are just recovered as well. I remember how wowed we were with the decor of the rooms when we bought in 1992. Before they put that horrific blue carpeting in. I will say I am very happy they kept the whirlpool tub. I was also happy to see there is still an ice maker in the fridge. I am hoping that the video and pics don't show any subtle color still left. It looked like the in the master bath, where the wood wall used to be, it was a very soft blue? I don't get this whole gray theme hotels are using now. It works better in a hotel where you have a lot of business travelers. However most people at WDW are on vacation and want to escape to a new world. Isn't that why all the hotels are themed so differently? I fully agree the peach/orange/tealish green stuff had to go. It was impressive in 1992 but long in the tooth. But you can still do colors and keep it current. The lack of the backsplash in the kitchen just looks so very weird. The could have done anything there. Bring the granite up the wall, use some stone work etc. Looks cheap and bland. More surprising is keeping that horrible coffee table and tired kitchen set. Talk about dated. The master shower, is that actually tile or one of those plastic surrounds that are pressed to look like tile. Very hard to tell. I am guessing the rain-style glass will be easier to keep looking clean, but I miss that cool Conch Flats symbol in the door. Back in 1992 that was just impressive. The room was so full of details, it felt like you were walking into a set of some show set in Key West. Now it looks like it could be a Hilton or a Hyatt. I am just hoping it will be more exciting in person.

Video of 1 bed. It's not full screen or that good quality, but its extensive.
That's the same one as post #138. It's got great closeups of walls, door knobs and other inconsequential items.

Video of 1 bed. It's not full screen or that good quality, but its extensive.

Thanks for posting this. Overall, the remodel does/t look as bad as I had originally thought, having just seen some pictures. My only complaint, and it's a small one, is why no bed scarf? Without any color on the bed, it just looks to me like a partially made bed. However, there were several things I liked-the wavy glass in the shower, the shape of the sea shell in the hall mirror, the colors on the dining room chairs, the lamp in the living room that looks like a life guard tall chair (I remember that from preener), and the Mickey and Minnie at the beach picture in the bathroom. Does anyone else think that that LR rug would be a perfect spot to put some Hidden Mickeys? Or are there and I didn't spot them?

Refurb is a bit bland, but I definitely like the changes in the bathrooms for the most part. The old tile(while I'm sure it was beautiful when first installed) was a moldy mess. I also like the new countertop areas and the handheld shower option is a nice touch.

IMHO, it is by far not a home run, but at least it is more cohesive than the BWV refurb a few years back. That one looked like they went to a liquidation outlet and said, "Give me all your overstock products and we will make it work." However, you would think with all the talent that Disney has access to, that it would overall be better. Frankly, it does seem as if an amateur stylist did it. Sorry if that is harsh, but this is Disney--they should have some top notch talent for these things.

But the life guard living room lamp and the shell at he top of the hall mirror aren't new. The lamp was added during the last rehab about 10 years ago, the shell at the top of the hallway mirror has always been there, it is just repainted.

But the life guard living room lamp and the shell at he top of the hall mirror aren't new. The lamp was added during the last rehab about 10 years ago, the shell at the top of the hallway mirror has always been there, it is just repainted.

That seems to be the trend - if there's anything with a little fun character it's the things that were left from previous refurbs.

If you remember, the OKW bed scarves were actually cut from the brand new bedspreads from the last rehab. Only a few weeks after the rehab, Disney decided to go to bed scarves and triple sheeting because of the TV "exposés" on dirty bedspreads.

I’ve read elsewhere on the DIS that bed scarves as well as throw pillows were frequently stolen, so Disney stopped providing those free souvenirs.
Not necessarily OKW bedscarves, but I have seen ones from other resorts on sale on eBay.
I somehow don’t think they were all ‘old stock’

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter