Parents of the High School Class of 2017/College 2021

OK- got me-----what the heck is a "trunk party"????
I had to look it up. From what I could find, it's like a graduation party with a registry for things like sheets, school supplies etc. Hopefully the OP will correct me if I am wrong. Glad they are not a thing around here. DS would hate it. He is so uninterested in choosing things for his dorm, that we just went with the bundle pack ordered through his college with things like towels, comforter etc. He spent about 5 minutes choosing the colors.

I had to look it up. From what I could find, it's like a graduation party with a registry for things like sheets, school supplies etc. Hopefully the OP will correct me if I am wrong. Glad they are not a thing around here. DS would hate it. He is so uninterested in choosing things for his dorm, that we just went with the bundle pack ordered through his college with things like towels, comforter etc. He spent about 5 minutes choosing the colors.

OMG glad that is not a thing here- I wouldn't feel right about making a registry asking for gifts and I sure don't want to have to be picking out gifts for some other kids graduation.

I just checked a Bed, Bath and Beyond mailer I received and was surprised to see that it has 20% off your whole purchase, not just a single item. I think it's good through September, so be sure to check your mail. I found an online code, but haven't really searched for in-store.

Just got back from DD's 2 day orientation at Va Tech. We are both thrilled and exhausted! Her Fall class schedule has been finalized, and she has her student ID.

We dorm shopped at Bed Bath & Beyond (using that awesome 20% off total purchase) and Walmart on Monday before we left for orientation. DD was able to spend the night in a dorm on campus, so now she has a better idea about a few of the dorm items that were on our "maybe?" list. She also asked for a light terry cloth robe to wear to and from the hall shower. She didn't like undressing and dressing in the shower enclosure (too wet); nor did she feel comfortable walking the halls in just a towel - thus the robe.

We also were able to get recommendations from the business school and the university IT department for computers. We bought one of their recommendations along with the school's 4 year protection plan. They did not recommend getting a regular consumer computer at a store like Best Buy. The components used to make those computers are cheaper and wear out/break must faster (built to last 18-24 months on average). They recommended a business class computer that was built to withstand 12 hour a day usage. I am NOT tech savvy, so I wrote everything down, relayed it to DH, and he gave the specs to his friend who works in IT. We got what his friend picked out for us from the recommended choices (a MacBook Pro with Retina). I am so glad that is done!

Last edited:

Just got back from DD's 2 day orientation at Va Tech. We are both thrilled and exhausted! Her Fall class schedule has been finalized, and she has her student ID.

We dorm shopped at Bed Bath & Beyond (using that awesome 20% off total purchase) and Walmart on Monday before we left for orientation. DD was able to spend the night in a dorm on campus, so now she has a better idea about a few of the dorm items that were on our "maybe?" list. She also asked for a light terry cloth robe to wear to and from the hall shower. She didn't like undressing and dressing in the shower enclosure (too wet); nor did she feel comfortable walking the halls in just a towel - thus the robe.

We also were able to get recommendations from the business school and the university IT department for computers. We bought one of their recommendations along the school's 4 year protection plan. They did not recommend getting a regular consumer computer at a store like Best Buy. The components used to make those computers are cheaper and wear out/break must faster (built to last 18-24 months on average). They recommended a business class computer that was built to withstand 12 hour a day usage. I am NOT tech savvy, so I wrote everything down, relayed it to DH, and he gave the specs to his friend who works in IT. We got what his friend picked out for us from the recommended choices (a MacBook Pro with Retina). I am so glad that is done!

Good choice on the school's protection plan! My VT grad used the plan three times and was able to use a loaner computer while his was being fixed. It even covered the repair when he spilled water in the key board. Money well spent. We followed suit with kid 2 and kid 3- the recommended computer for their program through the campus tech store with the protection plan.

I just checked a Bed, Bath and Beyond mailer I received and was surprised to see that it has 20% off your whole purchase, not just a single item. I think it's good through September, so be sure to check your mail. I found an online code, but haven't really searched for in-store.

We were there tonight and bought a bunch of things with the 20% off and also did the pack and hold registry so the items will be in Boston near her college to pick up move in day.

DD got approved for a Discover card and it arrived today. I went to cross it off her "adulting" list and realized it was the last thing left...

I have a question. DD would like to work at Michael's while in school. She'd like to wait a couple weeks to get settled in before applying. I know when we were up there last October they had Help Wanted signs in the door. We've only worked at small local businesses, so for a place like this, would you suggest applying online or inquiring at the store?

Graduation party tomorrow. I am so sick of cleaning, lol.
Good luck to you with your party! I will never, ever wait so long for the grad party. I only have one left out of four but this business of waiting till the end of July to have the party is over! Ours is next Saturday, will certainly be fun but I'll be glad to get on with my summer once it's over with. It's all I think about.

DS leaves for camp tomorrow for a week, comes home, has his grad party, then leaves a day later for orientation. I feel like I'll barely see him before he leaves for college.

OK- got me-----what the heck is a "trunk party"????

Lol! I just recently learned this term myself. Basically, a party where guests can bring gifts to fill her "trunk" (storage locker, whatever some call it) with items she'll need for college (bedding, towels, etc). My daughter isn't taking a trunk btw but it's the term that's used for this type of party.
*edited since it's already been explained*

***It's a small party. Not expecting gifts from her peers. They're there to have fun with each other. However, our family and close friends had been reaching out wanting to know what could they gift her for college and so that's why the registry was made. Target and bed bath and beyond both offer college registries. ***

Last edited:
DD got approved for a Discover card and it arrived today. I went to cross it off her "adulting" list and realized it was the last thing left...

I have a question. DD would like to work at Michael's while in school. She'd like to wait a couple weeks to get settled in before applying. I know when we were up there last October they had Help Wanted signs in the door. We've only worked at small local businesses, so for a place like this, would you suggest applying online or inquiring at the store?

I've noticed that it's becoming more common for applications to be done online even if you walk into the store that has a help wanted sign. I'd have her call and ask the manager. For example, tjmaxx had paper applications but when my dd inquired at the children's place, the referred her to their online application.

Good luck to you with your party! I will never, ever wait so long for the grad party. I only have one left out of four but this business of waiting till the end of July to have the party is over! Ours is next Saturday, will certainly be fun but I'll be glad to get on with my summer once it's over with. It's all I think about.

DS leaves for camp tomorrow for a week, comes home, has his grad party, then leaves a day later for orientation. I feel like I'll barely see him before he leaves for college.
I hear you! I think it would have been easier to have it earlier. Glad it's done. I got way too much food!

Just got home from our last family vacation before college. We took a friend for dd and it worked out great! Three short weeks to move-in day. I feel like we aren't ready at all. We have been shopping a couple of times for the room and updated wardrobe. She got computer and wireless printer for gifts. It's just a mental game now.

Party is done. A lot of stress prior but we had a great time. I also feel as if we're not anywhere near ready. I think I'll hold off buying her a printer for now because upperclassmen have advised it isn't necessary. Not even sure if a tv is necessary either.

We just returned from out family vacation too. We went on a cruise with another family, so the older boys did things together, the younger hung out in the teen club and the adults just rested. It was so nice not to cook or clean for a whole week!
The boys attend fish camp next weekend and then return to college on 8/16. We get to watch fish review on 8/26 and the boys don't have to report back till 3:00 on Sunday. So I will have that to look forward which I hope makes dropping them off easier.

We just returned from out family vacation too. We went on a cruise with another family, so the older boys did things together, the younger hung out in the teen club and the adults just rested. It was so nice not to cook or clean for a whole week!
The boys attend fish camp next weekend and then return to college on 8/16. We get to watch fish review on 8/26 and the boys don't have to report back till 3:00 on Sunday. So I will have that to look forward which I hope makes dropping them off easier.

I'm glad you had a good vacation. Inquiring minds need to know, what is fish camp and fish review?

We went to A&M for a game two years ago - Nevada came to Texas! woowhoooo......anyway, the very nice people on the bus educated us about Fish Camp!
A&M is (laughingly) a cult!

I'm glad you had a good vacation. Inquiring minds need to know, what is fish camp and fish review?

We went to A&M for a game two years ago - Nevada came to Texas! woowhoooo......anyway, the very nice people on the bus educated us about Fish Camp!
A&M is (laughingly) a cult!

Mamacatnv is correct, A&M is a cult. And we start training them early. LOL
Fish Camp is a four day camp where freshmen get to know each other through mixers, dances and games. They also divide off into smaller discussion groups led by 2 current students. They teach freshmen all the history and traditions of the university as well as give advice and answer questions. The discussion leaders will also check on the fish during the year and will get the group together for dinner, etc. A&M is so large it is nice to see one or two friendly faces you know during those first weeks of school.

Fish review is for the freshmen joining the corps of cadets or the band. It is like a military review for the parents. A&M has a march in before every home football game.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter