Poll: Are you going to buy at Riviera

As a DVC Owner - are you planning on adding on points at Riviera

• Yes - I definitely will. I love everything I've seen about the resort

Votes: 50 10.0%
  • Maybe - I am still waiting on more information (Points Charts, room selection, etc..)

Votes: 49 9.8%
  • No - I was but not now - I don't like the resale and/or likely points required.

Votes: 78 15.6%
  • No - If I add on, I'll add at one of the older resorts or buy resale

Votes: 154 30.9%
  • NO WAY - I was never even considering it.

Votes: 168 33.7%

• Total voters
I did verify that with Riviera they are not doing the runDisney GW’s. If they had I would have done that since it adds a little more flexibility.

Yes, this actually gave us pause too. We were ready to buy, but really wanted a Wine and Dine week. We haven't bought yet. That was kind of a bummer. Decided to actually hold off and tour the models the next time we're at WDW (this fall for W&D, in fact).

Yes, this actually gave us pause too. We were ready to buy, but really wanted a Wine and Dine week. We haven't bought yet. That was kind of a bummer. Decided to actually hold off and tour the models the next time we're at WDW (this fall for W&D, in fact).

I’m going to tour it in October. I anticipate we will buy another 130 points.

Agree, there is no way an extension will happen for BWV or BCV. Disney will redevelop them and then come out with a new point chart that is higher than the Riviera.

I totally agree with you. I think it must be killing them to wait out those 20 or so more years. I probably won't be needing an extension.

As someone who owns at BWV, and in my 60's also with slim chance of grandchildren, Riviera doesn't interest me. I can see the appeal for younger people at Riviera and the lack of value for them at BWV/BC. Possibly they will love their resort and never want to sell, this is how I feel about BWV. DVC will have to pry it from my "cold dead hands".

I just got off the phone with my guide. In over ten years of working for Disney this was his best week of sales ever. I think there is a lot of interest out there for Riviera. A price increase on April 15th wouldn't surprise me at all.
Yeah, guides have been known to embellish in the past.

BTW I'm really enjoying this thread. I've learned and laughed through breakfast and two cups of tea. :thumbsup2

Honestly, Riviera has me considering a resale contract at BWV or BCV. I could break even on that sucker in just a few years. Resort end date doesn't matter. :)

Having read through this thread, it seems clear that if you are intent on staying in studios, you need to purchase that GW at the time you normally travel. I still believe that if you don't have that guaranteed week, and only purchase enough pts for a week in a studio, you may be shut out of your home resort. Still there's alway banking and borrowing if you need to book a higher pts value room. I hope it works out well for the people who buy there, and doesn't give DVC a bad name. I'm already tired of defending my "timeshare" purchase to family and friends. That is, until I invite them to stay with me. ;)

Having read through this thread, it seems clear that if you are intent on staying in studios, you need to purchase that GW at the time you normally travel. I still believe that if you don't have that guaranteed week, and only purchase enough pts for a week in a studio, you may be shut out of your home resort. Still there's alway banking and borrowing if you need to book a higher pts value room. I hope it works out well for the people who buy there, and doesn't give DVC a bad name. I'm already tired of defending my "timeshare" purchase to family and friends. That is, until I invite them to stay with me. ;)

I think it very unlikely to be shut out of Rivieria at 11 months, even in a standard studio. There are a LOT of rooms there, and not all owners will jump on it. The only times I would worry about would be those first two weeks of December and probably the first two weeks of November if you wanted a standard studio. Anything other than that I doubt a guaranteed week is necessary.

I don't know about other people, but one of the big things I love about DVC is the flexibiity. We don't regularly vacation the same week of the year every year at Disney. (Though often August or October or November or February, but in another 2 years when our daughter goes to college I expect that to shift to more January / September travel.) I know you can exchange in your direct week, but in my circumstance I just don't think it would be worth it.

.One thing i think people are missing as read through these posts is that a point is a point is a point. It matters not who sold it. So a concept of "getting shut out at the 11th month window" is just nonsensical. Now obviously it can happen if every point sold wants to get in at the Fall Frenzy but that is the same at any other resort. But having points at a given resort ensures you have the ability to book at 11 months, even if those are 'resale' points. This is why the common advice is to 'buy where you want to stay' so you get the 11th month booking window.

Of course, anyone can give the examples of the extremely limited rooms such as Animal Kingdom Concierge which are tough to get any time of the year. Still, the 'resale' points get to fight for those rooms at the 11th month mark just like direct points.

So the idea that any 'resale' or direct point can be locked out at the 11th month window is just fantasy.

My fully grandfathered SSR resale points have worked very well at the 7 month mark, even during the fall frenzy. Patience truly is a virtue.

.One thing i think people are missing as read through these posts is that a point is a point is a point. It matters not who sold it. So a concept of "getting shut out at the 11th month window" is just nonsensical. Now obviously it can happen if every point sold wants to get in at the Fall Frenzy but that is the same at any other resort. But having points at a given resort ensures you have the ability to book at 11 months, even if those are 'resale' points. This is why the common advice is to 'buy where you want to stay' so you get the 11th month booking window.

Of course, anyone can give the examples of the extremely limited rooms such as Animal Kingdom Concierge which are tough to get any time of the year. Still, the 'resale' points get to fight for those rooms at the 11th month mark just like direct points.

So the idea that any 'resale' or direct point can be locked out at the 11th month window is just fantasy.

My fully grandfathered SSR resale points have worked very well at the 7 month mark, even during the fall frenzy. Patience truly is a virtue.

Except once Riviera resales are out there. Then a Riviera point is a Riviera point is a Riviera point. It's going to get ugly if Disney doesn't change their tune...

Hmmmm - except Poly has shown a few times where if you aren't booking right at 11 months the rooms are gone. Waitlists likely work but yes, it's a shut out at 11 months and they have more than double the number of studios.

With the high purchase price now there seems to be a lot more owners who are making as small of purchase as they can and plan on getting the most out of their purchase - and that is studios. I don't think anyone is actually comparing this to 5 studios at AKV Concierge or the Values etc. but we have CCV which isn't as large of a resort but studios are booking at 11 months, PVB has had it happen a few dates now, VGF has it at certain times of the year and so on.

FWIW I never thought there would be a time that PVB studios weren't available at 7 months but that is happening more and more frequently.

Except once Riviera resales are out there. Then a Riviera point is a Riviera point is a Riviera point. It's going to get ugly if Disney doesn't change their tune...

That's not an exception, it's the rule. What you are saying by claiming an exception for Riviera is that the 7 month window is not the same. And I agree with that. What they have done is greatly devalue the 7 month point at Riviera. This is why I think the resale prices for those points will drop to around the SSR resale price pretty quickly.

That's not an exception, it's the rule. What you are saying by claiming an exception for Riviera is that the 7 month window is not the same. And I agree with that. What they have done is greatly devalue the 7 month point at Riviera. This is why I think the resale prices for those points will drop to around the SSR resale price pretty quickly.
You get enough resales at DRR & forget about the 7 month window, it’s going to get nasty at 11. Same as CCV & PVB (at certain times).

Hmmmm - except Poly has shown a few times where if you aren't booking right at 11 months the rooms are gone. Waitlists likely work but yes, it's a shut out at 11 months and they have more than double the number of studios.

With the high purchase price now there seems to be a lot more owners who are making as small of purchase as they can and plan on getting the most out of their purchase - and that is studios. I don't think anyone is actually comparing this to 5 studios at AKV Concierge or the Values etc. but we have CCV which isn't as large of a resort but studios are booking at 11 months, PVB has had it happen a few dates now, VGF has it at certain times of the year and so on.

But for those resorts that have other than studios, that doesn't apply for say 1 bedroom units. I agree that the small purchases have greatly enhanced the competition for the smallest cost rooms. The answer to that is either to join that fray or stay in 1 bed units.

Huh? The 11 month window is going to become seriously competitive at a resort where, as time goes on more and more owners can *only* book there. I have no idea what you’re on about.

Right. This isn't about creating more points. This is about restricted points whose owners know they HAVE to get the unit at 11 months, or be left without a place to stay on points.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter