• Other

Votes: 96 27.6%

• Total voters
I think I could mark each of these reasons with “Like.”

Lots of people are invested in Disney, be it
1. Financial
a) DVC ownership
b) APs

2. Emotional - childhood / lifetime / or adult-onset memories / Disneyitis.

I was thinking this is like asking why we go back to Disney - World, Land, Cruise, Aulani, ...

Or why we travel.

I had no plans to go to WDW anytime soon. I went in Mid-September, bought a 6-day ticket, as I had a timeshare certificate for a $99 rental (total for 7 nights at a Marriott property. I randomly check trade options and noticed that one was expiring in early October.)

I had an illness-induced travel hiatus for four years and had just returned to (monthly) travel in December 2019. I was in Hawaii in March just as they were shutting down.

April. May. June. July. August. Home, not working (that was the Next step in recovery).

We had airline tickets and a week booked for St Kitts in early May. Nope.

We had airline tickets, hotel points booked in San Juan, and a DCL Cruise in November. Cancelled.

”I can drive myself now, be in Orlando in about 12 hours. Nice lodging. Don’t need a companion, as I am safe at Disney as a solo traveler.”

Now, my cruise people had already gotten time off for the November cruise, so we decided we would go to WDW instead - decision made before my September trip. Another good (not quite) value on the timeshare (but a nice 3 bedroom), we can all ride together and get a dose of Disney. We are taking my nephew-in-law, who is enthusiastic about Disney (my family is just happy to be on vacations, not WDW fanatics - we are more DCL fans, as evidenced by days at sea v. Days at parks).

I’m an “Other.” Because it’s there and I’m here and want to be somewhere different from here.

Other: Because in not going to live my life at home.

I’m a grown adult who can make decisions for myself, and if the parks open and I feel it’s safe we’re going. It was a blast too!
I came because I wanted to and had some free time off work hence the “other” option in your poll. Secondly, don’t be cringy because you didn’t like my answer.

When I read the following post, I think it condensed what I thought and what I heard in yours -

“Because I can.”

And because I am alive and want to experience life, the world.

Maybe that is why we travel. And the “when“ has a lot to do with finding the time and opportunity.

Because I can. I do live locally, but even if I didn't I still would come. I was diagnosed with breast cancer at 36, my dad died of cancer in his 50's, (I'm 43) my husband works in the entertainment industry, he could not have a job tommorow. My experiences have taught me to live for today, because tomorrow isn't promised.

I am a pass holder and planning to continue being one.

Jennifer

...We love the EPCOT F&W Festival...

I love the little servings at F&W.

I was sad that several of the places I didn’t try on a Sunday in September were not open on a weekday later in the week. I’m hoping the festival will still be going in early November. I keep checking to see if they have made an official announcement for the end date.

Taking advantage of the extremely low crowds. Went over Labor Day and had a blast. Did everything we wanted to do between opening and 2:30pm at each park we visited.

Looking forward to a similar situation in November.

Glad to see a positive post about Labor Day; it seemed like the consensus was it was just too crowded.

:) We both did September and are returning in November. ... Maybe the ”correct” answer to the poll was “Because I drank the Kool-Aid.”

Glad to see a positive post about Labor Day; it seemed like the consensus was it was just too crowded.

:) We both did September and are returning in November. ... Maybe the ”correct” answer to the poll was “Because I drank the Kool-Aid.”
There was no one at the parks on Labor Day.

Unless Disney has dramatically increased capacity limits, there will be no one at the parks in November. Meaning they would need to be allowing double to triple the number of people that were allowed in September to create crowds.

We flew over the Hollywood Studios parking lot on the Skyliner at 3:00pm. There were about 5-7 rows in use. They had parked cars every other spot so in reality 2-3 rows in use.

Other - DH won an award at work earlier this year that came with a trip. We planned on going to HI in April, rescheduled that to Oct. When that couldn't happen, we chose to go to WDW in Dec instead. We're in NorCal and have been DL AP holders off and on for years. This will be our 2nd trip to WDW, but first at Christmas.

I voted "Other" for a few reasons:
  1. because we had to reschedule our Disneyland trip 5 or 6 times and then cancel it altogether.
  2. because Disneyland doesn't even have a reopening date yet.
  3. because 1 of our Disneyland reschedule dates would have been over our 25th wedding anniversary.
  4. because I had a double mastectomy a little over a year ago and I want to celebrate being frickin' ALIVE.
Number 4 said it all.....You go girl and don't look back enjoy and savor every minute....from our family to yours wishing you a long lifetime of health and happiness!!!!!! :thumbsup2
To everyone else this is why you do now and not later no matter what is happening in the world!!!!!!

Voted other. Going again the second week of November because we love being at Disney Parks and resorts and felt very safe there in July. We did cancel our Thanksgiving trip when we returned in July thinking it would be a more crowded time to travel, but the thought of waiting until our next scheduled trip in March was too much for me. When I saw $49 one way direct flights on Spirit I impulsively jumped on them. So happy and excited to be returning soon!

I was there 9/12 - 9/17. I checked "I thought crowds would be low" - but that wasn't the entire reason. I have been through hell at work for months and I needed a trip to my happy place. and, I had the time scheduled off from work, pet sitters lined up, etc etc.

Voted other. Going again the second week of November because we love being at Disney Parks and resorts and felt very safe there in July. We did cancel our Thanksgiving trip when we returned in July thinking it would be a more crowded time to travel, but the thought of waiting until our next scheduled trip in March was too much for me. When I saw $49 one way direct flights on Spirit I impulsively jumped on them. So happy and excited to be returning soon!
We felt VERY safe as well - honestly. I felt safer there than being out among the crazy people here in NC that don't wear masks.

Other. We're semi local passholders (about an hour away). I have felt safer than at work with the distancing, masks, and sanitizing but I watched a live stream of MK yesterday that looked a bit concerning with the crowd size and lack of social distancing outside of lines. I mean, it was like people weren't even trying anymore. We're still going today and have several days planned between now and early December when we are staying on property and have a few days planned as well for the holidays. If, at any time, we feel unsafe, we'll just head out and try again another day.

Other-using up days left on Annual Pass and definitely not renewing. Sad, but, no longer worth the investment.

Voted "other" but could have voted "already had this trip planned"...it's true--booked the first week of December back in January and of all the COVID-caused disappointments (not disasters, mind you, "only" disappointments) thrown at us, losing this December trip would be the worst...we're going because we want to SO badly...I'm taking my DS and DIL--DIL's first Christmas season at Disney and it's been years since DS and I have been during Christmas season. DS and DIL are just plain excited (recognizing it's a calculated COVID risk); I'm still battling feeling bad over canceled Candelight Processional (one of my top three all-time favorite Disney experiences) and loss of park-hopping. Trying hard to be like DS/DIL--just happy about being able to go. And I AM happy about being able to go. Was there in August and so got to experience the mind-bogglingly low crowds and got a taste of the differences in the COVID era...still totally psyched about this trip--felt very safe at Disney in August and expect I'll feel the same in December. HATE wearing a mask, but I do (religously and properly) and am very glad everyone else does, too. It's not enough mask-wearing hatred to prevent going and loving being there...

We are going because we planned our November trip a year ago now. It's a milestone birthday for DD and I just cannot bring myself to cancel on her after everything else she has given up this year. We know full well it will be a very different trip but we are ready to give it a go and make the most of it. I am thrilled they extended hours pretty significantly for Thanksgiving week. That will help.

I'm just curious why people are coming now, well September, and up through December of this year. We went in July and will be going in November. Both trips were already planned and have non-refundable DVC rentals. I don't want this to get political. So, stick to an answer in the poll.

We planned a USO/WDW trip back in Jan for dates starting before Thanksgiving through the following weekend, booked DVC Rentals like you so we were 100% locked into our rooms. When all this craziness hit in March I was sure it would blow over within 8 months, little did I know how the world would react (all I'll say about that). But we are still happily moving forward. I'm in the crowd that is not concerned for safety in the least and more worried about ride wait times and eating options due to fewer places open and required mobile ordering which adds extra wrinkles and effort to just get some food to eat. So onward and upward for our trip, and we will make the best of it. The big excitement for us on this trip is this is our first ever vacation with friends so we will have 4 kids total and even one set of grandparents so getting to share in the fun, adventure, and craziness will be half the fun for sure. And while we don't go a dozen times a year like some folks, we have been twice in the past 7 years and this is our 3rd trip and we have not missed out on anything that we wanted to accomplish before and don't envision we'll have issues this time either. This is why we schedule multiple days in every park (except EPCOT, it gets just one day but that is enough to hit the 4 biggest rides and still time for other things too).

I'm a local AP and have been going since shortly after the parks reopened. I appreciate all the measures Disney is taking because it makes going feasible for me.

Disney is my happy place and I'm thankful it is open.

I'm in the "other" category. We have Platinum APs (GA residents) and chose not to cancel them because they were purchased about 3 price increases ago and felt like taking the extension was the better option for us. We had planned to go for a long weekend for Flower and Garden Festival, which was obviously cancelled. Had a few backups in late spring/early summer which also were cancelled. Decided we didn't want to go right at re-opening (kind of regretting that in hindsight) and didn't want to go Labor Day week due to the heat and humidity. We also were supposed to spend 10 days in late September with family coming from New Zealand, and obviously their trip had to be cancelled. Decided about 2 months ago to give mid October, right between our birthdays a try, hoping that it's a little less hot and humid than September would have been. We spent 3 weeks traveling by car to Yellowstone and back and were able to take precautions and stay safe. The biggest difference for this upcoming trip vs. the road trip is that we'll have to be indoors with others for longer periods of time, by the nature of queues and riding rides.

I voted other because we had a trip to DLR planned & switched to WDW for the same week since DLR will not be open in time. So I guess it was kinda already planned at this time but definitely was not planning on WDW!

Also, we just really really need some Disney magic.

Everything we had planned this year got cancelled, and we decided we all needed a break. Since we are actually getting bonuses this year (unexpected, we thought COVID would make them zero), we decided the best use for that money was to do something that made us happy.

I think the FL theme parks are working hard to stay safe, and we will do the same outside the parks. We're driving, we're in a condo, we're limiting being inside places (drive thru and cooking most meals). I think we can do this and be ok.

Our Jan Universal trip was already planned, and we didn't change that. It's just me and the hubs though; Dec is me, the kids, a girlfriend, and another family member. They deserve the break.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter