Star Wars Half....any new info?

kappyfamily said:
Just curious if anyone has heard any whispers or rumors on this one!

I contacted rundisney last week about it coincidentally and they basically told me should an announcement occur to keep an eye on the Rd website/Facebook in the future blahblahblah...

Based on my own speculation between the amount of time of the initial annoucement, registeration, and the event for the Avengers weekend, if hypothetically there were to be a sw race for sw weekends in May 2015 there should be in theory an announcement around August of this year with registration in September.

*keeping fingers crossed they host it in wdw and turn it into another w&d night time race*

Just imagining how insanely fast this race would sell out- they should really make it the same day on both coasts and have a Imperial/Rebellion thing happening that switches coasts every year!

Just imagining how insanely fast this race would sell out- they should really make it the same day on both coasts and have a Imperial/Rebellion thing happening that switches coasts every year!

If RunDisney is smart they will read your post and make it happen soon. This is one of the best idea's I've heard.

I love that idea! And the metal part of the medal is the base of a light saber and you could choose which color you want.

That is genius!!!

A friend who is big into RunDisney races noticed some interesting things on the Avengers promo announcement. They are not here for me to ask and I forgot, but the bib numbers were significant. It matched up to the month and day of the race. But there was another bib and they seem to think it may, just may, have something to do with a Star Wars race. But I think the big referred to 9 (September).

But May is brutal in Florida and Star Wars month is packed enough, so what better way to bring in people at other times. I'll have to recheck and get the details.

That is genius!!!

A friend who is big into RunDisney races noticed some interesting things on the Avengers promo announcement. They are not here for me to ask and I forgot, but the bib numbers were significant. It matched up to the month and day of the race. But there was another bib and they seem to think it may, just may, have something to do with a Star Wars race. But I think the big referred to 9 (September).

But May is brutal in Florida and Star Wars month is packed enough, so what better way to bring in people at other times. I'll have to recheck and get the details.

September is brutal too. Living in Orlando, I find it more brutal than May.
If there's a Star Wars runDisney weekend, I hope they have a 10K to go with the family fun 5K and 1/2 marathon.

If a SW race occurs in Sept ^^^ they would have to announced that at least 6+months in advance the event. Meaning, at the earliest we wouldn't get an announcement until next year. Perhaps the 9 could refer to 5/9/15 which falls on a Saturday conveniently.

But May is brutal in Florida

They tend to be hot. But regardless of when and where this race takes place I don't see a Star Wars Half occurring at any of the Disney parks during the day. I'll eat my own hat if they don't turn it into a night race given the theme. (would Anaheim even allow road closures at night?)

Having said that, coming from someone who lives and trains in South Florida I can vouch that there isn't a single difference between doing the TOT in October at night and running a half in May at night. I'd wager doing the half in Disneyland in the August heat is worse.

They tend to be hot. But regardless of when and where this race takes place I don't see a Star Wars Half occurring at any of the Disney parks during the day. I'll eat my own hat if they don't turn it into a night race given the theme. (would Anaheim even allow road closures at night?)

I still think EEC is gone after this year, and SW will take it's place. Do a night race in May that kicks off SW weekends.

They could even keep the "challenge" theme, and make you defeat the Empire or something by solving clues to get to the after party.

Questions:
Will I be able to use my hyperdrive for this?
Will distance be measured in miles, kilometers, or parsecs?
Will we get disqualified for Force tripping people?
Will the Ewoks and/or Wookies be at a disadvantage due to their height (or lack thereof)?
Will we have to dodge Tusken Raider shots on the canyon dune turn?

OMG that gives me an idea ... theme it to POD RACING!!! And require costumes!! The team event will be 3 people, 2 as engines, one as the pod and driver!! Disney is missing the boat if they don't theme the heck out of a Star Wars race (assuming they have one).

Oh, man!! If they ax the EEC, our girls would love a Star Wars-themed replacement. I would even get my heinie back in shape and run the 1/2 myself:lmao:

The biggest issue would be that DD8 *MUST* have a *REAL* medal, like the one for the EEC. If they do a 5K, she would not be satisfied with a rubber "medal":snooty:. She turns 9 in September and we were planning on doing the EEC as a family, but if they offer a nice alternative, we'd definitely be interested. The only problem is that, as DVC members, booking a reservation at 6 months is almost impossible. Hmmm...should I plan on the first weekend in May (like when the EEC has traditionally been held) or later in May to coincide with SWW?? If I guess wrong, we may be out of luck.

But regardless of when and where this race takes place I don't see a Star Wars Half occurring at any of the Disney parks during the day. I'll eat my own hat if they don't turn it into a night race given the theme. (would Anaheim even allow road closures at night?)

Having said that, coming from someone who lives and trains in South Florida I can vouch that there isn't a single difference between doing the TOT in October at night and running a half in May at night. I'd wager doing the half in Disneyland in the August heat is worse.
Totally agree with all of the above! I live in the Tampa Bay area and for sure, early May is heaps better than late Sept/early Oct! And SW has to be a night race. It's SPACE! Gotta be in the dark, right?!

I still think EEC is gone after this year, and SW will take it's place. Do a night race in May that kicks off SW weekends.
::yes::

They could even keep the "challenge" theme, and make you defeat the Empire or something by solving clues to get to the after party.
Okay, that right there is just brilliant!

Questions:
Will I be able to use my hyperdrive for this?
Will distance be measured in miles, kilometers, or parsecs?
Will we get disqualified for Force tripping people?
Will the Ewoks and/or Wookies be at a disadvantage due to their height (or lack thereof)?
Will we have to dodge Tusken Raider shots on the canyon dune turn?
:worship:

I do believe that the announcement will be coming later in the year. I am the one who has had a couple conversations with a particular well placed source who normally wears a fedora style hat on race morning. This person indicated both parks and DLP were getting a race. The DLP was hung up in permits and paperwork. the jist of the DLP issues was that 2015 was the earliest the race could occur. I really expected the WDW race to commence in 2014, but then I think by waiting, the folks making decisions can re-evaluate the location of the unnamed domestic race based on demand. The quick sales of the January race helps keep the new race in WDW in my mind.

I do believe that the announcement will be coming later in the year. I am the one who has had a couple conversations with a particular well placed source who normally wears a fedora style hat on race morning. This person indicated both parks and DLP were getting a race. The DLP was hung up in permits and paperwork. the jist of the DLP issues was that 2015 was the earliest the race could occur. I really expected the WDW race to commence in 2014, but then I think by waiting, the folks making decisions can re-evaluate the location of the unnamed domestic race based on demand. The quick sales of the January race helps keep the new race in WDW in my mind.

The bean counters and pencil pushers I've been chatting with support the things you've heard.

For the time being at least, we are a cash cow for Disney. And they want to keep feasting.

I hope they do a exclusive coast to coast medal for avengers/star wars like they did for princess/tink!

I have also heard that Star Wars maybe be taking Tink's spot for DL in January.
A part of me wants it to be at WDW so I can finally get my coast to coast, but the other part of me is DREADING running a half in the May florida humidity, hopefully people won't be dropping like flies.

It sounds nuts but the only way for me to do it would be to make sure I was home in front of my computer at the ready...as soon as noon comes...wham hit the website and sign up right away...hoping it doesn't sell out during my own registration.

When marathon weekend opened up a few days ago...I waited till 6pm when I got home...Dopey, the 5 and 10k were all gone and the half was just about gone. I would have liked to have signed up for the 10k along with the half but too late for me. So Star Wars...I will be home.

Just looked at the bib numbers again and it was 925. September 2nd is a Tuesday and all races and registrations are on Tuesdays. And 5 could signify May. I'm thinking Expedition Everest will be suspended due to work and Star Wars will be launched and taking place in May of next year.

Or maybe, 925 are just some random numbers. But I hate to say it, hope the first race isn't until 2016. Gotta save up some money!!!!

Great idea but seriously won't happen... The runD staff is already stretched thin on non-WDW events.....

I hope they do a exclusive coast to coast medal for avengers/star wars like they did for princess/tink!

I have also heard that Star Wars maybe be taking Tink's spot for DL in January.
A part of me wants it to be at WDW so I can finally get my coast to coast, but the other part of me is DREADING running a half in the May florida humidity, hopefully people won't be dropping like flies.

My thoughts on January was that the Tink was MLK weekend thus the move. I know that the runD staff was stretched thine to cover marathon weekend and then run think the following weekend. My thoughts are that was the key reason for the move.

With regard to May in Orlando... It's really not all that bad. Maybe 1 out of 4 weekends through mid way are warm, the remaining are much better than the T0T or even the W&D weekends

The original "Minnie" race was in May and although it was warm it wasn't any worse than some January Disney races I've done.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter