Stupid Ways you have wasted money?

Yep. About once a month I make a "Big Salad" for dinner using spring mix as the base. Top with grilled chicken or beef strips, or tuna, and other veggies/hard boiled eggs, etc. And some expensive cheese, of course.

Unless the pre-bagged spring mix is on sale, I find it cheaper to buy it at the salad bar. Standard price is about $2.99 to $3.50 for a 5 oz. bag. ($9.57 to $11.20 per pound). The supermarket salad bar is $7.99 per pound. $2.50 per bag is the break even point. If the bag is cheaper than that on sale, I buy it.
Cook's night off? :rolleyes1

...which brings us to another stupid way to waste money. My DH (God bless him) is a really terrible grocery shopper. He goes alone and it can cost double what it should AND we don't eat a lot of it. I'm laughing out loud remembering the time he brought home $12 worth of persimmons. Seriously, persimmons? At least if we're together I have a shot at "helping" him pick reasonable things at reasonable prices. :rotfl:

I have the opposite problem. My husband will take things out of the cart and tell me he can get it cheaper elsewhere. We used to have some serious rows over it. Yet he wastes money on any item that has a reduced price on it. He cannot resist a sale and it matters not if we will actually eat it. Heck he’ll choke anything down to prove a point.

...which brings us to another stupid way to waste money. My DH (God bless him) is a really terrible grocery shopper. He goes alone and it can cost double what it should AND we don't eat a lot of it. I'm laughing out loud remembering the time he brought home $12 worth of persimmons. Seriously, persimmons? At least if we're together I have a shot at "helping" him pick reasonable things at reasonable prices. :rotfl:

This is me! I spend hundreds each week on groceries and we waste too much. The BOGOs get me every time! Plus when my husband and kids like something and it gos on sale I go overboard--then of course they decide they no longer like it. I was thrilled when a neighbor asked for non perishables this week for the Panhandle, I was able to give her two very large bags of cereal, coffee, granola bars etc. (Seven bags of D&D coffee--I just don't like it anymore and it ruins my morning to choke it down, but I paid $9 a bag. It was a joy to pass it along without the guilt of feeling spoiled by just not liking it). My pantry finally looks manageable. I don't want to think of not only the money I waste on food, but how the stuff I overbuy that ends up expiring and getting tossed could have helped someone in need. I need Publix Anonymous.

Cars. I bought (financed) 5 brand new cars in 6 years, trading one for the next, and not caring how upside down I was on the loan--I never missed a payment, however. Not long before DS17 was born, we (I) realized what we (I) had done. The 5th car was a 2-door, not going to work well with a carseat, and I had had it less than a year. We sold some property to pay off the backlog of debt and bought a small sedan. I hated that car but we kept it for 5 years until it was paid off.

Currently: Starbucks. I’m working 2 jobs at the moment, 65-ish hours a week, and I don’t have access to a coffee machine at either workplace. I should really just buy some instant coffee at the grocery store... I don’t even want to know how much money I’ve dropped at Starbucks recently.

Look up on Amazon, got one for my daughter, makes really good coffee for one!
Coffee Gator Pour Over Coffee Maker

I'm sort of a hoarder/collector, and when I decide to collect something I go whole hog. So lots and lots of money wasted on Disney pins and Beanie Babies. It's embarrassing. A couple of other things I have collected have actually appreciated in value, so I guess it balances out.

My husband is a hobby guy. He also goes whole hog, only the best equipment. Photography, beer brewing, scuba stuff fills our house. He still scubas a little.

We buy wine too. :flower1:

High school class ring. Just hocked it.
Second home in Orlando. Lost a ton on that.
1984 Lincoln Mercury 2 door with baby on the way. Lost a ton on that.
Changing majors twice.
Those are the major ones.

Twice now I have forgotten to pay the Target REDCard bill and was charged a pretty decent late fee. I get the bill for it in my email and the timing never seems to work out with my monthly work invoices, so I don't pay it instantly and then I forget about it. We are very very big sticklers on paying all credit card bills off 100% every month without question, so it killed me that I managed to forget this twice and had to shell out cash for nothing. My solution to this problem is that I hardly ever step foot in Target now, except maybe for Christmas shopping.

In general or related to WDW??? The list is endless when we visit WDW! Let me see, where to begin...?

I have the opposite problem. My husband will take things out of the cart and tell me he can get it cheaper elsewhere. We used to have some serious rows over it. Yet he wastes money on any item that has a reduced price on it. He cannot resist a sale and it matters not if we will actually eat it. Heck he’ll choke anything down to prove a point.
At least he chokes it down. I can't tell you how much stuff I've thrown out that my dh bought because it was on sale. It must be a weird guy thing. This is why I'm a big supporter of separate checking accounts. At the moment him and my son are discussing buying a new monitor "because it's a great price"....not because we need one.

Currently: Starbucks. I’m working 2 jobs at the moment, 65-ish hours a week, and I don’t have access to a coffee machine at either workplace. I should really just buy some instant coffee at the grocery store... I don’t even want to know how much money I’ve dropped at Starbucks recently.

Lol. If you gave up the Starbucks, you could probably just work one job. :rotfl:

OMG, Dollar Tree stores. I go in there for one thing and wind up with my arms full of stuff I think I might need someday. When we're planning a trip to WDW, we go there to stock up on first aid supplies and toiletries. And when I say stock up, I really mean it. I have a drawer full of bandages left over from trips-you would think we were going on the Bataan Death March with all the bandages.

I gambled in Vegas. I tried to play Roulette by counting reds/blacks. I lost.

Buying concert tickets for friends so they could come with me. Yeahhhhhhhh haven't had most of them pay me back yet LOL

I was saving money to buy something I always wanted, a boat. Instead I bought an engagement ring. 29 years later we divorced... what a waste. :love2::)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter