This Is Us- Season two

that wasn't the scene for next week, that was the end of the episode. Right?

I'm pretty sure that was the preview for next week , this week ended with him getting in the car I thought. Maybe I'm wrong ....

OK, my take on how the ending played out. She picked up Jack, telling him everything would be OK in a few months. That was a bad omen.

Fast forward "a few months", and she is returning home from somewhere (hospital?) with Jack's personal belongings. Perhaps he didn't die IN the fire, but afterwards in the hospital, as a result of the fire? Since the house has burned down, the kids are at Miguel's, where they have been told that their Dad has died. As Rebecca is driving home, she drives past the now burned-down house, where it hits her that he has died, and she lets out the scream.

Yes, a lot of that is speculation.....your thoughts?
There was a note book with his belongings which was odd to me in that bag. How do you know it was a few months later?

I think we were thrown a red herring for sure. I think a fire happened (perhaps started by Randall or Kate) while Rebecca was taking Jack to rehab (hence the personal effects). She wasn’t very upset in the car, just enough to warrant someone who just dropped off her husband at rehab. She came home to see the firefighters and the house burned down, which is why she screamed-knowing the kids were home. Kate and Randall got a hold of Miguel since they couldn’t reach their mom and brought the dog they saved from the fire. Kevin doesn’t have a cast in the funeral scene from last season and they made a point to show the cast tonight so the timing is off. He’s not dead yet in the timeline.

There was a note book with his belongings which was odd to me in that bag. How do you know it was a few months later?

Because when they got in the car, Rebecca said, "Everything will be fine in a few months." Then she is in the car alone, in a different outfit-steelers shirt- with the bag next to her. We can assume time jumped a few months.

I think we were thrown a red herring for sure. I think a fire happened (perhaps started by Randall or Kate) while Rebecca was taking Jack to rehab (hence the personal effects). She wasn’t very upset in the car, just enough to warrant someone who just dropped off her husband at rehab. She came home to see the firefighters and the house burned down, which is why she screamed-knowing the kids were home. Kate and Randall got a hold of Miguel since they couldn’t reach their mom and brought the dog they saved from the fire. Kevin doesn’t have a cast in the funeral scene from last season and they made a point to show the cast tonight so the timing is off. He’s not dead yet in the timeline.
Why would Kate need to find Kevin to tell him if Jack is still alive?
I think that is how he died. They have all said we will find out soon and even though they jump around I don't think they would deliberately mislead us in that way.

Why would Kate need to find Kevin to tell him if Jack is still alive?
I think that is how he died. They have all said we will find out soon and even though they jump around I don't think they would deliberately mislead us in that way.

Because they also made it a point to show that Kate and Kevin communicate with each other first about everything-even today. It’s what they do. A fire in their house is a big enough deal that she would want to tell him first (perhaps it was Kevin’s fault and he didn’t know it).

Ahhh that makes sense. I thought the cast had some significance since they paused on it. Plus, I think the kids are a touch older when Jack dies. Someone said they were 17 when Jack dies? I don't think they are in tonight's show. Although the directer said we would get a major clue as to how Jack dies in the season opener.

Because they also made it a point to show that Kate and Kevin communicate with each other first about everything-even today. It’s what they do. A fire in their house is a big enough deal that she would want to tell him first (perhaps it was Kevin’s fault and he didn’t know it).
They also made a point to let is know that she is the one who told him about Jack. Your theory could be right, but I really think that was how he died. We still have a lot to fill in in the coming episodes, with what happened between when he got in the car and the fire.

Ok, here’s my theories.

1- Rebecca and Jack were out somewhere watching the Steelers play (maybe another Super Bowl?) Either Kate or Randall call to say the house is on fire and Jack races home before Rebecca to save the kids..something happens and he dies in the fire or at the hospital. The kids are with Miguel, because as another poster said, they had to go somewhere during/after the fire.

2- Rebecca goes out alone to watch the Steelers play. Jack stays home because he doesn’t want to be around the alcohol. Something happens and a fire breaks out..cue the rest of my theory.

We learned that the kids were 17 when Jack dies. Matching to their birth year, did the Steelers play in the Super Bowl the year they were 17?

ETA- I’m really starting to like Toby. I sympathize with him feeling like the third wheel with Kate and Kevin. My ex husband was like that with his sister. He even called us the same pet name :crazy2:
The first time I heard it was the last time that it happened.

Ok, here’s my theories.

1- Rebecca and Jack were out somewhere watching the Steelers play (maybe another Super Bowl?) Either Kate or Randall call to say the house is on fire and Jack races home before Rebecca to save the kids..something happens and he dies in the fire or at the hospital. The kids are with Miguel, because as another poster said, they had to go somewhere during/after the fire.

2- Rebecca goes out alone to watch the Steelers play. Jack stays home because he doesn’t want to be around the alcohol. Something happens and a fire breaks out..cue the rest of my theory.

We learned that the kids were 17 when Jack dies. Matching to their birth year, did the Steelers play in the Super Bowl the year they were 17?

ETA- I’m really starting to like Toby. I sympathize with him feeling like the third wheel with Kate and Kevin. My ex husband was like that with his sister. He even called us the same pet name :crazy2:
The first time I heard it was the last time that it happened.
She wouldn't have been wearing a tshirt in January. Plus, there was no snow on the ground.

She wouldn't have been wearing a tshirt in January. Plus, there was no snow on the ground.

True, there wasn’t any snow.

As for the shirt, she was probably in major shock and may have left her jacket somewhere. Plus, if I ever lose my husband, I can guarantee you I could be naked and not notice.

They showed the kids though..that was when Kate said she had to tell Kevin that their dad was dead. Are we thinking that those two scenes aren’t at the same time? That’s an interesting thought but I bet they’re related.

The cast is throwing me off. As a pp said, in the funeral scene, he did not have a cast.

Just finished watching - and first of all, I watched all of the first season on amazon and have to say that I might purchase this season also since there are SO MANY commercials! I don't really watch tv at all though so maybe that's a normal amount for any show?

I think Jack died from the fire at their house. Kate blames herself - maybe she started it accidentally somehow, or maybe he saved the dog after she tells him it is trapped upstairs, something along those lines. I don't know, but I definitely think they just showed us a glimpse of how he died.

This is the first episode I've watched that I didn't cry.

Didn't Kate say one time that it was her fault her dad was dead?

Maybe she left a curling iron on or lit a candle or something, the house caught fire, jack was too drunk to wake up or get out safely by himself. He died at the hospital.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter