What candy do you give on Halloween?

Thanks!

Oooh, I bet chips would actually go over well here....wonder what I could do with those??

I always try to have a chip/pretzel options...or sometimes Goldfish. The parents with the really little kids always love to see the Goldfish! Older kids like it too, and they usually rip them open before they make it down the porch steps - a little break from the chocolate! This year I didn't see the Goldfish so I ended up with Halloween themed Jax, which is a problem as they're a bit of a weakness for me, so hopefully they all go! I got York Peppermint Patties and Twix too...

My neighborhood is really busy. We're densely packed so it's a good bang for your buck for the trick or treaters.

I always try to have a chip/pretzel options...or sometimes Goldfish. The parents with the really little kids always love to see the Goldfish! Older kids like it too, and they usually rip them open before they make it down the porch steps - a little break from the chocolate! This year I didn't see the Goldfish so I ended up with Halloween themed Jax, which is a problem as they're a bit of a weakness for me, so hopefully they all go! I got York Peppermint Patties and Twix too...

My neighborhood is really busy. We're densely packed so it's a good bang for your buck for the trick or treaters.

I love it when people pass out non-chocolate. DS can't eat it, but 95% of what we get is chocolate around here. Chips, goldfish, etc are all great!

What are Jax though? Never heard of that.

I do the same. Always have some chocolate and some non-chocolate candy (like Skittles or Twizzlers), but also something other than candy, usually chips. This year I got some mini packs of Pringle’s which have been a hit in past years. Rice Krispie treats were also very well-received.

What are Jax though? Never heard of that.

Jax are the same as Cheez Doodles and Cheetos (puffed, not crunchy). I actually prefer them out of the three. Best taste and texture IMO, and least amount of orange dust on your fingers. :thumbsup2

We have very few kids in our neighborhood, so this year I bought individually wrapped Oreo's, Nutter Butter's, Fig Newtons, Animal Cracker's,Fruit Gusher's, Princess ring pops and just let the kids grab what they want.
We only had 6 kids total, up from last year with just 2 and the year before 0!
My husband and son were so annoyed I didn't have any good candy in the bucket.

Bought candy for work (nerds, laffy taffy, sweet tarts and bottle caps) being told to expect 40+ kids. I think we had 10. So much left over and I don’t do regular trick or treating. Guess it’ll go in the break room tomorrow.

I think we had less than half of the kids this year than any of the years prior. I might give up handing out candy at this rate.

No kids came today to our house. We live in a resort town, and there are not many year round people with kids. There is a coast Guard Base, and DH went to look there and he realized why the kids don’t venture far. Besides the homes there were stations along the road that had treats for the kids.

Well, I’m glad the kids got treats, and we get to share our Resse’s Peanut Butter Cups!

We moved last summer and found out our new neighborhood was Halloween Heaven. We had about 800 kids come by last year and probably will again this year. Luckily we found out about it in time and had plenty of candy. We buy the big bags at Walmart and fill up a giant Rubbermaid tub with the candy. We spent about $350 on candy last year. This year we have spent about $225. We also have one smaller tub with Nut Free/Gluten Free candy. We had one kid last year who couldn't eat most of the candy because of allergies and his mom was so excited that he could pick out something from our smaller tub. Everyone in our neighborhood sits out in their driveways and tons of kids arrive from about 5:00 to 8:00.

In our old neighborhoods, we seldom got any trick or treaters.
Whoa! That's nuts!

PollyannaMom, nice job!

We gave out Twix this year. Normally we give out full size Hershey products but we got a little messed up this time. (Store was all out when I went to buy them, we were away and I got a late start.) It was a slow night so I'll be bringing most into work this week.

We used to give out orange cream filled Devil Dogs (a Halloween special!) and those were a big hit, but I haven't seen them in years!

DS bought a big bag of candy to give out at the house he shares with a bunch of roommates, and I think one other person did, too - well they ran out and kids were still coming to the door at 9pm. Hope they didn't get egged! :laughing:

This year I did dark chocolate KitKats, dark chocolate Mounds and regular Milky Ways. Because we live on a side street and up a hill we hardly get any kids, had about 10 total. But our neighbor who lives at the bottom of our street a half block away from us on the main drag street, got 135 yes she counts them. So it's stressful because I never know how many we may actual get lol.

Last edited:
Last night was a first. We ran out of candy. I make up little bags with them. I did 37 because last year we had 19 kids.

called up dh and said hurry home with more candy. Sadly he said a car had its back window smashed 2 streets away. I worry what would have happened if we didn't have candy.

Gave out kit kats, reeses, skittles, twix, m and m etc.

Last night was a first. We ran out of candy. I make up little bags with them. I did 37 because last year we had 19 kids.

called up dh and said hurry home with more candy. Sadly he said a car had its back window smashed 2 streets away. I worry what would have happened if we didn't have candy.

Gave out kit kats, reeses, skittles, twix, m and m etc.
What an awful experience....the car window.

Funny...we had torrential downpours at the beginning of prime trick or treating time and an ugly front come through towards the end of prime time. That hour and half of semi-decent weather brought so many trick-or-treaters that our streets looked like something out of a Halloween movie.

I don't have a set candy that I give out, but I do have a system that involves tiered candy levels. You have the good stuff...i.e. chocolates like Reese's, Snickers, Twix, KitKat, Hershey's, Crunch, 100 Grand, M&Ms, Milky Way, Three Musketeers, etc. Then there's the next level of chocolate...Heath, Almond Joy, Mounds, Baby Ruth, etc. Then there's the seasonal chocolates...like the Palmers Eye Balls and Body Parts (which are huge hits with the kids). After that, you've got tiers with the non-chocolate...like a Blow Pop is better than a Tootsie Pop and both are better than a DumDum. Or things like Nerds, Jolly Ranchers, and Twizzlers are better than Tootsie Rolls (even though I love Tootsie Rolls) and chocolate Tootsie Rolls are better than the flavored ones. And things like Dots are my least favorite (superior would be things like Star Burst, Skittles, and Laffy Taffy), but I have a kid who LOVES dots.

I usually buy around 6-10 bags of candy (we do a lot of decorations, so there are expectations that we've got better candy), and try and give it out in a pattern that everyone gets a tiered handful of treats.

What I bought...
30542515817_78f1e2a41f_z.jpg

First round of filling our candy bowl last night...
45657817301_782531be6a_z.jpg

We had a little left over, but I'd say we had over 100 kids last night.

Tiers is not a bad idea, but then are your leftovers yucky candy?

Every year I buy several bags, and we get less than a dozen TorT. DH says buy stuff I like, so I got a bag of Mounds and one of Kit Kats. Someone in the neighborhood had a Halloween party, so I had to turn off lights within 20 minutes! Saved some for the little kids next door. DH got no candy. You just never know.

We usually get 17-18 kids. Last night, we got ONE kid the whole night!
Spent a very long time this morning opening all those tiny bags of m and m s and measuring them to make cookie dough.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter