Will the shower soap/shampoo/lotion dispensers be put into DVC rooms?

I wonder if they will still have bar soap. I hate that body wash stuff.

I think the body wash will be there, and in the ones I've stayed in that have already done it, so is the bar soap. I think they're going to have a hard time getting away from that one. Besides, it comes packaged in cardboard anyway.

I haven't read the entire thread, but personally, I think this is more about saving money due to stuff being taken home more so than some sort of "environmental statement." Sure is convenient though, when the pencil pushers' agendas come together with the environmentalists. Talk about killing two birds with one stone.

We have decided that when the installations are complete, we will purchase shampoo bars and soaps from Basin White moving forward.

This is going to be great until some teenager brings a security driver and adds Nair to the shampoo dispenser when they leave as some sort of sick practical joke. Better yet, some huge group does it as a prank to a bunch of rooms when they leave. Just charming.

Then, they'll write a great big check that comes out of our dues, as well as all the dispensers we already paid for being taken out at our expense, and the holes created repaired at our expense also. $$$$$ We all go happily back into plastic land like it never happened. Watch and see.

I swear. I don't think some people even bother to think at all.

I may be remembering wrong, but I seem to remember it being the classic two hole security screw. A motivated individual with a big paper clip and a pair of pliers (maybe not even necessary at all) can easily defeat these in almost no time. Just sayin'...

Funny how many germs we come into contact with, especially when traveling. Everything at Disney is a worldwide petri dish, really, yet communal shampoo just grosses people out somehow. Communal soap in public bathrooms is fine, as are communal napkin dispensers, ketchup dispensers, etc. Even the beloved Beverly cup dispensers.

It's just a change, and hardly the worst one (or even top 10 worst IMHO). Wipe them off with a sanitizing wipe and they're good as new.
This is how I feel. If you are worried about the soap dispenser not being cleaned, then you had better not even get in the shower. How do you know it was cleaned? I don't see how this is any different that using a soap dispenser in a public bathroom. I just don't get it.

This is going to be great until some teenager brings a security driver and adds Nair to the shampoo dispenser when they leave as some sort of sick practical joke. Better yet, some huge group does it as a prank to a bunch of rooms when they leave. Just charming.

Honestly, this is the exact thought that has come up in our discussions. Last year, at VGF, one of our pillowcases had blood stains. When we removed the pillowcase, there was a large yellowish-brown stain on the pillow that looked like it was vomit residue. The pillow was in the closet, stored in the extra linens plastic case. We assumed that someone must have been sick, packed the pillow in the plastic case, and housekeeping neglected to change it. This was one of the more extreme cases, however, overall, our DVC rooms are generally picked up, but not spotless.

Although the bottles and holder can be wiped, the idea of using someone else's toiletries, other than a family members, does bother me. We enjoy Basin products and have resolved to buy the shower bars and soaps.

Then, they'll write a great big check that comes out of our dues, as well as all the dispensers we already paid for being taken out at our expense, and the holes created repaired at our expense also. $$$$$ We all go happily back into plastic land like it never happened. Watch and see.

I swear. I don't think some people even bother to think at all.
How often has the nair joke happened? I'll check snopes. Those little bottles aren't discarded between stays. If they look full they stay.

I remember my Mom using Nair once, 50+ years ago while we were visiting relatives. Her cousin and she used it. Otherwise she did it the old-fashioned way. I seem to remember an awful smell associated with the product, so it would be difficult to not notice.

I saw a photo of an SSR remodeled studio, on a site we can't mention, that shows the Bulk bottles in the tub/shower.

BTW the Nair product still smells and is obviously not shampoo.

Substitute whatever you think is GROSS or dangerous here. The application is the same. There is no scenario in the world where this makes sense to me. None.

Substitute whatever you think is GROSS or dangerous here. The application is the same. There is no scenario in the world where this makes sense to me. None.
I don't understand.
The wall dispensers are tamper resistant, the tiny bottles are not. How many pranksters have put gross stuff in tiny bottles?

I don't understand.
The wall dispensers are tamper resistant, the tiny bottles are not. How many pranksters have put gross stuff in tiny bottles?

The tiny bottles are replaced by housekeeping during their room service between guests. It's better access to these dispensers to tamper with them than the small bottles which unless their stolen then replaced on the housekeeping cart are controlled.

Question for those talking about the Basin bar shampoos, are they any good. I tried a different companies bar shampoo and it was too drying for my hair, and the Lush conditioner bar I tried didn't work for me either. I try not to travel with a bunch of bottles that might leak.

The tiny bottles are replaced by housekeeping during their room service between guests. It's better access to these dispensers to tamper with them than the small bottles which unless their stolen then replaced on the housekeeping cart are controlled.
Most hotels I've stayed the little bottles aren't changed between guests if the bottles appear to be full and unused.

Edited to add a prankster could add gross stuff to tiny bottles and put them on housekeepers cart.

Last edited:
Question for those talking about the Basin bar shampoos, are they any good. I tried a different companies bar shampoo and it was too drying for my hair, and the Lush conditioner bar I tried didn't work for me either. I try not to travel with a bunch of bottles that might leak.
I travel with bottles, like laundry detergent, since DVC has laundry facilities. I buy bottles small enough to put inside a ziplock type bag, and sometimes I double bag. It works well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter