Windows 7 support ending 1/14/2020, are you a 7 user? **Update, page 2 #37** Now an Office 365 question

I have Win 7 here at home and Win 10 at work. I'm finally used to Win 10 so I'm okay with it.

My laptop is super old and dying (as I type this). I just need to get a new one but can't find one I like that meets my requirements. I won't be upgrading this home laptop to Win 10. I don't think I can!

My Plex server still runs 7 but I think I'm going to be upgrading my work laptop very soon, so current laptop will become new Plex server.

Thank you all for your thoughts on 10. Very interesting. Thank you again. Helps me a lot.

Well, Santa decided I needed a new laptop...... So I guess I'm gonna have to start using Windows 10 sooner than I thought.

Anyone able to tell me (as a non-techy person) how to transfer my iTunes to a new computer?

Yeah, I found that. But what I need is something written in plain (un-techy) talk.

For example (and this is totally from someone who doesn't know what she's talking about):

Open iTunes on your old computer
Connect old and new computer
Install iTunes on new computer
Highlight and drag iTunes to new computer files

I know there's more to it than that, but I need it simple.

Last edited:

Yeah, I found that. But what I need is something written in plain (un-techy) talk.

For example (and this is totally from someone who doesn't know what she's talking about):

Open iTunes on your old computer
Connect old and new computer
Install iTunes on new computer
Highlight and drag iTunes to new computer files

I know there's more to it than that, but I need it simple.
Ok that helps knowing where you are at. Here are a few thoughts. You can often find a local tech that will do the setup, and move everything like email, etc. Price isn't bad. BestBuy can but I'm not a big fan of them. But that is option 1. Another option is to find a friend that can help you through the process. Here is another link to check out, bit more plain terms that helps. How Do I Transfer My iTunes to a New Computer? Finally hit up YouTube as you can probably find a good visual to walk you through a transfer too.

I skipped 8 and 8.1 as well, 7 was good without the bells and decorations.

I swear on win 10 right now. If there is an upgrade, I'm likely to hesitate!!

Operations Manager for an IT company. We have quite a few clients who still rely on Windows 7, totaling about 300 computers total. The other 2,000+ workstations have already been converted to Windows 10 with no complaints whatsoever. Believe it or not, some clients still use Windows XP and Vista. The biggest complication with upgrading is that there's several, proprietary software developers (mostly for the industrial industry, i.e. the computers running assembly lines, maintenance equipment, etc.) who haven't jumped on the Windows 10 bandwagon yet. Employees NEED this software to work. So it's a gray area where the software developers need to do their part to get their software running on Windows 10 before we can jump in and perform the upgrade.

With Microsoft discontinuing security updates for Windows 7, we'll be upgrading those 300 computers to Windows 10 by the end of Q1 2020, which is a nightmare. On a personal note, I've had no issues with Windows 10 and I see no reason to not upgrade ASAP. Antivirus software won't protect you if your operating system is missing critical vulnerability patches, which will only be available in Windows 10. It may seem like a hassle, but it's worth it.

Last edited:
I have a Singer CE-250 embroider machine whose software runs only on Window 7. I have a dedicated computer for it. I'll keep using Windows 7 for my embroidery until I cannot any more.

Ok that helps knowing where you are at. Here are a few thoughts. You can often find a local tech that will do the setup, and move everything like email, etc. Price isn't bad. BestBuy can but I'm not a big fan of them. But that is option 1. Another option is to find a friend that can help you through the process. Here is another link to check out, bit more plain terms that helps. How Do I Transfer My iTunes to a New Computer? Finally hit up YouTube as you can probably find a good visual to walk you through a transfer too.
Thanks. As it happens my husband and son have more computer savvy than I do, but neither of them has iTunes, so no experience with it (moving or otherwise). But, they can probably follow the computer-speak directions easier than I can. I was just hoping to be able to do it myself.

@PrincessShmoo I hear ya, but I'd get some help and by all means make sure you have a good back up. I've got a large iTunes database of 10,000 so moving things over is something I make sure I have a couple of good backups.

@PrincessShmoo I hear ya, but I'd get some help and by all means make sure you have a good back up. I've got a large iTunes database of 10,000 so moving things over is something I make sure I have a couple of good backups.
Yeah, my husband makes periodic backups of all our computers. But I've already told him we need to do that before we try moving anything.

I read on one of the Apple support procedures that I have to redownload my purchases. Is that really something I need to do?

Yeah, my husband makes periodic backups of all our computers. But I've already told him we need to do that before we try moving anything.

I read on one of the Apple support procedures that I have to redownload my purchases. Is that really something I need to do?

I just set up my new laptop with iTunes. It was fairly straight forward, googled how to download iTunes, went to that site and it installed to my windows10. From there I opened the newly installed iTunes and saw all of my purchased albums and hit the little cloud symbol to download them to my new computer. It was fairly simple, I hope that helps you!

my problem now is that I didn’t have a back up for my crashed computer, so I think I have to manually input all of my cd’s that I purchased before going digital... that’s a big job.

My DH did as a pp suggested, he brought both computers to Best Buy and they transferred everything for him

and saw all of my purchased albums
Sadly my purchased songs/albums are a small percentage of what I have in my iTunes. It's mostly downloaded CDs.

But, I'm sure it'll be alright. Many years ago, when I got what is now my "old" computer, we had to transfer my iTunes, but at that time, I didn't have a lot on it. One thing I did note at the time, the number of plays for each song zeroed out with the transfer.

Update...

I bit the Windows 10 bullet. Have a new dell, Windows 10. Now doing some housekeeping, learning my way around.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts, advice and experiences. .

Update...

I bit the Windows 10 bullet. Have a new dell, Windows 10. Now doing some housekeeping, learning my way around.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts, advice and experiences. .
Well, it's not as bad as I was fearing. When 10 was new, things were different, I think. This one (on my new Dell) is real similar to 7, but, yes, there's still some new things to work out.

And, BTW, my iTunes switchover went without a hitch (yay!).

I have an Office 365 question.

I've been working with the new desktop with 10 for a number of days now. Moving things over from my 7. Overall, I seem to like it enough. Reboots are unbelievable fast, maybe 45 seconds vs. several minutes on the old PC.

I do have Office 365 on the 10. I did have Office 2010 on the 7. I've used an email 'pre-screening' program, Mailwasher, for many years. It lets me review emails before downloading them to my PC via Outlook. With the Outlook 365, as soon as an email is available, Outlook downloads it to the PC. Does anyone know how to turn off, disable the automatic downloading of emails to Outlook?

Thanks.

@Dan Murphy give this link a try. I used to use Mailwasher a long time ago, one of the key things in dealing with spam is to load email images for only emails you know and trust, many use an invisible pixel to count if the email was opened or not. By turning them off, it lets you delete the email before it can be counted and the knowing you were a live person. You can see how to change this here.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter