Wonder how they'll spin this one.

Well, what if this woman doesn't have a suspension, traffic ticket, or criminal record to report?
Then they should start snooping her social media accounts. If they keep at it, I'm sure they find pictures of her out drinking and dancing with friends.

The media knows exactly how to soil the image of victims. I can't imagine what is taking them so long to put out some dirt on the victim this time around.

OK, I'm white, so maybe my perscpective is off, but here is some of what I see:

In an ideal world, yeah, race would play no part in these things. I think most of us want to live in that world. but we don't.

We live in the world where the media harps on the swimming prowress of a white rapist but are quick to mention the number of times an unarmed black man shot by police has been pulled over in recent years.

We live in a world where those with darker skin are much more likely to be found guilty, goiven longer jail sentences and even be suspended from school than those with white skin---for the exact same things. (tons of studies to back this up---google)

and on and on and on

And, yes, when it comes to unarmed or legally armed people being killed by police in very similar circumstnace, it does seem that the narrative is different when the victim is a person of color than when they are white. People are much quicker to defend and officer for shooting when the victim is of color. They are much quicker to suggest that the victim had their hands in the wrong place or spoke with the wrong tone or whathaveyou.

If we could always just look at the facts of the incident, hey that would be awesome. But we can't. And we haven't been. And we may never get there, but if we don't admit we have these biases (and they are often subconscious) and actively work to overcome them, then it is pretty well garunteed we'll never get there.

Police in America shoot roughly 50-60 unarmed white people to death every year. When's the last time one of them made the headlines at all?

Yes, race plays a factor in many such things. But, the people who always insist on making race the central theme are every bit as delusional as those who think it never plays a part. And they're every bit as much a part of the problem.

Police in America shoot roughly 50-60 unarmed white people to death every year. When's the last time one of them made the headlines at all?

Yes, race plays a factor in many such things. But, the people who always insist on making race the central theme are every bit as delusional as those who think it never plays a part. And they're every bit as much a part of the problem.
I was curious about that number and I found databases of killings people by police officers on the Washington Post's website. Last year 963 people were killed by police: https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/national/police-shootings-2016/ . Of those 963, 48 total people were unarmed and 22 of them were white and 17 were black. Can you tell me where you found your numbers, because they don't even come close to what the Washington Post has.

White people do not riot everytime a white person is shot by a police officer. Even a black police officer.

I did notice the race, as it was usually mentioned, or obvious from the photos.
I posted before, that has had absolutely ZERO bearing on my views in this case.

Why would they? America doesn't have a history of cops killing unarmed, white women.
We all know this cop will not walk.

My response was to the PP who stated that public perception was different.
My point is yes it is, apparently this unarmed person being shot isn't worth placards declaring her life matters.

My response was to the PP who stated that public perception was different.
My point is yes it is, apparently this unarmed person being shot isn't worth placards declaring her life matters.

We know her life matters.
White womanhood has always be placed on pedestal in America.

Emmett Till was killed because of it Black Wall Street was destroyed because of it.

https://www.colorlines.com/articles/its-been-96-years-white-mobs-destroyed-tulsas-black-wall-street

http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/the-death-of-emmett-till

We know her life matters.
White womanhood has always be placed on pedestal in America.

Emmett Till was killed because of it Black Wall Street was destroyed because of it.

https://www.colorlines.com/articles/its-been-96-years-white-mobs-destroyed-tulsas-black-wall-street

http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/the-death-of-emmett-till

Or it just doesn't fit the narritive they are pushing that police are gunning down unarmed African Americans because they are rascist.

I was curious about that number and I found databases of killings people by police officers on the Washington Post's website. Last year 963 people were killed by police: https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/national/police-shootings-2016/ . Of those 963, 48 total people were unarmed and 22 of them were white and 17 were black. Can you tell me where you found your numbers, because they don't even come close to what the Washington Post has.

I don't have the link anymore, but IIRC it was for 2015 - indicated ~10% of all killed by police were unarmed regardless of race. Google search a couple weeks ago.

Why would they? America doesn't have a history of cops killing unarmed, white women.
We all know this cop will not walk.

America has no recent significant history of cops killing women period. It's a very unusual occurrence regardless of race or weapons status.

Or it just doesn't fit the narritive they are pushing that police are gunning down unarmed African Americans because they are rascist.
So why don't you tell us why unarmed black folks are being killed by police officers?

What is about black people that seem to make these officers react in this manner?

So why don't you tell us why unarmed black folks are being killed by police officers?

What is about black people that seem to make these officers react in this manner?

Its nothing about black people. Case and point, this officer has reacted in the same way to an unarmed white person.

I do not think all cops who shoot an unarmed black person is racist. I think stereotypes play a role in cops reacting how they do. Stereotypes of black men being big, strong, violent, thieves, criminals, etc. They go into the situation with a different mind set which causes them to react differently.

I worked at Old Navy as a teenager. We had a meeting before a morning shift about loss prevention. Well the night before 4 kids got caught stealing. Our manager was telling us to be vigilant with thieves and all that and her exact words were "These weren't your typical thieves. These were 4 All American Boys." Ummm....what?? Does this mean we were only trailing black people before? Are white people not thieves? Me and the only black girl there just gave each other the *** face. So I know stereotypes are there that make people view certain situations with a bad light.

The problem with this shooting isn't about racism. It's about this woman being viewed in a completely different light because she's a white woman. How it is all playing out in a completely different tone. When a black person gets shot they try to dig up anything they can (Philandro Castile) to make that person look bad. Also this cop will be put under the jail for what he has done. This woman will get justice without a question. Especially since it was a black cop that shot her.

Last edited:
22 woman, over what time period was this?
In that article, one woman was a passenger and shot during a police chase, it makes sure to say she was unarmed but what about the driver?
Then it lists one of the other woman had a heart condition and simply died in jail. What did this woman's death have to do with police killing woman?

Does the time period really matter? Unarmed people should not be shot by police officers.

When it continues to happen to one segment of society, it cause people to wonder why some officers react in this manner.

Does the time period really matter? Unarmed people should not be shot by police officers.

When it continues to happen to one segment of society, it cause people to wonder why some officers react in this manner.
It matters if someone is trying to argue that it's a systemic problem. I agree that unarmed people should not be shot by police, however often times their is more to the story.

I do not think all cops who shoot an unarmed black person is racist. I think stereotypes play a role in cops reacting how they do. Stereotypes of black men being big, strong, violent, thieves, criminals, etc. They go into the situation with a different mind set which causes them to react differently.

I worked at Old Navy as a teenager. We had a meeting before a morning shift about loss prevention. Well the night before 4 kids got caught stealing. Our manager was telling us to be vigilant with thieves and all that and her exact words were "These weren't your typical thieves. These were 4 All American Boys." Ummm....what?? Does this mean we were only trailing black people before? Are white people not thieves? Me and the only black girl there just gave each other the *** face. So I know stereotypes are there that make people view certain situations with a bad light.

The problem with this shooting isn't about racism. It's about this woman being viewed in a completely different light because she's a white woman. How it is all playing out in a completely different tone. When a black person gets shot they try to dig up anything they can (Philandro Castile) to make that person look bad. Also this cop will be put under the jail for what he has done. This woman will get justice without a question. Especially since it was a black cop that shot her.
I think it's playing out different more so because she's from Australia than simply being a white woman.

It matters if someone is trying to argue that it's a systemic problem. I agree that unarmed people should not be shot by police, however often times their is more to the story.
Yeah, we know there's always more to the story

•I feared for my life
•He/she reached for something
•He/she made a sudden move
•He/she resisted
•A loud noise startled me
•The toy gun looked real
•The bikini clad teenager was a threat(she didn't get killed but the idiot cop slammed her to the ground and SAY ON TOP OF HER)

Yeah, we know there's always more to the story

•I feared for my life
•He/she reached for something
•He/she made a sudden move
•He/she resisted
•A loud noise startled me
•The toy gun looked real
•The bikini clad teenager was a threat(she didn't get killed but the idiot cop slammed her to the ground and SAY ON TOP OF HER)
Or as the case in one of the stories in the article you linked, she was the passenger in a chase. What was the driver running for? Was he armed?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter