Would you allow your child to quit band during the school year?

My daughter was a little bit older in 11th grade when she texted me that she wanted to quit because she was bad at it. I spoke with her teacher and in her case she is a very good singer and he maintained a good violinist (at 20 looking back she still says she is bad at all stringed instruments) but she was not as good at violin as she is singing so he thought maybe boredom playing since 4th grade contributed to it so he suggested an instrument switch. I wonder if that might help?

Since this thread is 10 years old, I assume they figured it out.

After 11 years of playing violin, I finally wanted to quit when I was a freshman in high school. I wanted to try other things like volleyball and make new friends, etc. I was just plain and simple BORED with it. You just reach a point when its time to move on. He is at that age where he wants/needs to explore.

Grrrrrr....just saw it was a zombie thread. Got me!

Last edited:

OOOOOO A zombie thread.

6 out of 10 zombies asked why would we want to quit eating the band?
3 out of 10 zombies answered, because the color guard is tastier.
One zombie asked what instrument we played in the band. So while running to the car we yelled back we're vocalists and ended the survey.

Why did you bump this?

Yes, he should quit. He has his whole life to learn about commitment. This is not the end all be all

Oh man!! Why do i always fall for the zombie thread!?!?

Last edited:

I know this thread is old but I think it's still relevant. I would not allow y kids to quit band mid year as the bands are (usually) set up as ensembles, it's not fair to the director or bandmates. However, if there was some disaster going on with classes and grades that would be different. Mine are starting their 5th year of band and I know the day may come when they are no longer interested. One was also in chorus and wanted to quit mid year but I made her stay in it as they were preparing for two shows, as much as it was a pain for me to wait an hour after school.

He may be a band teacher by now.

This is hilarious! My junior high was 6-9 grade. Going into 9th grade I wanted to quit band and my parents let me at the end of 8th grade. Over the summer we got a new teacher and they redid the district boundaries. New teacher came to me and asked me to come back to band as we went from over 80 kids in advanced band to only 23. I rejoined but told him I would give it a try for the first semester.

I am now entering my 30th year as an instrumental music teacher. Did I mention I teach at the same school I quit band at the end of 8th grade?

When I see these zombie threads I check to see if the OP is still around. In this case the OP hasn't been seen here in 7 years!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter