Disney alone as a minor?

I live in NY. My kids go to public school but they have a number of friends in private schools, downstate, upstate. The schedules are basically the same. The requirements may be written that way but I have never heard of any private school getting out more than a month early. We start the week of Labor Day and finals begin the week of June 11th. The OP starts in Early September and finals started last week? That's a 6 week difference.

I have no idea where Common Core fits into the number of school days. The number of days in public schools is the same now as it was before common core.
I made a bit of a joke about asking if this was based on common core scheduling. Looks like it got ran with without a lot of knowledge about what common core really is.

My daughter’s schedule is very similar to the OP’s. They also gave a week in February, a week at Easter and seniors have begun exams. I believe AP exams start earlier as well.

My daughter’s schedule is very similar to the OP’s. They also gave a week in February, a week at Easter and seniors have begun exams. I believe AP exams start earlier as well.

AP exams are in a couple weeks. I believe they are the same nationwide. My DD has one on the 16th--there are (I believe) 4 exams given each day.

Ok, so because your kid's friends in private schools have the same schedule that means that the OP must be lying?
And really why do you care so much? Do you get off on making sure some teen girl is proven to be a liar?
Many leople are reluctant to offer assistance when they've been misled or misinformed.
Not only a great idea but pretty much you're only option.

So great; this question you asked has been decided. Start planning and please let us all know how your trip goes next year! :earsboy:
It recently occurred to me - the OP can theoretically plan, can even book room-only, but at this point would be quoted at the 2019 Holiday rates.
Even so, the OP isn't a senior yet.

Another, probably highly successful option would be to delay the trip until Easter (spring, to the rest of the country ;)) break. If they're all 17 now, and not all born in mid to late April - then at least one of the existing group will be 18 for the entire trip.

Many leople are reluctant to offer assistance when they've been misled or misinformed.

Totally understandable in certain situations however this was just a question about staying onsite under 18.
A simple yes you can or no you can't, or if you didn't believe her then ignore it.
Grilling somebody about it and trying to get them to slip up seems desperate IMO.

Have to admit, as the thread continued everything seemed more confusing.
Everybody 17.
Everybody will still be 17 during spring break next year.
Spring break is in February (which isn't spring anywhere in the world.)
Friday at 1:43, OP was posting from school during finsls.
Friday at 2:45 school is out for summer.
Summer is still six weeks away.
Private schools typically need to provide about as many school days as public schools.

Summer is not six weeks away. We get out first, then the next private school gets out in a week. The public schools get out in a little over a month.
I over-exaggerated. It is not officially summer break yet. We still have 2 more days of finals, but it is basically summer.
Like I said, we don't follow common core and we get an extra 3-4 weeks off at the end of the year because common core testing requires extra days.
Yet again, what would be the point of making this up?
To have a bunch of adults yelling at me saying I'm lying when, yet again, they know nothing about me?
Have to admit, as the thread continued everything seemed more confusing.
Everybody 17.
Everybody will still be 17 during spring break next year.
Spring break is in February (which isn't spring anywhere in the world.)
Friday at 1:43, OP was posting from school during finsls.
Friday at 2:45 school is out for summer.
Summer is still six weeks away.
Private schools typically need to provide about as many school days as public schools.

Not only a great idea but pretty much you're only option.

So great; this question you asked has been decided. Start planning and please let us all know how your trip goes next year! :earsboy:
I will!
I have family in Irvine (California) so we might just end up going to Disneyland if some of my older friends can't go, since we will not need an 18 year old to fly, and we will have a safe place to sleep/rest up rather than taking bets about trying to go as minors alone.

Summer is not six weeks away.
You're right. Summer is more than six weeks away.
Summer begins 6/21/19.
Today is May 8, 2019.
Number of days including start and end dates: 46 days.
46÷7= six weeks plus four days.

Like I said, we don't follow common core and we get an extra 3-4 weeks off at the end of the year because common core testing requires extra days.
No. Public schools (which private school requirments mimic, not necessarily copy) have been required to provide at least 180 days of education, for at least the last 50 years. Common Core went into effect in 2009. There are no "extra" days in the typical school year for Common Core instruction or testing.

Just for general information, a private school operating only 160 days a year is cheating its students, along with whoever is paying tuition, if it offers less than six hours and 12 minutes of classroom time daily.

Summer begins 6/21/19.
Today is May 8, 2019.

Oh lord, the need to be right is strong in this one.

My kids get out of school for "Summer" vacation on June 12. While not officially the date of summer solstice, that is 100% the first day of "summer" for them.

35 days from start to end date.
35/7 = 5 weeks.

Not "exactly" a month, but then their summer break doesn't start "exactly" on the first day of summer, either.

Summer begins 6/21/19.
Today is May 8, 2019.

No. Public schools (which private school requirments mimic, not necessarily copy) have been required to provide at least 180 days of education, for at least the last 50 years. Common Core went into effect in 2009. There are no "extra" days in the typical school year for Common Core instruction or testing.

Just for general information, a private school operating only 160 days a year is cheating its students, along with whoever is paying tuition, if it offers less than six hours and 12 minutes of classroom time daily.
Seriously. What could I possibly be gained from an adult telling me I'm lying when like I said, knows nothing about my life.
Schools around here don't end June 21st, not even elementary (which goes longer) my little siblings who go to a public school end a week or two before then.
This is ridiculous. I came for advice so I could travel, and walked out with people acting like they know my life.
Why are you (an adult) so obsessed with yelling at a 17 year old girl in HIGHSCHOOL and researching for facts, when you don't even know where I live (or what state, or when I even START school) accusing me of being a liar.

Summer begins 6/21/19.
Today is May 8, 2019.

Yep. My kids go to school the same amount of days that I did back in the 70s/80s. They don't have "common core testing" at the end of the year.

Last edited:
Seriously. What could I possibly be gained from an adult telling me I'm lying when like I said, knows nothing about my life.
Schools around here don't end June 21st, not even elementary (which goes longer) my little siblings who go to a public school end a week or two before then.
This is ridiculous. I came for advice so I could travel, and walked out with people acting like they know my life.
Why are you (an adult) so obsessed with yelling at a 17 year old girl in HIGHSCHOOL and researching for facts, when you don't even know where I live (or what state, or when I even START school) accusing me of being a liar.

You already said you started in September

Yep. My kids go to school the same amount of days that I did back in the 70s/80s. There is no "common core testing" at the end of the year.
It's not the end of the year.
It's the middle, and that and end of year highschool testing (that we don't take) adds weeks on.
Seriously, why do you (an adult, probably 30+ if you went to school then) want to accuse a 17 year old of lying when yet again, you don't know me or my school. Is it a guilty pleasure for you?

It's not the end of the year.
It's the middle, and that and end of year highschool testing (that we don't take) adds weeks on.
Seriously, why do you (an adult, probably 30+ if you went to school then) want to accuse a 17 year old of lying when yet again, you don't know me or my school. Is it a guilty pleasure for you?
Whatever or whenever it is, we do not have any testing that adds days onto the school year. It was 180 days way before Common Core and it's still 180 days.

My kids get out of school for "Summer" vacation on June 12. While not officially the date of summer solstice, that is 100% the first day of "summer" for them.
That's so much closer to actual summer as to be reasonable. Halfway between winter and summer (i.e. today?) Not so much. But it's not overly surprising that a school (not student, school) which designates its February school vacation as "Spring Break" would play as fast and loose with other seasons.

That's great!
However, I am not your child so you have no right to accuse me of lying.
Whatever or whenever it is, we do not have any testing that adds days onto the school year. It was 180 days way before Common Core and it's still 180 days.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter