"Little People, Big World" Official Thread

I love Matt and Amy and I'm a huge fan of the show but like Amy I was ready to strangle Matt, did he even do a budget? I can't even imagine what the cost of all the changes were.

I am watching them on Oprah right now. They just showed Zack with some of his little people friends out and about in the city, People were yelling insults from passing cars and people walking past were laughing and pointing at them. How very sad:sad2:

The ignorance of some people simply amazes me!

I can speak from experience about the ignorant things that others do when they encounter a little person... NOT because I'm a little person but because Amy was my college roomie! :goodvibes We went to CMU together and it was apalling how some treated her. I was very blessed to get to know her.

I was the "bubbly" roomie that was the first to arrive in our room freshman year! She referred to me on the show when she had her speaking engagement at Central. My one minute of fame! :rotfl2:

I watch sometimes, but it's so strange to see someone that you know so well exposed the way she is. Honestly, if people could take a step back and think about what your life would be like with cameras around so much of the time - busy schedules around 4 kids - a husband like Matt (they are very opposite personalities) - who would have a spotlessly clean house? :confused3

Anyway, I found the show by accident one night and reconnected with Amy the next day (about 2 years ago). It's such a small world! I have 2 people that work for me that went to high school and church with her too!

I couldn't do what she does... I give her and the kids a LOT of credit. Society's fascination with other's lives (mine included) will keep these kind of shows around for a long time. :rolleyes:

Still, for Zach it is worth it b/c I think public school would be rough for him.

FWIW, There are two girls in DS's class in a large public school (he's a senior) that each have a different form of dwarfism, but they have thrived and do very well in a public school environment. Each have occassionally been wheelchair-bound and/or walker-bound for long periods of time and there is no end the the number of kids who are entirely selfless when it comes to helping (or NOT helping as is often more appropriate).

Dh and I are addicted to the show as well. The messiness kills us - I knew my limitations so got a housecleaner every other week - plus those kids are old enough to pick up after themselves.

Everytime there is a trip, renovation, new vehicle, dh and I always wonder where the money comes from.

Plus, I thought it was awful that matt does this HUGE renovation, forcing the kids to all sleep together in the main room on the floor, etc. during the school year. These kids need a decent place to sleep to work at their best. I sure noticed that the parents weren't sleeping in there.

Finally, I understand that Matt physically can't do everything, but he really works his parents and kids to do the things HE wants. As one of a gazillion examples, for him and Amy to take a trip in the middle of pumpkin season was ridiculous. How long is pumpkin season? 4 weeks? They couldn't take that trip in one of the other 48 weeks out of the year?

finally, anyone else think their friend Mike is there ALL the time? We call him "no life Mike".

So, on the show, has there been any mention or reference to Matt's drunk driving problem?

Yes, the first few episodes of this season were about the trial and addressed that.

Yes, the first few episodes of this season were about the trial and addressed that.

Really? Good for them that they didn't sweep in under the rug. Haven't seen the show in probably over a year........

When the family went on the chartered catamaran Caribbean trip that must have cost a fortune! I looked up that charter for my own interest and it was over $3000 a week. They went on a deep sea fishing trip. Those are easily $750+ for a day trip. I think a lot of the trips and stuff they do are sponsored. Hawaii and Caribbean trips are expensive.

I did see Amy using the steamer on the last show. That's a nice little (pricey, I am sure) fixture to have in your kitchen. Matt did mention they could get a bank loan to finish the renovations but the interest was too high. I wonder what they will do now?

I can speak from experience about the ignorant things that others do when they encounter a little person... NOT because I'm a little person but because Amy was my college roomie! :goodvibes We went to CMU together and it was apalling how some treated her. I was very blessed to get to know her.

That's so cool that you were her roommate! :) I think Amy seems like a really neat lady. Practical, down-to-earth, tell it like it is. I like her attitude, too, about what she has dealt with in life. I remember on one episode she said that, sure, there were times that she would have liked life to be different -- but she learned to deal with life as it was, and how to handle difficulties that were sent her way. Very smart lady!

There's more to life than good housekeeping!

I was the "bubbly" roomie that was the first to arrive in our room freshman year! She referred to me on the show when she had her speaking engagement at Central. My one minute of fame! :rotfl2: ]

I remember that episode.

I don't understand how this show jumps around with it's episodes. Last week was about all the remodeling and the work being 1/2 done and then this week it seems like they went backwards with the Risk game episode being before the remodeling even started, but it was listed as a new episode. I was confused watching thinking the remodel got done somehow, then figured it out it hadn't even begun. Why do they do that?

I've been watching off and on for quite awhile now and I have really never understood the Amy bashing. I think she does a good job for what she has to deal with and she seems to be the most level headed one of the bunch. I've read alot of comments (not here) that she is too hard on Matt, but I can't imagine what would happen if she wasn't. Seems like he needs someone like Amy around to keep him focused.

I like Amy too. She seems fairly level-headed and I don't know how she stands to be married to someone as impetuous at Matt. It would drive me crazy. As for the messy house, there are times that my house can get messy, not quite Roloff messy, but messy, but if I knew a camera crew was coming the next week, there will be some serious cleaning going on.

I think Jeremy needs a new girlfriend, one a little less controlling.

I don't understand how this show jumps around with it's episodes. Last week was about all the remodeling and the work being 1/2 done and then this week it seems like they went backwards with the Risk game episode being before the remodeling even started, but it was listed as a new episode. I was confused watching thinking the remodel got done somehow, then figured it out it hadn't even begun. Why do they do that?

I've been watching off and on for quite awhile now and I have really never understood the Amy bashing. I think she does a good job for what she has to deal with and she seems to be the most level headed one of the bunch. I've read alot of comments (not here) that she is too hard on Matt, but I can't imagine what would happen if she wasn't. Seems like he needs someone like Amy around to keep him focused.

At the beginning of both of those shows Matt explains that they are "Lost Episodes." They have done a few of these now. I think they find footage that they peice together to make a new show - kind of neat!

Really? Good for them that they didn't sweep in under the rug. Haven't seen the show in probably over a year........

well, to some extent they did. the episode ended with him saying he had won the case and would be getting his lic. back in a few weeks. they never mentioned that because he refused to submit to the alcohol testing he was penalized under oregon's law and he lost his lic. for 3 years (he had gone through a diversion program due to previous dui so his refusal carried a steeper penalty).

they've never mentioned it on the show but if you notice, on subsequent episodes-he's never shown driving except on his own private property, and it's always one of the boys or the gal that they hired on as his assistant driving him in public.

i think i would be livid if i were amy. here they've finaly gotton to the point where she no longer HAS to work outside the home (remember in the first season where she was working multiple job while matt did his own thing), they were apparantly looking at the farm being paid off free and clear in the forseeable future-and then the whole reno goes over budget. and the kicker for me would have been matt going out and buying that new farm vehical:scared1:

i dunno, with 2 kids nearing college age (though i think zach is more likely to attend than jeramy), and 2 more that will still be doing private school and then on to college i'de been hesitant to take on these types of obligations without some heavy duty discussion with my dh. another factor i always wonder about is their medical care. i recall both matt and amy saying that neither of them nor zach were insurable so any medical for the 3 of them was stictly paid out of pocket-it would seem with the medical issues matt's been complaining are causing him more and more difficulties that having a very substantial savings for this purpose would be at the forefront of any financial planning.

when Zach was talking to one of his friends in one of those episodes he said "my dad pulled a Lindsay Lohan" :scared1:

I love the show. My belief with all of these shows is that if it bothers people to the point that they have to complain about the family and what they do, they should just change the channel. It wouldn't be much of a show if the house was spotless, the kids were all angels, etc.

I agree that Amy is a saint for putting up with some of the crap she puts up with.
The messy house would bother me, but those kids are old enough to help out. Every time they're asked to help, it's a huge ordeal to get them to comply.

If I were Amy, I'd hire a household helper. She sure deserves one.

The mess bothers me too, but I really like the Roloff family! Warts and all I think they have a happy family and pretty realistically represent many of the challenges we all face.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter