Move to refillable toiletries

Furthermore, my thought has always been if the soap is supposed to get rid of dirt and germs, wouldn't washing with it get rid of the contaminants and bacteria, too?

As for fecal matter in a shower, well, people wash those parts and may touch that area of their body, then the pump to get more soap, but again, isn't the soap supposed to wash that off your hands?
Ugh - can’t even ...

At times like this, I think of an old story about Disneyland. It was something like - After Disneyland opened, someone realized they were losing money on the programs / guidebooks. I think it cost them $.25 to make the guidebook that they sold for $.10. Someone pointed this out to Walt Disney and suggested they raise the price. Walt said no, because those guidebooks were going to be great advertising for the park. People would see them on their neighbors' coffee tables and want to visit.

I don't keep a brochure at the sink where I brush my teeth and shave, but I do have several little bottles with Disney logos on them. I see them every day. We have a small sink area adjacent to the bathroom where my wife gets ready. On the counter is a little wicker basket with a lid we received from the Grand Floridian when we visited after they first opened.

Sometimes, the little trinkets and things serve more than the purpose for which they were intended and provide additional benefits. It's hard to put a value on memories.

You put that so well! I hope DCL Marketing sees your post! For those of us that get all mushy about special times with special people, those little things make memories flood back, yes? :cutie:

However, I must point out that standing in a shower that has been used by others (and hopefully cleaned & if it doesn’t even appear clean, I’m not even in it)

My feet don't touch the shower floor, 'cause I wear flip-flip type rubber thongs on my feet! :rotfl2: Truth. It protects me from anything that might linger like plantar warts virus or athletes foo, AND it keeps my feet from being so slippery. ::yes::

Yuck! After reading all this I'm glad that I bring my own stuff! I really do like bars of soap though so may need to get some little ones to bring.

Studies have been done that show there is a haven of bacteria found in refillable soap containers. Google it. One microbiologist have said it is cleaner to wash your hands in a toilet bowl than to use a refillable soap container. Studies have found there is harmful bacteria including fecal matter in refillables. Has Disney looked at the science behind this? I know they are trying to reduce their carbon footprint, but at who's expense. I would like to know how they will prevent the containers from being contaminated? When you read the findings you will never use refillable containers away from home again.

Links please to scientific published articles not websites trying to sell something.

I agree Disney is doing this to save money, but hate that we are continually asked to make sacrifices in the name of junk environmental science.

Which junk science is that exactly?

The articles said that when the soap container was not refillable, that there was not an increase in bacteria. But, if Disney wanted to go this route, instead of providing small containers, they could just put very large closed containers in the shower area, and replace those as needed. Perhaps not as environmentally friendly as refillable containers, but more sanitary.

I’m usually one of the first to agree that Disney cuts something in the name of putting more money back in their pocket, but cutting polluting waste is something they will want to do in order to maintain their “environmentality” reputation. We do not live in a static world void of innovation; bacteria in a closed environment is a no-no, so they will need to find a solution to that potential problem. Most cost effective? The room hosts will be required to completely sanitize the reusable bottles/pumps during each cleaning. Think about it. Most public restrooms don’t put much thought into those pumps other than refilling them. It’s not the first place you’d think would be germ-laden. So sure, if they can be germ-dirty then they will be. If the janitors are not sanitizing them, scientists will continue to cite this problem.

But there are country-sized.... COUNTRY-SIZED floating wastelands of PLASTIC garbage floating around our oceans. DCL prides itself on its leading position on ocean-safe and environmentally friendly practices. They are long overdue to get rid of plastic bags and single-use plastic items. So many people live in the now and disregard long-term consequences. We are already suffering consequences of our wasteful society. Do I enjoy collecting the character-adorned bottles and admire them at home? Sure. Will I miss taking them home? Sure. Will I think it lessens the value of my cruise? Nope. My hair requires my own brand of shampoo anyway, so I’ve always brought from home. I’ve flown and traveled around the country with bottles of liquid without spilling. It’s possible.

Sure, no one likes garbage in the ocean, but DCL is not putting small plastic shampoo bottles in the ocean. This is junk science because the plastic in the ocean is overwhelmingly a third world problem. People in the first world pat themselves on the back with the latest no straw trend, when in fact these efforts will have no impact on the garbage in the ocean. It will save Disney some money, however, and I do agree that it is about image too. Image over substance. How disappointing.

Sure, no one likes garbage in the ocean, but DCL is not putting small plastic shampoo bottles in the ocean. This is junk science because the plastic in the ocean is overwhelmingly a third world problem. People in the first world pat themselves on the back with the latest no straw trend, when in fact these efforts will have no impact on the garbage in the ocean. It will save Disney some money, however, and I do agree that it is about image too. Image over substance. How disappointing.
Based on what you said, you probably mean to say that it’s a junk statistic. The general science seems sound.

And yes, the no straw thing is a bit of an ego boost for us, but imo doing something and feeling smug about it > doing nothing and complaining that no one is doing anything.

Links please to scientific published articles not websites trying to sell something.

Which junk science is that exactly?
The junk science that doesn’t admit only 1%of ocean plastic comes from the United States. It’s not us polluting the oceans, so why must we make sacrifices that have zero net effect on the actual problem?

Exactly. Reducing our comfort and convenience, for no reason.

The junk science that doesn’t admit only 1%of ocean plastic comes from the United States. It’s not us polluting the oceans, so why must we make sacrifices that have zero net effect on the actual problem?

So our plastic is going in landfills instead of the ocean. We’re still producing way too much waste. You can’t look at one part of the problem and say well that’s not our fault why should I lift a finger to make it better. Maybe it’s time we accept small inconveniences for the greater good. And for most people it’s not even an inconvenience it’s just a change.

I know from personal experience Royal Caribbean uses shower dispensers, and I believe Carnival does, as well. I read tons of cruise reports and have never heard a peep of any issues or tampering, even with the dozens and dozens of sailings they do each week. I don’t see why Disney cruisers would be more prone to it. Maybe it’s just that I’m not at all a germaphobe, but this seems like a small issue - my hair hates Disney shampoo, anyway, so I always bring my own on the cruises and in the parks.

Just curious, is plastic waste collected separately in the US?
It's entirely up to each individual. If a person wants to, they can throw all their waste in one can and no one will say a word.

Some communities offer curbside recycling. In that case, it's still not required, but you can divert waste from the landfill that way. In my community, it's single stream recycling so glass, paper, and plastic all go together.

The fact is that when we all learned reduce-reuse-recycle, very few people emphasized that those 3 things are listed in order of impact. Recycling feels like an important thing, but the first two have a greater impact.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter