SHADES OF GREEN at Walt Disney World Resort Information & Questions

I just booked and I will be there August 22. I will keep everyone posted on the Poly walkway. If we walk on the grass/ swamp/street to go to Poly does it take a lot longer than the walkway?
Someone posted on the FB fan page that the walkway was open yesterday.
It was also posted that the alternate route they took was shorter than the walkway.
I think if you stay on the golf course side you'll be on manicured lawn with no swamp.

I just booked and I will be there August 22. I will keep everyone posted on the Poly walkway. If we walk on the grass/ swamp/street to go to Poly does it take a lot longer than the walkway?

Someone posted on the FB fan page that the walkway was open yesterday.
It was also posted that the alternate route they took was shorter than the walkway.
I think if you stay on the golf course side you'll be on manicured lawn with no swamp.
Thanks for the updates!!

I read awhile back that changes were made to the laundry rooms. Would anyone know if the machines are now accepting credit credit cards instead of tokens? Do they still have the detergent vending machines? We arrive on 8/11, so I'm in last minute detail mode.

I read awhile back that changes were made to the laundry rooms. Would anyone know if the machines are now accepting credit credit cards instead of tokens? Do they still have the detergent vending machines? We arrive on 8/11, so I'm in last minute detail mode.

We arrived this afternoon, and here is the current status on a few items recently discussed in this thread:

1) The walkway going over to Poly is open, we just walked it this evening to go over and watch fireworks. If there was a refurbishment that happened to the SOG path or the Poly path I couldn't tell, each path looked the same as it did when I walked it last year - and I was purposefully looking for changes.

2) There is now an entry gate on the walkway going back into SOG (see pic of signs below), and we rode over to TTC in the afternoon and coming back not only did we have to show our green SOG slip and ID getting onto the bus at TTC, a guard also comes onto the bus when pulling into SOG and checks everyone's IDs again. On the way off the bus I asked the driver it that happened every trip and she said yes it's every trip and started about 6 months ago.

3) I don't know about changes to the laundry room, I walked over to the one on 2nd floor on Magnolia Wing and it's the same token machine, detergent vending machine, and signs as were there last year. Maybe Palm Wing's laundry room has changed, but Magnolia was the same as before.

4) There is a part of Magnolia Wing on 3rd floor that is currently closed down for renovations (see pics below) - we are staying on Magnolia Wing 2nd floor and I've walked all of that and everything is open there, so it appears to only affect the 3rd floor for now, and appears to only blocks out a small number of rooms as compared to the entire facility... I assume they only take down 5% or so at a time to keep the capacity level up.

Any other questions let me know, I'm here for a week. :)

SOG1_20180804.jpg SOG2_20180804.jpg SOG3_20180804.jpg SOG4_20180804.jpg SOG5_20180804.jpg

We arrived this afternoon, and here is the current status on a few items recently discussed in this thread:

1) The walkway going over to Poly is open, we just walked it this evening to go over and watch fireworks. If there was a refurbishment that happened to the SOG path or the Poly path I couldn't tell, each path looked the same as it did when I walked it last year - and I was purposefully looking for changes.

2) There is now an entry gate on the walkway going back into SOG (see pic of signs below), and we rode over to TTC in the afternoon and coming back not only did we have to show our green SOG slip and ID getting onto the bus at TTC, a guard also comes onto the bus when pulling into SOG and checks everyone's IDs again. On the way off the bus I asked the driver it that happened every trip and she said yes it's every trip and started about 6 months ago.

3) I don't know about changes to the laundry room, I walked over to the one on 2nd floor on Magnolia Wing and it's the same token machine, detergent vending machine, and signs as were there last year. Maybe Palm Wing's laundry room has changed, but Magnolia was the same as before.

4) There is a part of Magnolia Wing on 3rd floor that is currently closed down for renovations (see pics below) - we are staying on Magnolia Wing 2nd floor and I've walked all of that and everything is open there, so it appears to only affect the 3rd floor for now, and appears to only blocks out a small number of rooms as compared to the entire facility... I assume they only take down 5% or so at a time to keep the capacity level up.

View attachment 341465 View attachment 341466 View attachment 341467 View attachment 341468 View attachment 341469

Thanks for the info Jeff, much appreciated!
My goodness, they have really stepped up security.
I am really surprised about the guard coming on the bus; pretty intense for SOG. I am very happy to hear that the walkway is open. I suppose the refurbishment on the SOG side was all about that security gate. By the way, how have the crowd levels been in the parks?

View attachment 341465 View attachment 341466 View attachment 341467 View attachment 341468 View attachment 341469
Thanks so much for the great information update! This gives me hope for our original plans to work, walking to the Poly super early to get first buses to places. No sleeping on vacation is a GO! :)

Yes, thanks for the info!! How much is detergent/wadh cycle/dry cycle at SOG?

Also, how do the magnolia refurbished look? Thinking of requesting that side, for its proximity to the pool. I assume you’re staying on that side? Any issues with hot water? I’ve read a lot of complaints about that; wondering if it was addressed in the upgrades.

Again, thanks!!!!

Thanks for the info! Palm’s laundry is card operated.

Indeed it is, as I just found out as several of the washing machines on the Magnolia side are out of order (I assume they are about to be replaced as part of renovation since Palm is updated), so we had to walk over to Palm...

See pics below - each wash and dry cycle is $2, each soap product is $1.

SOG1_20180806.jpg SOG2_20180806.jpg SOG3_20180806.jpg

Also, how do the magnolia refurbished look? Thinking of requesting that side, for its proximity to the pool. I assume you’re staying on that side? Any issues with hot water? I’ve read a lot of complaints about that; wondering if it was addressed in the upgrades.

I couldn't tell how refurbished rooms look, as I am on 2nd floor and must be in one that has yet to be done - as I seriously doubt a refurbishment would not replace the rusty old fan vent in the bathroom, which looked fine when I stayed here in 97 but yeah it's time to redo some of those old bathroom fixtures and fans, etc.

But even being in a room that's yet to be refurbished it's still in pretty good shape (rusty old vent notwithstanding), DD went on high school senior trip a few months ago and they all stayed at one of the basic Disney resorts (Pop, All Star Music,not sure) and she said she couldn't wait to get back to SOG, said she didn't care about having less theming pics, said she cared about having far more vanity counter space for makeup (gotta have priorities).

And to the question on previous thread about crowd levels - we went to MK on Sunday and touringplans predicted a '4' and I would say that was about right, maybe was a '5' based on my eyeball view of walking around. But no complaints about less crowds, that's for sure!

Indeed it is, as I just found out as several of the washing machines on the Magnolia side are out of order (I assume they are about to be replaced as part of renovation since Palm is updated), so we had to walk over to Palm...

See pics below - each wash and dry cycle is $2, each soap product is $1.

View attachment 341938 View attachment 341939 View attachment 341940

Thanks for the photos! The new machines are a big improvement; when were there last summer and they were limping along.

A couple other things that I forgot to mention -

1 - When I was at SOG in 2016 and 2017, the parking garage was really not enforced as the lowering arm just stayed up at all times and people drive in and out at will. Well that has changed. There is now a new machine there that makes you tap your room card to raise the arm, and if you don't have a room key then you press a button for a ticket. When you depart the garage you tap your room key to get out, or insert your paper temp ticket and pay the proper fee for the time spent there. Maybe they had a continuing problem with people coming onto the grounds saying they were just going to ticket sales and then parking there all day (while they walked over to Poly to catch monorail), or perhaps with people who failed to mention during check-in that they did have a vehicle in an attempt to skip out on the $7 per day parking. The new machine that is in place addresses both of those.

2 - FOR THOSE DRIVING - there is a change to the traffic pattern just before the MK entrance, as the old days of staying right going through MK entrance and telling CM that you're heading to SOG is now gone. The exit to take is now about 1/4 mile before the MK entrance and does not say SOG anywhere on the signs so just follow the signs to "MK resorts" and "golf courses" and then about 1/2 mile later you'll recognize the same road that takes a left to go past TTC there on the right, and so on.
  • If you fail to make the turn before the entrance (as I did because I'd been going through that entrance for many past visits), it's not a big deal as the CM will let you through and tell you to take the first left and go past the Car Care Center (stay in left lane after the Car Care Center) and then shortly after that you'll get to a U-turn and you can try it all again.
  • There is also a sign that says that another traffic pattern change takes effect 8/15/18 (we'l be gone by then) and I don't know what that change is, just just be aware that they are making changes in the area and the same way you may have taken for past trips may no longer be valid.

A couple other things that I forgot to mention -

1 - When I was at SOG in 2016 and 2017, the parking garage was really not enforced as the lowering arm just stayed up at all times and people drive in and out at will. Well that has changed. There is now a new machine there that makes you tap your room card to raise the arm, and if you don't have a room key then you press a button for a ticket. When you depart the garage you tap your room key to get out, or insert your paper temp ticket and pay the proper fee for the time spent there. Maybe they had a continuing problem with people coming onto the grounds saying they were just going to ticket sales and then parking there all day (while they walked over to Poly to catch monorail), or perhaps with people who failed to mention during check-in that they did have a vehicle in an attempt to skip out on the $7 per day parking. The new machine that is in place addresses both of those.

2 - FOR THOSE DRIVING - there is a change to the traffic pattern just before the MK entrance, as the old days of staying right going through MK entrance and telling CM that you're heading to SOG is now gone. The exit to take is now about 1/4 mile before the MK entrance and does not say SOG anywhere on the signs so just follow the signs to "MK resorts" and "golf courses" and then about 1/2 mile later you'll recognize the same road that takes a left to go past TTC there on the right, and so on.
  • If you fail to make the turn before the entrance (as I did because I'd been going through that entrance for many past visits), it's not a big deal as the CM will let you through and tell you to take the first left and go past the Car Care Center (stay in left lane after the Car Care Center) and then shortly after that you'll get to a U-turn and you can try it all again.
  • There is also a sign that says that another traffic pattern change takes effect 8/15/18 (we'l be gone by then) and I don't know what that change is, just just be aware that they are making changes in the area and the same way you may have taken for past trips may no longer be valid.

Thank you again for this information, you have been so very helpful!

We're excited to be back to SoG in November but this is the first time we could add the reservation to My Disney Experience. We have two reservations, both in my son-in-law's name as the service member. When I enter the reservation for DH and I, I am unable to change my son-in-law's name to one of ours. The only reason I care is for FP's at 60 days. Do I need to call WDW or can my son-in-law change the name on the reservation to ours? Or do I remember that I can make FP's for anyone in my friends and family list if someone has the ability to book at 60 days? Thanks for any help you can provide!

We had the same issue. My husband was the sponsor for two rooms, so the reservations default to him, and we were not able to list all three occupants of the second room. My daughter was left off. She is on our friend and family list.We were able to make reservations for her but only if she was doing the same ride as one of the persons that we could list on the disney site. She was not able to book a FP at 60 days for a ride only she wanted to go on.
Next time we book 2 rooms, my husband will be listed as the sponsor in one room, and I will be listed as the sponsor in the second room. Of course this won’t help if we book more than two rooms.
Another problem we have had is the SOG reservation keeps getting kicked off MDE. We did not lose the fast passes we already made, but we couldn’t add more without re-entering the room reservation. This happened a few times. Disney is aware that this was happening. I don’t know if they fixed it yet.

We had the same issue. My husband was the sponsor for two rooms, so the reservations default to him, and we were not able to list all three occupants of the second room. My daughter was left off. She is on our friend and family list.We were able to make reservations for her but only if she was doing the same ride as one of the persons that we could list on the disney site. She was not able to book a FP at 60 days for a ride only she wanted to go on.
Next time we book 2 rooms, my husband will be listed as the sponsor in one room, and I will be listed as the sponsor in the second room. Of course this won’t help if we book more than two rooms.
Another problem we have had is the SOG reservation keeps getting kicked off MDE. We did not lose the fast passes we already made, but we couldn’t add more without re-entering the room reservation. This happened a few times. Disney is aware that this was happening. I don’t know if they fixed it yet.
Thanks so much for sharing. If just one person is left off, we can make it work in that scenario .Seems like they'd realize this is a problem at SoG, though.

I think both SOG and Disney are aware but there’s a disconnect because SOG puts the reservation in the sponser’s name and Disney’s software is set up for their reservation system which doesn’t need a sponsor.

Thanks so much for sharing. If just one person is left off, we can make it work in that scenario .Seems like they'd realize this is a problem at SoG, though.

I found out from modifying my reservation from the last trip (which ended TODAY, sadly) that there is a price difference in the SOG rooms depending on how many adults are staying in a given room, so that part should be kept correct - however if you raise the number of children in the room by 1 to cover your other name, that won't change the room price and when the reservation modification feeds over into MDE (assuming it will) then it will give an additional slot where you can list your other person who needs to be set up for a FP.

So you can modify the reservation and increase the number of children by 1 in that room where you're short and see if that's a viable workaround until the interface between SOG and MDE gets the kinks worked out.

1 - Go on to site like you're going to book a room, then just to the left of the "check availability" button is a link for "view or change an existing reservation"
2 - Enter email address and confirmation number, then search - when your reservation shows up, click button on far right for "select"
3 - When reservation details show up on next screen, on far right at top (where it says 'options') use selector to choose "change guest/payment information"
4 - At next screen you can change details of names of adults and number of children, they save that and it will probably generate another email to you to confirm the modification

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter