The Running Thread - 2019

To go back to balancing running with family (and someone commenting about how Strava views treadmill runs).

I woke up early this morning to run, but I woke up later than I wanted (6 am vs 5:30). Of course, my kids woke up right as I was getting on the treadmill (so they were up 45 minutes early).

I paused my run to get them some food and settled with cartoons and toys. Back to running. Paused to bring them downstairs with me because they were fighting. Back to running. Paused to take them upstairs to DH because they were being annoying. Back to running. DH comes down to complain about our printer. Gave up on running.

In all, I had 45 minutes of running/moving time but 71 minutes of elapsed time. Garmin puts my run at 4.64 miles / 45 minutes (or something like that) while Strava puts it at 4.64 miles / 1:11 (15:16/mile) because it counted all the time when I had paused my Garmin. Don't enjoy that!

ATWQOTD: I can totally relate to this question right now. I have not run since the end of March. :( Just such a combination of things,
1. It is HOT! I absolutely do not feel like running at 3:30 in the afternoon when I get off work. I've mentioned it before but early morning runs cannot happen due to where we live and work schedule, etc. Unsafe roads, driving far to get somewhere to run. Also applies to evening runs.
2. I told DH I would take some time off from running since he always goes with me and he needs to get things done around our house/property. Speaking of my house, it is a WRECK! We had to stop mid remodel to allocate our funds to a couple of unexpected trips (DS's actual wedding, sigh and DSD having a military promotion/ceremony the week before she gets deployed to Kuwait - we want to see her before she goes). So I have holes cut in walls for doorways, flooring ripped up, stuff piled everywhere. I have major OCD and my house causes me great distress!
3. Laziness? It is hard to get motivated after being off for so long.

My solution is to register for the Little Rock Marathon on March 1, 2020. I KNOW I have to train for that race, I love the medal and I want to beat my marathon PR which I got there. I am thinking September as a start time for running again. Hopefully. DS does not even have a new wedding date set, just "sometime at the end of September or sometime in October". Makes planning things very difficult! But to be fair it is the military's fault, not his.

I don't have young kids at home but I still feel guilt for taking me-time.

No DL or WDW trips on the horizon so I have no contribution to the SWGE question. :(

To go back to balancing running with family (and someone commenting about how Strava views treadmill runs).

I woke up early this morning to run, but I woke up later than I wanted (6 am vs 5:30). Of course, my kids woke up right as I was getting on the treadmill (so they were up 45 minutes early).

I paused my run to get them some food and settled with cartoons and toys. Back to running. Paused to bring them downstairs with me because they were fighting. Back to running. Paused to take them upstairs to DH because they were being annoying. Back to running. DH comes down to complain about our printer. Gave up on running.

In all, I had 45 minutes of running/moving time but 71 minutes of elapsed time. Garmin puts my run at 4.64 miles / 45 minutes (or something like that) while Strava puts it at 4.64 miles / 1:11 (15:16/mile) because it counted all the time when I had paused my Garmin. Don't enjoy that!
To avoid this I simply stop and save each run if I have to use a treadmill and am interrupted. Of course, my interruptions are not after 5 minutes of activity. They tend to be after 30 minutes, when common courtesy dictates that I give up the treadmill for someone at the gym waiting, then I hop back on when another becomes available. Yet another reason that I hate treadmills.

To avoid this I simply stop and save each run if I have to use a treadmill and am interrupted. Of course, my interruptions are not after 5 minutes of activity. They tend to be after 30 minutes, when common courtesy dictates that I give up the treadmill for someone at the gym waiting, then I hop back on when another becomes available. Yet another reason that I hate treadmills.

It's not the most technologically advanced method, but I don't wear my watch on the treadmill at all. And then I take a phone screenshot of the display screen on the machine before I leave the gym and then I would manually enter it in strava (back when I was doing that.) But now I just add it to a file on my computer. But I also have yet to go all in on heart rate, etc, mostly due to just not forming the habit yet or getting my apple watch set up in a way I know how to track it.

I'm also the person who once forgot my watch and my headphones for an outdoor run and so then just used my stopwatch feature on my phone.

It's not the most technologically advanced method, but I don't wear my watch on the treadmill at all. And then I take a phone screenshot of the display screen on the machine before I leave the gym and then I would manually enter it in strava (back when I was doing that.) But now I just add it to a file on my computer. But I also have yet to go all in on heart rate, etc, mostly due to just not forming the habit yet or getting my apple watch set up in a way I know how to track it.

I'm also the person who once forgot my watch and my headphones for an outdoor run and so then just used my stopwatch feature on my phone.
The problem with this is that it is treated like all other manually entered runs - essentially Strava does not include it in its fitness calculations because the HRR data is not present.

I linked my garmin and strava in anticipation of the nyc virtual marathon, and this was a fluke occurrence, so I probably won't unlink them yet. But that's a good idea about creating a new run.

It is so darn yucky here (99% humidity this morning, yay), which is why I went with the treadmill.

Not running related, but...most of you can probably relate...

I got THAT message last night...you know, the one when a friend messages you to say, “hey, we’re in Florida at the beach and going to Disney tomorrow. Where do we get tickets? And is Fast Pass worth it? We thought we’d check with you since you go to Disney a lot.” 🤦‍♀️

In this heat? They are crazy crazy crazy. I weeded my flower beds yesterday and had to take shower number 3 of the day.

It happens even when I don’t pause my watch. On one run the moving times and average pace were a few seconds apart, but when I looked at the splits Garmin had me at an 11:xx for mile 1 and Strava 16:xx. I added up the splits in Strava and it was different than what it had for moving time and average pace. It’s just really wonky I guess.

PSA:

WEAR SUNSCREEN!!!

I always wear sunscreen. I had a tiny pimple like thing near hairline that wasn’t going away. I had a biopsy and it came back as basal cell carcinoma aka least dangerous skin cancer. I go on August 5th to have a Mohs Procedure done to make sure they get rid of it all.

PSA:

WEAR SUNSCREEN!!!

I always wear sunscreen. I had a tiny pimple like thing near hairline that wasn’t going away. I had a biopsy and it came back as basal cell carcinoma aka least dangerous skin cancer. I go on August 5th to have a Mohs Procedure done to make sure they get rid of it all.

Oh no! Will pray for you and hope it all goes away and fast recovery!

I linked my garmin and strava in anticipation of the nyc virtual marathon, and this was a fluke occurrence, so I probably won't unlink them yet. But that's a good idea about creating a new run.

It is so darn yucky here (99% humidity this morning, yay), which is why I went with the treadmill.
I used RunTrix last year for the NYC Virtual and am using it again this year for the NYC Marathon. My advice - if the Strava run does not look exactly right when you import it into RunTrix, mark the run as a "Regular Run AYF" in Runtrix when saving it. By doing that you avoid having RunTrix reset your expected paces. Essentially, RunTrix does not count the pace of AYF runs - only the mileage.

BTW, I also advise doing this anytime that you have an "off" run that is not indicative of your abilities - for instance, if you are sick, or if you just ran outside in 100 degree weather and you are not used to those conditions. These could produce much slower runs, and you don't want RunTrix to change your goal pacing because you had a bad day.

Agreed. The only thing I like about WDW's system is the MagicBand and being able to scan it for FP and make purchases with it provided it's linked to my credit card. But MaxPass is really nice. You can get a lot of FPs that way if you're aware of your window.

Completely agree. I was the official keeper of the tix and it was a royal pain to keep getting them out. And I had to carry a credit card since I couldn't just tap a magic band to pay for stuff. We did a Disney cruise the beginning of June and I was missing magic bands on that trip too.

ATTQOTDs:

@Wendy98 - will you be able to run Berlin? Can you defer?

I will most definitely be there! I will have readjusted goals, but no way am I going to miss it. I don't think I would have another opportunity to run Berlin for a few years. I am supposed to be doing NYC also, so I may aim for that to be my better effort.

I almost agree with this. However, almost nothing in fantasyland is available for FL FP which made going with small people harder than we expected. When we went without the kids, we much prefer the DL system over the WDW system so I am optimistic as they grow and take on bigger rides it will work out better.

We did all the Fantasyland little rides one morning when we were able to get in an hour early. Seems like everyone went to bigger attractions. I see why they don't have fp for those older rides--no place to put it. It seems so odd to wait outside and when you enter the building of the ride, it is RIGHT THERE. I am used to my themed line in a building. I think our longest wait was Peter Pan and we waited maybe 15 minutes. Again though, crowds seemed so light last week.

I love the treadmill and use it often, especially in this weather. I manually enter all runs in Garmin and Strava. I'm not hugely into data, so just like to have a record of my distance and pace.

15 min line for Peter Pan?! Unheard of! Even when we go EMH it's a 30 min wait. Casey Jr is another favorite of ours. We let a castmember know that one of us will wait in line while the other walks around with the little one, and they'll let us back into the line.

Treadmill + garmin has never worked out for me. I think my gait is really different when I run on a treadmill vs outdoors and the garmin picks up that I'm running very slow or not at all. So I just manually input everything.

@Bree - good luck on the Moh's procedure. I hope everything is caught!

Besides sunscreen, I always always always wear a hat. Even before sunrise - just like in my avatar. I've recently started putting sunscreen over my body, first it was to lessen the runners shorts tan, but now the sun is just too strong.

My strategy for Disneyland FL is to start at rope drop. Head straight for Peter Pan (in the pre-Max Pass days, I'd walk fast and get FP for Space Mountain and then meet the family at Peter Pan). We'd usually be on within 15-20 minutes and then ride Dumbo, Alice in Wonderland, Mr. Toad, Snow White, Pinocchio and Matterhorn, and then Storybook Land if it was open. We'd usually have most of Fantasyland done within that first hour, even on a busier day. But if you don't get there quickly, Peter Pan is going to have a long line for the rest of the day.

I'm not sure as to the current status of the race list, but I wanted to wish @StacyStrong and @KevM a fun time.
I myself am questioning the wisdom of even hitting the treadmill given the current heat wave here!

21 - StacyStrong - Chicago Rock N Roll 10k (1:27:00 / N/A)
21 - KevM - Double Trouble Trail Run (NG / N/A)

I'm not sure as to the current status of the race list, but I wanted to wish @StacyStrong and @KevM a fun time.
I myself am questioning the wisdom of even hitting the treadmill given the current heat wave here!

21 - StacyStrong - Chicago Rock N Roll 10k (1:27:00 / N/A)
21 - KevM - Double Trouble Trail Run (NG / N/A)
Thank you! Still planning to run, the heat is supposed to break here on Sunday, but it has definitely affected my training! I'll probably be taking it easier than I'd like, but hoping for a good time nonetheless!

@Bree DH just recently had a basal cell carcinoma - on his chest. Luckily Moh's was one and done; the margins were clear. Hope this is true for you too.

More PSA:

@dis_or_dat My daddy ended up having a chunk of the top of his ear taken off for basal cell carcinoma. He was a county agent who spent many hours in farmer's fields. Even though he always wore a cap, it was baseball cap style and left his ears vulnerable. So I always make a conscious effort to put sunscreen on my ears, whether I wear a cap or not!

ATTQOTD: I’m hoping to get in with a passholder preview. I stalk the preview watch thread over on TPAS like crazy.

Same. I've got my childcare planned, but I'm waiting to book flights and a hotel. This is really inconvenient for people who have to fly in, Disney. Get it together.

Other than that, I'll be there in November for Wine and Dine, probably January for my husband's work trip that I will tag along with him, and in April for our family's annual trip.

PSA:

WEAR SUNSCREEN!!!

That's scary! Praying everything is clear for you!

And here I'm thinking, "In July? Are you MAD?" But they're there already, so they presumably know what the weather's like.
My family went a couple of times in July on 4th of July weekend. :) The first year we went, there were definitely only 2 parks, and it was so crowded and there were people parked on the grass in the backs of the lots and they closed the parks very early. We did Illuminations that year. The second time, I think that MGM may have just opened and we spent the day there, but I can't remember if there was anything at night there. We may have gone back over to Illuminations that year, too.

Not running related, but...most of you can probably relate...

I got THAT message last night...you know, the one when a friend messages you to say, “hey, we’re in Florida at the beach and going to Disney tomorrow. Where do we get tickets? And is Fast Pass worth it? We thought we’d check with you since you go to Disney a lot.” 🤦‍♀️
This is totally feasible at Disneyland but the idea of going to WDW on a whim gives me major anxiety.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter