tilikums' life today

Status
Not open for further replies.
I remember going to Marineland in Ontario, Canada when I was 16 (in 1993) and seeing the killer whale show. Those poor orcas were stuck in small tanks back then. I never went back, I know it has changed, but I don't know how much. If someone can give me the information, which would really be appreciated.

To Juliannbabe: are you a vegetarian as well? Or do you wear fur or leather? Why are you on these boards? Why on a Sea World board? If you don’t like, then you shouldn’t come here. What about Animal Kingdom?

Marineland Ontario is no longer using the show tanks you probably saw (think it was called the King Waldorf Stadium?). They have a new habitat now called Friendship Cove, which is much larger. They also do not perform in the same style shows but do "Splash Sessions" instead, which are like mini-show/interaction sessions. Unfortunately they only have 2 orcas now after the untimely death of a young orca last year (Athena) so I think one of the tanks is being used to house the belugas.
I hope this has been helpful. :)

I have tried asking Juliannbabe similar questions, and I'm think I'm right in saying I'm yet to receive a response. Make of that what you will.

Marineland Ontario is no longer using the show tanks you probably saw (think it was called the King Waldorf Stadium?). They have a new habitat now called Friendship Cove, which is much larger. They also do not perform in the same style shows but do "Splash Sessions" instead, which are like mini-show/interaction sessions. Unfortunately they only have 2 orcas now after the untimely death of a young orca last year (Athena) so I think one of the tanks is being used to house the belugas.
I hope this has been helpful. :)

I have tried asking Juliannbabe similar questions, and I'm think I'm right in saying I'm yet to receive a response. Make of that what you will.

whatever answers i give - you will digress off of this subject. and that isn't gonna help anyone really is it?esp the whales/dolphins.

i don't eat meat, i won't be visiting disney anymore - what were the other questions?
whatever. lets keep it to marine parks and captivity.

...but as this is how seaworld started obtaining their animals, all of the animals that have been breed in to captivity are related to those animals that were captured in that way back in the day. again, Seaworld is still guilty of unethical practices even if their claim is that their animals are born in captivity. the problem is the way it initially started. that is the base of the argument that never needs to be forgotten.

Again, acceptable practices back in the day. I dont agree with what Seaworld did back in the late 60's early 70s as far as collecting Killer Whales from the wild. It wasnt just Seaworld, it was most marine aquariums. But we live and learn from the past. We learn from our mistakes. Seaworld today only has animals born into captivity or rescued from other marine parks. Their animals from the wild are only there because they are injured and once they are healthy to survive on their own, they are released.

...but as this is how seaworld started obtaining their animals, all of the animals that have been breed in to captivity are related to those animals that were captured in that way back in the day. again, Seaworld is still guilty of unethical practices even if their claim is that their animals are born in captivity. the problem is the way it initially started. that is the base of the argument that never needs to be forgotten.

All but 1 of the whales caught by Seaworld have since passed on. The majority of offspring that currently resides at Seaworld was born into captivity by whales who were rescued from other Marine parks.

seaworld have be granted to import a pilot whale for display in california. it currently living at a seaworld in japan:

http://www.federalregister.gov/articles/2010/09/10/2010-22518/marine-mammals-file-no-15014

I knew it was a matter of time before you posted this link. ;)

This whale like you said, is currently living at Seaworld in Japan. This Seaworld in Japan has NO connection with the Seaworlds in the United States. With that said, this is another rescue by Seaworld. This animal is living in deplorable conditions at this marine park. And Seaworld is going to offer it a better home. Again, this is how Seaworld gets their animals. Through rescues from the wild if the animal is injured. In this case, the animal is released back into the wild when it has recovered. Or the animal is rescued from poor conditions at another marine park. In this case, the animal is unreleasable because it has lived in captivity for so long.

There is a mermaid show over by Tampa. Silver springs or something. I remember seeing it as a little kid. And some time ago I saw a special on tv about how they select the mermaids. Very cute and still in operations. Something else to consider if any one is visiting Busch Gardens for the weekend.

Weeki Wachee is the park with the Mermaid show over on the West coast of Florida. It is located just North of Tampa. Not sure if it is still open or not but I went years ago and it was a nice park to spend a half day in.

I enjoy discussing this issue with you :) Where did you get that info. from?

All but 1 of the whales caught by Seaworld have since passed on. The majority of offspring that currently resides at Seaworld was born into captivity by whales who were rescued from other Marine parks.

I enjoy discussing this issue with you :) Where did you get that info. from?

I enjoy debating this topic with everyone here too!

Here is the site where I started learning about Seaworlds Killer whales. (It also lists every Killer Whale currently in Captivity in the world)
http://www.orcahome.de/stataqua.htm

As you can see, there is a current list of Killer whales that reside at Seaworld.
There are 5 whales that were collected from the wild that now live at Seaworld. This is indicated by the "?" next to their name. Because it is unknown what whale they were born to in the wild.
Tilly
Corky2
Ulises
Katina
Kasatka

Tilly was rescued by Seaworld when he was living at Sealand of the Pacific.
Corky 2 was rescued by Seaworld when she had been living at Marineland.
Ulises was rescued by Seaworld when he had been living in a park in Spain
Katina was rescued by Seaworld when she had been living in at Marineland

And then there is Kasatka. Kasatka is the only whale that Seaworld got from the wild. Now after you asked my this question, I went and did a little more research and found that Kasatka was living in a Marine park in Iceland called "Saedyrasafnid Aquarium." (Dont Ask me to pronounce that name :lmao:)

Saedyrasafnid Aquarium is the place that captured Kasatka. After about a year, she was sent to Seaworld. So you could look at it both ways. And because of this im on the fence. I havent dont enough research on Saedyrasafnid Aquarium to see what the conditions were. I can imagine they werent to pretty. But I dont know for sure. I dont even know if this place still exists. So again, you could look at it as Seaworld got Kasatka from the wild. Or you can look at it as Kasatka was originally captured by Saedyrasafnid Aquarium and lived there for a few months before she was moved to Seaworld. If you go with the 2nd choice, then technically, ALL of Seaworlds current Killer Whales were born into captivity or rescued from other marine parks who had inappropriate living conditions.

Weeki Wachee is the park with the Mermaid show over on the West coast of Florida. It is located just North of Tampa. Not sure if it is still open or not but I went years ago and it was a nice park to spend a half day in.

Weeki Wachi is still open atleast seasonally.

Whether any one wants to remember about the start of the company, it's pretty much a moot point. The person that made the decision then isn't around to make decisions now. It's like blaming your mother for having you when she was 16 or something (not you, but just a person in general). What are you going to do now?? Disown her? She's already raised you, you're already an adult, so you're just going to turn your back on her for something she did years and years ago. Or worse off kill yourself because you don't believe you should have existed??
These whales, they're here, they exist, they need to be taken care of. These people that believed it was ok to catch the whales is like that 16 yr old mother. Sea World is like an adoptive parent, stepping in the make sure that child (this case a whale), is well taken care of and raised as best as possible. Sea World can't hold actions against the people that did this, just make the best of the situation at hand.

Sea World is a business, they need to stay open, and they need to continue care for these animals. No one on this board is doing anything about it, but arguing with each other. And you know what, I don't think any CEO of a marine park is going to be following along on some little bickering chat on a Disney forum. If you don't want to go to Disney, Sea World, or wherever else there may be animals, then close your account and get off the boards.

Why don't you start with a smaller fight first. Did you know that clown fish and damsels are the only two salt water fish that can be breed in a tank?? Did you know that every salt water aquarium in a home has fish and coral taken right out of the oceans?? Our beautiful coral reefs are being depleted and we keep taking. Did you also know about the millions of lion fish that every one must have for their salt water tank is a non native species to Florida, yet there are thousands living in the Atlantic because of careless fish owners.
At least the sting rays, penguins, orcas, dolphins, sea lions, beluga whales, are all breed in captivity and kept in captivity. It's not affecting the outside population of the species, but may be helping to save it because the captive ones might be the only ones left.

I knew it was a matter of time before you posted this link. ;)

This whale like you said, is currently living at Seaworld in Japan. This Seaworld in Japan has NO connection with the Seaworlds in the United States. With that said, this is another rescue by Seaworld. This animal is living in deplorable conditions at this marine park. And Seaworld is going to offer it a better home. Again, this is how Seaworld gets their animals. Through rescues from the wild if the animal is injured. In this case, the animal is released back into the wild when it has recovered. Or the animal is rescued from poor conditions at another marine park. In this case, the animal is unreleasable because it has lived in captivity for so long.

i was thinking that i didn't know there was a seaworld in japan.

are they allowed to use that name? i thought 'seaworld' would be copyrighted.

i can only imagine what conditions it is living in. (as you know) i don't agree with captivity but if they look after that whale the way they look after their dolphins (did you see the footage of them cleaning out a empty tank with dolphins laying on the floor?) then this whale will think it is won the lotto if it makes it to sea world in california.

Whether any one wants to remember about the start of the company, it's pretty much a moot point. The person that made the decision then isn't around to make decisions now.

someone asked about the history of seaworld and them capturing whales in the 1970's is part of that history.
some visitors (i bet a lot of visitors actually) probably just think that all their whales have been born in capitivity - so it good to educate them about ALL of seaworlds history.
then they know more complete real seaworld story when they visit the park.

about your people arguing point. We can't live in 'disneyland' all the time. its good to debate things sometimes.

Whether any one wants to remember about the start of the company, it's pretty much a moot point. The person that made the decision then isn't around to make decisions now. It's like blaming your mother for having you when she was 16 or something (not you, but just a person in general). What are you going to do now?? Disown her? She's already raised you, you're already an adult, so you're just going to turn your back on her for something she did years and years ago. Or worse off kill yourself because you don't believe you should have existed??
These whales, they're here, they exist, they need to be taken care of. These people that believed it was ok to catch the whales is like that 16 yr old mother. Sea World is like an adoptive parent, stepping in the make sure that child (this case a whale), is well taken care of and raised as best as possible. Sea World can't hold actions against the people that did this, just make the best of the situation at hand.

Sea World is a business, they need to stay open, and they need to continue care for these animals. No one on this board is doing anything about it, but arguing with each other. And you know what, I don't think any CEO of a marine park is going to be following along on some little bickering chat on a Disney forum. If you don't want to go to Disney, Sea World, or wherever else there may be animals, then close your account and get off the boards.

Why don't you start with a smaller fight first. Did you know that clown fish and damsels are the only two salt water fish that can be breed in a tank?? Did you know that every salt water aquarium in a home has fish and coral taken right out of the oceans?? Our beautiful coral reefs are being depleted and we keep taking. Did you also know about the millions of lion fish that every one must have for their salt water tank is a non native species to Florida, yet there are thousands living in the Atlantic because of careless fish owners.
At least the sting rays, penguins, orcas, dolphins, sea lions, beluga whales, are all breed in captivity and kept in captivity. It's not affecting the outside population of the species, but may be helping to save it because the captive ones might be the only ones left.

Sandra9810-Respectfully, even with differing opinions on this thread, I have to disagree with the statement of getting off the boards as it serves no purpose to argue. I don't see too many people actually arguing (well,maybe a few posts;) but overall just learning different things. I know KBF has pointed out a LOT of very interesting facts and even your above post regarding the salt water fish not mating has personally enlightened me to a few things.:goodvibes

Even though posts on a disboard won't change world policy, I'm very glad to be a part of this discussion and appreciate everyone sharing their knowledge!
Again, I mean no rudeness toward you, just offering a different way to look at it! :goodvibes

I'm all for learning about the history of the parks. I love the history of Disney. But neither poster is going to change their minds on how the feel the park should be run. And some how the conversation always turns back around to the "beginning" as to where it all went wrong. After KBF provides adequate information on the current conditions, or how it came about.
I also don't understand how you could be on a board (while I know every topic is not about Disney), when every one else loves and enjoys the parks. But you clearly stated you would never return to sea world, disney, or any other place where there are animals.

i was thinking that i didn't know there was a seaworld in japan.

are they allowed to use that name? i thought 'seaworld' would be copyrighted.

i can only imagine what conditions it is living in. (as you know) i don't agree with captivity but if they look after that whale the way they look after their dolphins (did you see the footage of them cleaning out a empty tank with dolphins laying on the floor?) then this whale will think it is won the lotto if it makes it to sea world in california.

I think the copyright is only for places in the United States. I think there is also a Seaworld in Australia. And that too has nothing to do with the Seaworld in the United States. I did see that dolphin video. Such a shame. Have you seen the video of the dolphins being kept in a small home pool in Egypt?

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepag...olphins-kept-in-dirty-30ft-swimming-pool.html

I think the copyright is only for places in the United States. I think there is also a Seaworld in Australia. And that too has nothing to do with the Seaworld in the United States. I did see that dolphin video. Such a shame. Have you seen the video of the dolphins being kept in a small home pool in Egypt?

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepag...olphins-kept-in-dirty-30ft-swimming-pool.html

terrible. couldn't watch the video - briefly read it.

lets hope the sun newspaper gets a campaign going and they go save them.

again, seaworld would be heaven for these guys. thats how bad those conditions are in egypt.

egypt like a third world - they don't care about people so they aren't gonna care about a few dolphins.

update - just heard that those four dolphins are gonna be rescued and relocated. don't know by who or any details at the moment. people might not like the sun newspaper in the uk - but sometimes they get stuff done when it needs to be done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter