Unusual and Inventive item ideas to pack

We were told (early in our cruising career) that most times the crew members don't really appreciate the $2 bills. Apparently (at least at that time) there were many foreign banks/merchants who think they're "funny money" and won't accept them.

From what I was told, all crew members on board the ship can use the purser's office for all their "internal" banking needs. So, they can easily just put the $2 bills into their account there or just get it exchanged for singles. Yes, going there might be a little more cumbersome, especially with the long work hours crew members have. But I think most of them would go there quite regularly anyway if they are in a position where they get cash tips in order to not have a lot of cash lying around in their shared quarters. Yes, they might want to have a few dollars around for when they can go on land, but the odd $2 bill should not be the biggest issue. From what I understand there areN#t enough around anyway that all cruisers can start tipping solely with them. ;)

I think if one would want to come up with an issue about this, it might be more that the CM doesn't even notice that he or she was given a bigger tip. I think they see one bill and think that it is a single. Who knows when they will actually find out that it was not a single. So, the tippers good intention might be wasted.

A side note: we always take down all the hangers from the closet so we don't have to hear them rattling all night if/when the ship gets a bit rocky

Good reminder. On our first cruise that just about drove us crazy the first night!

I have a small bag of "essentials" that I take on every single trip, cruise or otherwise. It includes a small travel alarm clock so I don't have to guess about resetting the room clock; a small flashlight in case there is a power failure or I need to move around the room at night while DW is sleeping; a small repair kit containing a sewing kit, duct tape, some zip ties, and a small multitool (made for keychains); and a small med kit containing OTC pain meds, bandaids, and moleskin. I throw in a wine opener and Swiss Army knife if I'm checking the bag. I don't need every single item on every trip, but over the last 15 years or so I've used every single item, some more than once.

I have the exact same kit! It has been more handy than I can say, especially the sewing kit, moleskin and duct tape! Mine also includes a small pair of scissors and a tweezer.

Where o where did I see it posted that some wipe down airplane trays and the like with sanitizing wipes? I have a question. How do you carry sanitizing wipes on plane? I just ordered the Clorox hydrogen peroxide wipes but the container will be too big. Can I just carry a few in ziplock Baggie and check the bigger container? Will they allow thst? The question sounds dumb even to me, sorry

At the Dollar Store, we buy the Clorox travel wipes -- they come 9 in a pack. I've even bought them in bulk on Amazon and they average about $1.00 a pack. If you get the wet ones, make sure you get the antibacterial ones for wiping down areas. We pack individually wrapped alcohol wipes for wiping down toilet seats/handles in a hurry, and for medical use. I've packed some of the packets in my carry on with my testing kit, and never got called out on it :confused3

I have the exact same kit! It has been more handy than I can say, especially the sewing kit, moleskin and duct tape! Mine also includes a small pair of scissors and a tweezer.

My little multitool includes scissors and tweezers. I think DW uses it more than I do.

I bring a large bag of Hershey's miniatures and leave them as "tips" every night for Mousekeeping. :goodvibes Then leave their monetary tip our last day :teeth:

Okay, I have to ask...

Verandah club? Is that like the Mile High club?

Clothes pins. To keep the curtains closed on the window.
Extra paper. For making comments on the comment card.
Personal water bottle. No need to lug a case of bottled water onboard.
Clothes pins to keep the shares closed. BRILLIANT. I hate that crack of light down the middle.

Small set of sand toys if I can fit it in the luggage! Fun for my girls to have a small bucket & shovel to play all day in the sand at Castaway and any other beach day we do.
Sharpie's for autograph books, ziplock bags are a MUST for keeping things waterproof, solar or battery backup phone charger, battery operated night light for bathroom is needed because it's pitch black in the room at night & leaving 1 light on is way too bright, nail polish remover & polish (paint always chips on beach days!), aloe vera gel for any sunburns, pop up hamper was very useful, lots of pirate gear!! Think go-big-or-go-home on Pirate Night!

Small set of sand toys if I can fit it in the luggage! Fun for my girls to have a small bucket & shovel to play all day in the sand at Castaway and any other beach day we do.
Sharpie's for autograph books, ziplock bags are a MUST for keeping things waterproof, solar or battery backup phone charger, battery operated night light for bathroom is needed because it's pitch black in the room at night & leaving 1 light on is way too bright, nail polish remover & polish (paint always chips on beach days!), aloe vera gel for any sunburns, pop up hamper was very useful, lots of pirate gear!! Think go-big-or-go-home on Pirate Night!

One year we did WDW Halloween night and then got on the cruise. My DH and DD decided to pack full pirate gear that year - tricorn hat, boots, vests, jackets, to wear both at WDW and on Pirate Night. It took up a whole suitcase but the pictures are amazing and one of my favorite souvenirs. That was our last year to do it and I am really glad we did.

One year we did WDW Halloween night and then got on the cruise. My DH and DD decided to pack full pirate gear that year - tricorn hat, boots, vests, jackets, to wear both at WDW and on Pirate Night. It took up a whole suitcase but the pictures are amazing and one of my favorite souvenirs. That was our last year to do it and I am really glad we did.
LOVE THAT!!! pirate:

I keep a corkscrew in my travel cosmetic bag. We also have a magnetic dry erase board for the stateroom door - the kids enjoyed writing notes to the host.

Wait, what?! There aren't clocks in the room anymore?! Its been a year since I've been on the Magic but we had a clock.

We had a combined digital clock and iPod charging device in our cabin last September on the Fantasy. I can't remember in any of our DCL trips not having a clock of some type in the room. Even when they were those cute little propeller ones. Ahhh. Memories. I bought one of those though. It stopped working about 6 months after we bought it. Boo!

The clock on that September 2015 cruise was SO bright that I had to put something over it at night. I couldn't sleep!

Does the phone alarm clock not work on the ship? I usually just set it. I don't have an alarm clock otherwise.

Okay, I have to ask...

Verandah club? Is that like the Mile High club?

It is an "adults-only experience(s)" making use of the verandah. Please make sure that the children are safely engaged elsewhere, preferably without self-checkout privileges at the club. Be warned, some members have "enjoyed" a permanent souvenir nine-months after their (re)joining.

The phone alarm works just fine as long as you can figure the whole military time thing. ex. 4 oclock = 16 hundred hours

It is an "adults-only experience(s)" making use of the verandah. Please make sure that the children are safely engaged elsewhere, preferably without self-checkout privileges at the club. Be warned, some members have "enjoyed" a permanent souvenir nine-months after their (re)joining.
Like that Disney Cruise commercial, hm?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter