Who here has walked away from social media?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love FB to keep up with distant friends and family, but I think I am done. I am not interested in moving over to Parler or anything, I think I'm just done.
Maybe I just delete everyone except the closest friends and family, and eliminate "acquaintances?"

What strategy have you taken, if you made this move?

**I'm still good with twitter for getting news, and I like message boards like this for general stuff. I just don't need to know every detail of people's lives and especially their political info right now. I think we'd all be better off without it.
I've cut my "friend" list down to about 40 people I need to communicate with occasionally for groups we are in. Because they are rather inactive at the moment, I only check FB about 2-3 times a month. I do enjoy IG, but have limited myself since just before the election. Travel forums are my happy place, these days. I have a Parler account, but never started following anyone. It's there if I want it later, I guess.

My social media history: Yahoo chat rooms 1997-1999. Myspace 2005-2007. Facebook 2009-2011. Babycenter 2003-2017. Found DIS through Babycenter. Been here ever since. Did take about a 12 month break from DIS and came back this past October aka basically when things we're shutting down for a second time. Needed the distraction.

I can't walk away from Social Media. Being on a Social Media is a job requirement because Facebook is the medium that many government agencies (Fire, Police, Cities) use to communicate with the media and the public. I get it. It's easier than assembling e-mail mailing lists, and it adds to transparency since everyone can access the information.

I can't walk away from Social Media. Being on a Social Media is a job requirement because Facebook is the medium that many government agencies (Fire, Police, Cities) use to communicate with the media and the public. I get it. It's easier than assembling e-mail mailing lists, and it adds to transparency since everyone can access the information.

However, you don't need to be an active participant in order to see those. Public agencies generally broadcast to anyone, where there's no need to have a Facebook account to see their posts.

I'm pretty much over FB for what it started as (keeping in touch with close friends/family). It seems everyone is just posting meme's and political crap. I guess the only reason I actually use FB is following brands/attractions to see what is new. Stuff like the new releases of Disney Dooney purses. Or different attraction websites to hear about new hours, etc. I never really got into Twitter and honestly don't quite understand it. IG I have it, but rarely use it. Seems repetitive of the things I follow on FB. I do Snapchat occasionally but it seems that is all just stupid stuff for peoples stories. I'd much rather engage in message boards such as this.

I'm pretty much over FB for what it started as (keeping in touch with close friends/family). It seems everyone is just posting meme's and political crap. I guess the only reason I actually use FB is following brands/attractions to see what is new. Stuff like the new releases of Disney Dooney purses. Or different attraction websites to hear about new hours, etc. I never really got into Twitter and honestly don't quite understand it. IG I have it, but rarely use it. Seems repetitive of the things I follow on FB. I do Snapchat occasionally but it seems that is all just stupid stuff for peoples stories. I'd much rather engage in message boards such as this.
I don't think I've ever communicated through any friends/relatives through any kind of social media. They have my cell phone number and can always send me a text message.

I have sort of punched out of all media, so tired of loons either screaming or crying night and day.

Well I got a new phone in November FB kicked me out. Of course I do NOT remember my password and do not have the phone number I gave when I joined who knows when, but I do have the email. Now they want a gov't ID to let me back in, no email and won't reply to requests because I send images of my dog and memes for ID ... ummmm nope, when did THAT happen, I am not getting carded to see what my elementary school friend's kids are drinking.

I do this because it's sort of like getting out and shooting the breeze with neighbors on the grocery line, which I can't do right now.

Last edited:
I don't think I've ever communicated through any friends/relatives through any kind of social media. They have my cell phone number and can always send me a text message.

Oh I remember 10+ years ago on FB where instead of sending out group texts we'd post on our wall asking who wanted to go do something on Saturday. Then we'd be able to have a discussion about time to meet up, etc. Easier than all the text notifications. Or stuff like seeing extended families Christmas Day photos where they'd upload like 50 photos from the day. When you aren't near family that you'd celebrate with, it's not realistic they'd text you that many photos. It might just be a couple photos texted.

We use Facebook rooms to video chat with family.

However, you don't need to be an active participant in order to see those. Public agencies generally broadcast to anyone, where there's no need to have a Facebook account to see their posts.
I don't know. My wife isn't on Facebook and complains she can't get to Facebook pages.

I don't know. My wife isn't on Facebook and complains she can't get to Facebook pages.

I believe that's a matter of some Facebook pages requiring someone be logged in or where it may be invitation only. I haven't heard of any police department Facebook or Twitter site where they don't broadcast messages to anyone.

I deactivated my real FB acct years ago and just check out events, updates for Universal and other destinations/businesesses through an anonymous acct. Never used twitter or IG - just not interested. But on a bunch of diff special interest discussion forums.

Walked away from FB in 2008 and never looked back. Never had a Twitter or Instagram account. I do look at Twitter for news and sports, but don’t have an account. I use Reddit for specific communities (mainly for specific TV shows, sports teams, or video games like Animal Crossing). This is the only social media I use.

I only have Facebook to promote my business and keep up with family. My wife always ask me "did you see my post" and I'm like, um no lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter