OFFICIAL 2018 Christmas & Holiday Time at DLR Superthread!!

Will be at the Disneyland Hotel Dec 21-25 - first extended DLR trip (my brother lives in San Diego so we usually just drive up for a couple days when we visit him) - many WDW trips in the past but looking forward to DLR trip!

So our trip has been moved. Due to my girls have choir concerts on the 11 and 12th-we are moving our trip to December 1-6. I am happy that it is even closer however, I am sad that that means about $1500 less to spend. We will have fun no matter what!

We will be there for a day before and a day after a cruise, so November 23 (Black Friday!) and then again on November 30!! We'll just be staying with family that lives locally for these dates. And then we'll be back again about a week later on December 10-14 staying on-property for the first time at DLH! :hyper:

On 11/23, we're taking my niece and nephew for their first visits, and we are so excited!! I'm still debating on doing Black Friday or Saturday the 24th. I've gotten a mix response on which day will be worse. We are totally prepared for crowds, but if one day is better than that other, I'd love to know!:confused::confused::confused:

We will be there for a day before and a day after a cruise, so November 23 (Black Friday!) and then again on November 30!! We'll just be staying with family that lives locally for these dates. And then we'll be back again about a week later on December 10-14 staying on-property for the first time at DLH! :hyper:

On 11/23, we're taking my niece and nephew for their first visits, and we are so excited!! I'm still debating on doing Black Friday or Saturday the 24th. I've gotten a mix response on which day will be worse. We are totally prepared for crowds, but if one day is better than that other, I'd love to know!:confused::confused::confused:

I have no idea. We are flying in the 23rd and may add a 5th day to our ticket and hit the park that evening, or just do DTD. Touring plans historic crowd calendar had Friday 6/10 and Saturday 5/10 if that helps! Saturday will have magic morning. So if you don’t have magic morning I would be inclined to go on Friday so you start at the same time as everyone else.

What cruise line are you using?! I so want to do this! Combine my two favorite vacation types into one!

47 days until we can make reservations and 107 until the trip! I’m a teacher and about to get back to work and I know that will make time fly!

I updated the front page to reflect everyone’s trip dates that has shown up on our thread so far! Please let me know if I missed you!

We'll be in park Nov 26-30, staying at BW PPI. First day will probably be just a half day as we fly in at 9am. It's been years since I've seen a Disneyland holiday so I'm very excited. My kiddo will be five and she's super excited for the extra magic. We may have been watching POV clips on YouTube to get amped up. We originally had planned to be there the week of 12th but had to change our plans due to a cheerleading competition. I think I'm glad it worked out that way. 108 days and counting!

Went back and forth between this and a cruise! In the end, DH DS4 and I are going to DL on Dec 21-27, staying st GCH! Woohoo! It’ll be DS’s first trip to DL though he has been to WDW and TDL. So excited!!! :banana:

After 35+ vacations to WDW we are planning our first ever visit to DL! Well, we are actually going to CA (Joshua Tree, San Diego)...and decided that we just can't be in CA and NOT try out DL... We had a big WDW vacation spring break 2018, so I wouldn't say we are financially prepared to spend a bunch of money on Disney again so soon. However, we definitely want to spend at least a day in the parks but are more likely to purchase two day passes (three would be a stretch, but possible).

We arrive into LAX very late on Friday the 14th of December. We do not want our first visit to DL to fall on a weekend because of crowds so we are going to do other things. I was planning on holding off on visiting DL until Monday, possibly visiting there Monday and Tuesday, and then heading down to San Diego. I have read some things that said Monday crowds in DL are awful. Are they really awful (for us that would be Dec. 17)? Awful like a weekend in December crowd? I see advice about waiting until Tuesday, Wed, Thur... (in our case those dates would be Dec. 18, 19 and 20) but that is putting us very close to Christmas crowds, I would think. If you have experience at DL that time of year would you say the Monday crowds would be horrible? Would we be significantly better off waiting until Tuesday the 18th of Dec. for our first day?

I have no idea. We are flying in the 23rd and may add a 5th day to our ticket and hit the park that evening, or just do DTD. Touring plans historic crowd calendar had Friday 6/10 and Saturday 5/10 if that helps! Saturday will have magic morning. So if you don’t have magic morning I would be inclined to go on Friday so you start at the same time as everyone else.

What cruise line are you using?! I so want to do this! Combine my two favorite vacation types into one!

I hadn't even thought about Magic Morning! Since we won't have it, Friday would probably be a better choice for us. I think I'd be pretty darn happy if touring plans is right, and the crowds are a 6 that day!

We are doing a short Carnival cruise down through Catalina to Ensenada. This will be the first cruise for most of our group which consists of me and my husband, my parents, two brothers, one sister-in-law, one sister, one nephew and two nieces!!

We arrive into LAX very late on Friday the 14th of December. We do not want our first visit to DL to fall on a weekend because of crowds so we are going to do other things. I was planning on holding off on visiting DL until Monday, possibly visiting there Monday and Tuesday, and then heading down to San Diego. I have read some things that said Monday crowds in DL are awful. Are they really awful (for us that would be Dec. 17)? Awful like a weekend in December crowd? I see advice about waiting until Tuesday, Wed, Thur... (in our case those dates would be Dec. 18, 19 and 20) but that is putting us very close to Christmas crowds, I would think. If you have experience at DL that time of year would you say the Monday crowds would be horrible? Would we be significantly better off waiting until Tuesday the 18th of Dec. for our first day?

I think you are better off doing Dec 15 and 16 because all the APs except the 2 highest are blocked. Deluxe is open Mon-Thurs and I suspect there will be more people trying to squeeze in a trip for the christmas decorations before it's blocked for the next 2 weeks. Most schools won't be on break yet, so people are less likely to start their trip that soon. Monday and Tuesday might be ok too (but probably busier than the weekend IMO).

Okay..

I’m starting to formulate various plans and scenarios in my head.. haha! I’m so excited.

Would it be crazy to see Fantasmic twice in one trip? I LOVE LOVE the shows. If WOC is still down and especially if they don’t run PTN I am seriously considering booking two fantasmic packages because well... I love it so much! Is that crazy?!? We live in Iowa and only to get to Disneyland every other year most likely..

I think you are better off doing Dec 15 and 16 because all the APs except the 2 highest are blocked. Deluxe is open Mon-Thurs and I suspect there will be more people trying to squeeze in a trip for the christmas decorations before it's blocked for the next 2 weeks. Most schools won't be on break yet, so people are less likely to start their trip that soon. Monday and Tuesday might be ok too (but probably busier than the weekend IMO).

Jperiod,
Thank you for your input! The Saturday recommendation is surprising!

Does anyone know, From how far away can you hear the candlelight processional?

If I want to hear the choirs singing should I plan on spending the day waiting behind white rope in Town Square/Main Street?

Or is the singing piped in to the speakers around the end of Main Street?

I don’t mind not being able to see but would like to hear the event...

Also, when the choir is walking the parade route to get there are they singing? Or just walking...

TIA for any advice!

Hi all,
Haven't been to DL in 5 years and sooo excited to be taking our DDs (ages 5 & 8) this Dec. We are staying at DI&S and looking for advice for which days to spend at the parks. We were planning on being in the park for three days Dec 16, 17 and 18 but open to suggestions.
(details: We fly in on Dec 14 and fly out Dec 19. We need to drive down to San Diego one day to visit family, could stay overnight there or not)
Which days do you think will be least crowded? I read just above (JPeriod, Belle5) that AP are blocked for weekend of Dec 15-16 so maybe that's better. Planning on getting 3 day tickets and using MM on the Tues. We are on tight budget so was going to skip Hopper option unless folks think that's a big mistake...
Happy planning everyone!

Last edited:
Okay..

I’m starting to formulate various plans and scenarios in my head.. haha! I’m so excited.

Would it be crazy to see Fantasmic twice in one trip? I LOVE LOVE the shows. If WOC is still down and especially if they don’t run PTN I am seriously considering booking two fantasmic packages because well... I love it so much! Is that crazy?!? We live in Iowa and only to get to Disneyland every other year most likely..

I'd love to do Fantasmic! twice! If you have the time and the budget, it sounds like a lot of fun! Or you could do one package and then plan on using FP for the other show.

Going with fam for one day December 29 - dreading the crowds but it was the only time we could get Disneyland to work in our plans! Are there any tip threads or good resources on how to survive one day at Disney during Christmas Week?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter